Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBK30 - what is the safest newer FW version?

netgearguy
Apprentice

New RBK30 - what is the safest newer FW version?

I've just set up an RBK30 (RBR40 & RBW30)...just blown away by the speed improvement over my older Nighthawk R7000. DId not know I was living in the dark ages.  🙂

I'd like to update the FW. I currently have very old 1.8.0.4. 

However, given the number of posts about problems w/connection dropping I'm hesitant to udpate to the very latest. I know FW updates bring security fixes for real issues, but the last thing my family wants is flaky connections. 

Appreciate advice regarding what newer FW versions are considered stable/reliable. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Odd...I posted a reply just a few minutes ago and it has completely disappeared.  Second try...

Based on all the feedback 🙂 I have updated to the following FW versions:

RBR40: V2.0.0.56

RBW30: V2.1.0.18

• I had some disconnects last night and rebooted a couple of devices to clear out any cobwebs 
  • This AM my wife had problems streaming a radio station from her phone, I was able to use the same app on the same station on my phone now issues. She turned wi-fi off/on and was OK the rest of the morning 

Overall things have been good, will monitor stablity and decide if I'm keeping or returning over the next few weeks. 

It does seem like Netgear rushed the release on 2.1 to get it out before the holidays, and may have shot their customers and themselves in the foot as a result. If stability isn't excellent I'll have to return the Orbi and (for the first time in a very long time) look to a networking solution from another vendor. 

Oh, and BTW the Netgear, I can't even select my product (RBK30) in the "Model selection" field when composing a message - the only available option is the RBK50. 

Message 2 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

And just had a complete (whole house) internet drop (wi-fi stayed connected) for about 20 seconds or so. 

Cleared up fairly quickly, didn't have to do anything but curse and wait while I was unable to work from home.  Not something I would see w/my previous (albeit slower) router, R7000 Nighthawk. 

Netgear, please skip the features for now and focus on stability/reliability alone. That is PARAMOUNT. 

Also, forgot to mention above that I can see my RBW30 statelite and connected devices in both the mobile app and in the router management pages from browser on my laptop. So that display of information is working for me.

Message 3 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

I had more problems - lost the entire wirless network at one point, and lost internet again while keeping wi-fi, so I rolled back the RBW30 statelite to 2.0...

We'll see if that helps, but I'm not optimistic, and don't really like running older FW and not having the security updates and hopefully bug fixes they contain. 

Message 4 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

OK, here we go again...wi-fi and ethernet networks MIA again just a few minutes ago. 

First clue is watching youtube on TV (which is on ethernet) and suddenly stops/not available, check laptops and phones, and no wi-fi network whatsoever. 

So...Orbi is orbiting the drain, is probably going to star in the "Return Of the Orbi to Best Buy" at a theater near you.  

So sad...just the most basic blocking and tackling - have a network consistently available, is not happening on Orbi.  

Last-ditch effort - I've updated to 2.1 on both router and satellite. Things came back up OK, satellite does show up on the router management page home screen as connected to the router, and I can view connected devices. 

Will monitor and if drop-outs continue to occur, will end this and go get a Eero or Amplify and see how that goes. So sad - would really prefer that Orbi would just work. 

Message 5 of 42
mccx
Star

My suggestion is if you can return it, do it while you can.   Otherwise you will be stuck like us, wasting time (a lot of time) troubleshooting.

It's extremely frustrating that netgear cannot get this straighten out.   I was in the middle of doing something very important and my internet disconnected yesterday.   This happens constantly throughout the day and I cannot get a stable connection.

Message 6 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Yes, it is frustrating. Lost connection again just now, Wi-Fi network disappeared, and satellite had purple ring which later turned blue when things reconnected.

I have a little time to be patient, but the family will only wait a short while before they get to tired of this.

Too bad, I LOVE the speed of this router when it's connected.
Message 7 of 42
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would start by looking what is connected to your Orbi to find the cause of the disconnects. I know it should not do it no matter what devices on the network do, but I've seen that the firmware is not as reselient as it should be. If the disconnects are quite frequent and predictable, I would start shutting down / disconnecting from wireless the devices that you suspect could be the cause and see if the disconnects don't happen.

