Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Orbi user here. Should I update from V1.12.0.18?

sfnorton
Follower

New Orbi user here. Should I update from V1.12.0.18?

I installed the RBK53 system and its working really well right out of the box on V1.12.0.18.  Should I leave well enough alone or go ahead and update the firmware?  I’m comfortable with doing these sorts of operations but have noted that some users have had bad results with Orbi systems after updating. Is there a consensus here about whether or not to update?

Thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
godspeed
Apprentice

Re: New Orbi user here. Should I update from V1.12.0.18?

Netgear has halted the auto-upgrde of firmware for the time being (holidays).  When they resume, your system will automatically be upgraded to the latest version, which may, or may not break your stability.

There is a thread here that walks you through using TELNET to modify the NVRAM parameters to turn off the auto-upgrade, but i would not attempt this unless you are fairly "computer savy".

Personally, i have had constant reboots with BOTH of my RBK50s (bought from amazon and walmart), running the 2.0 and 2.1 firmware versions.  I downgraded to 1.11.0.20, turned off the auto-upgrade via telnet, and have now enjoyed 8 days of no reboots!  I do run the Orbis in AP mode though...I let my Asus AC86 handle the routing and network security.  Not sure i would recommend downgrading that far if you run Orbis in router mode, as you may lose out on security patches.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7