Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi install

Kev77
Tutor

New Orbi install

Newbie here guys. I upgraded from a Netgear ac1750(Connected to PACE AC5268 through AT&T) to the AC3000 system. Took awhile to get everything synced and working but once it was working, it was not very good. I was getting all kind of speeds on the speed test... 1 time it would be 123mbps, next it would be 30-40mpbs, next 20-30mpbs, back up to 60-70mpbs. It also would drop the internet connection throughout the night. I read forums I checked some settings, and everything seems ok. About 11pm, I decided to hook up the ac1750 and run the Orbi in AP mode and it has worked great, getting a constant 110-120mpbs throughtout the house and 60-70 in the garage, no hiccups when streaming Directv Now. Only problem is I lose all the benefits of the Orbi, correct? I can no longer manage devices, parental controls, etc...Is there a trick in the settings that I'm overlooking? Does anyone have a list of what all advanced settings should be set to? The firmware is updated to the newest release. Thanks 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New Orbi install

What mode is your PACE AC5268 working in? Modem/router mode or bridge?

Yes when the Orbi is in AP mode, none of the router features are neede in AP mode since AP mode doesn't require any routing and management features since there would be another router online that would be handling those features.

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. Then you'll get all the Orbi router features.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios and uPnP on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 16
Kev77
Tutor

What I did was setup everything back the way it was before. I had the wifi on PACE 5268ac turned off. I connected the AC1750 back up and also turned off wifi, just testing it with the Orbi and that works great. To my knowledge, I do not have the 5268 set to bridge mode(about 95% sure, will check later). My initial setup was 5268 wifi off(no bridge) to Orbi through LAN in router mode, thats where the issues occured 

Message 3 of 16
Kev77
Tutor

Is my best bet to

-Set Pace Router to bridge mode

-Set Orbi to Router Mode

-Place Orbi in a bedroom 20 ft away

-Place Satelitte in maybe gargage, about 25-30 ft from Orbi

I still run all of my ethernet from Pace router to TV, Kids game system, Apple TV, etc correct?

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Use the DMZ on the modem for the Orbi router until you can find out if you can bridge the modem. You'll be fine.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

@Kev77 wrote:

Is my best bet to

-Set Pace Router to bridge mode YES

-Set Orbi to Router Mode YES

-Place Orbi in a bedroom 20 ft away YES

-Place Satelitte in maybe gargage, about 25-30 ft from Orbi Starting distances between the router and satellite should be 30 feet.

I still run all of my ethernet from Pace router to TV, Kids game system, Apple TV, etc correct? NO, run all ethernet from the orbi. If you seem to run out of LAN port room, find a non managed swtich to add to the back of the Orbi router and then connect up your ethernet devices.

Message 6 of 16
Kev77
Tutor

Thanks for the info, very helpful. My issue is that the router is setup by TV, apple tv, etc in living room, which works out really well for AP mode but lose the benefits of Orbi's router mode. Have TVs and streaming devices in 3 other bedrooms. Will probably have at&t come out to move it to get the best out of the network 

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck.

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the status on this? I see you posted in the recent FW version thread.

Whats going on?

What mode did you set on the ISP modem?

What channels are you using? Auto or manual?

Message 9 of 16
Kev77
Tutor

The Pace 5268AC doesn't have a bridge mode. I disabled the wireless on the Pace and running the Orbi in AP Mode, channel 6 on 2.4 and 48 on 5ghz. Getting dropped connections, slower speeds, having to reboot the Orbi to get back to normal speed everyday(according to test ran on my apple devices). Won't know for sure if its the connection to the iphone that is messing up or the system slowing down until I run a test from my laptop tonight. Just aggravating 

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

Other channels 1 and 11 busy?

Are you sure the radios on the modem are Disabled fully? No just hide the SSID names, there should be a disable radio feature possibly on the modem as well.

Message 11 of 16
Kev77
Tutor

I will try to disable MIMO, Daisy chain etc tonight. Yes the radios are disabled fully, there is an option in the modem to disable the radios. Thanks for the input 

Message 12 of 16
Kev77
Tutor

does the Orbi "mesh" feature still work in AP Mode? Is it switching devices as they move around, etc? 

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 14 of 16
Kev77
Tutor

I just talked to my internet provider. I read online that the 5268ac can't be used in beidge mode. He told me that all they have to do is disable the 5268ac on their end and hook my Orbi up to the 5268ac and I'm good to go... Going to give that a try when I get home and hope for the best 

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the DMZ on the ISP modem for the Orbi router. This will work...should work.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7