I know it doesn't happen to me and a great many users so it's not as bad as it appears to be. For me I traced the disconnects to a bad IP camera that was interacting badly with my NAS on UPNP. I turned off UPNP and the issue has not come back for months now.

Message 8 of 42
Retired_Member
Not applicable

for those of you who are experiencing wifi problems, did you do a manual update on the firmware or was it auto?

Message 9 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

My devices arrived with 1.x FW on them. Updates were a combination of one auto (initial update from 1.x to 2.0 on the router) and manual (updating the satellite from 1.x to 2.0, then 2.1, and then back to 2.0).
Message 10 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Since I've never had disconnects like this w/my previous routers (primarily Netgear) I don't really have much info to suggest what might be the root cause. 

Also, I don't think turning off UPNP would work for me - I use DLNA to stream between different devices (NAS to speakers, NAS to TV, etc.), and I believe DLNA relies on UPNP for interconnectivity. I also have remote connect options for my NAS which I believe use UPNP. 

Lastly, I don't think it's a checkmark in the "Win" column if I have to turn off basic features to make something work. It's like saying "My car works fine as long as I don't use AC when going over 40 MPH."  I should not have to disable or avoid basic functionality to use a router. It's OK if it's short-term stop-gap w/a solution in progress, but not as a general approach for a router I'll likely keep for the next 3-5 years. I've got a return window on this router and will need to know for sure that it works reliably w/out "work-arounds" or it will have to go back, unfortunately. 

Message 11 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Credit where credit is due. 

So far today (it's 2 PM): 

• Wife had a brief hiccup when streaming a radio station on her phone
  • Shortly thereafter I was walking by the satellite and it was glowing blue, so it appartently had just reconnected after losing connectivity 

Since then no drops that I've noticed. That's approx 6+ hours w/out a problem and is a definite improvement. It's one of those good news/bad news situations: 

• The Good News: This is the most stable the router has been since I installed it. 
  • The Bad News: This is the most stable the router has been since I installed it. 

🙂

Message 12 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

...and we've had another network drop. 

Network disappeared on all devices at the same time. 

Went to look at router and satellite, and router was blinking white, router solid purple. So router may have rebooted, or simply lost and then restored the network/connectivity. 

So things still aren't quite right. Going to look into exchanging my unit for another to rule out a HW issue - this isn't happening to every customer, the most basic testing on Netgear's part would have seen this in that case, so possibly an issue w/supplier part quality, general QA, or use of multiple chipsets/suppliers that cause differences between units. 

If an exchange doesn't resolve this then will have to move on, most likely to Eero. 

Message 13 of 42
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

UPNP is not strictly necessary and is not a great way to control access into your internal network. I prefer to open ports to specific devices manually anyways and that way I know that a new device on the network will not take my remote access to hell.

You do not need UPNP for DLNA on the internal network.

If you have a NAS it you have documentation for all the ports that you need open to it for all the services.

In any case if the RMA does not resolve this issue for you then try my suggestion out. I've been working now for months with nothing that I need missing, no disconnencts and great speed. Sure it involves some troubleshooting work yourself that should not even be an issue, but it is what it is. 

Or from a number of reports - return the Orbi and buy something else... just apparently not a VELOP - though my friend that has one has had a great experience with a VELOP system ... so like anything YMMV.

Message 14 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Thanks for the additional details...I just noticed that Daisy Chain Topolgy and MU-MIMO were both enabled after the reset (weren't previously AFAIK) so I've turned both off based on some info I found in the forums here, will see if removing either of those helps. 

If that fails to help I may try turning off UPNP, but don't like to having to manage ports manually - getting lazy I guess.  🙂  UPNP isn't perfect, but it "just works" and has been hassle free for me on previous routers, so I don't like having to give that up, frankly. 

I've actually ordered an Eero and will receive it tomorrow, and then will compare coverage/speed/reliablity to the Orbi to help me make my decision. The Orbi coverage and speed is fantastic, but I/my family just aren't willing to have the connection keep dropping. I work from home regularly and getting booted out of conference calls and loosing connection when working on remote docs/web sites just doesn't cut it. Though slower, my Nighthawk R7000 never dropped connections multiple times a day...

Message 15 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Multiple disconnects tonight. Called support back and will be called back tomorrow AM arrange an RMA, to see if a change of hardware helps. Will set up Eero tomorrow and wait for replacement Orbi to arrive.
Message 16 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Strange behaviour on this board...three times now I've posted replies and have had them disappear later. Anyway...

Got callback from support and in the end they said the best approach, since I was in the return window, to return/exchange for another unit. Unfortunately the BB was out of the RBK30, so I ended up buying the Eero 1 + 2 setup (router and two beacons). 

Way more than I wanted to spend on "just a router" (didn't these things use to cost $90?!) 🙂 but in the end the amazing Amazon reviews (85% Five star, 5% 4 star) helped me decide to go for it. 

Son is working on final essay for class so can't set it up now (and yes, it's killing me sitting here looking at the new router and unable to set it up/play with it). I'll give it a spin and if it "just works" then probably won't revisit the Orbi at this point, too much instability for me right now. 

Message 17 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

OK, son took a break, dad jumped in like a superhero to install the Eero. So far so good. 

The pros: 

• The hardware looks good (not cool, but at least good), nice simple design
  • Small form factor - both router and beacon are signiificantly smaller than Orbi (the router is maybe 1/5 the size of the Orbi tower) and the Eero satellite/beacons are smaller/sleeker and less obtrusive as well. The smaller form factor of the router is helpful in our office where space at the desk where i have my networking base setup is at a premium. 
  • Beacons have "night lighting" feature I particularly like - the bottom of the unit has a build in LED light that works very well for the one placed I have in a hallway, and you can disable it if you like, set it it to a schedule, or light up when ambient light is low 
  • Speed is on par w/Orbi so far overall - might give a slight edge to the Orbi (and to give credit where due, the Orbi was only using a router and one beacon) 
  • No drops (but it's been all of about an hour and a half since i set it up)
  • Potential add on services - including VPN, PW manager, ad blocking (I know, they are turning me into an annuity!). The cost is cheap  enough at $100 a year and would have the benefit of me not having to spend any significant time setting up, administering and managing them. I was already looking into moving to a password manager and VPN options for my family anyway. 

The cons: 

• No web interface for router management! This surprised me. Web access could come, but who knows. The Eero mobile app is pretty good, and allows a fair amount of customization, but I really want a web interface to the router
  • I got stuck during initial setup when I was adding the beacons...there is a screen in the add beacon flow where the "Next" button is hidden below the bottom of the screen. You have to scroll down to see it, and there is no indication that the scree scrolls or has more content below. Actually got stuck there and had to call support to get past that issue. 
  • Router did not default to "traditiional" DHCP lease range starting from 192.168.1.2..but you can set DHCP range in Network Settings>Advanced>DHCP and NAT, and also reserve IPs, etc. in Advanced settings. I have a few devices that are mapped from family computers so I want to keep them on 192.168.1.x IPs and I don't want to have to re-do mapping when I switch routers.  
  • Significantly more expensive than the Orbi RBK30 - $249 for the Orbi w/one beacon vs. $349 for the Eero w/two beacons. I could have gotten the $249 Eero system w/one beacon, but decided I wanted the "insurance" of the extra beacon as the number of devices and our internet use seems to persistently escalate. 
Message 18 of 42
tagteam
Virtuoso

@netgearguy wrote:
No web interface for router management! This surprised me. Web access could come, but who knows. The Eero mobile app is pretty good, and allows a fair amount of customization, but I really want a web interface to the router

You might want to check out their community (if you haven't already done so) and take a peek at their list of feature requests (link below). It doesn't appear as if they have any plans whatsoever to implement a web interface. It might not be in your case, but that is a deal breaker for me. So, if I ever have similar issues with Orbi, I plan to pack it in and just get a regular tri-band router and probably one or two of those X6S (EX8000) range extenders. Good luck with your eero system.

https://community.eero.com/t/y7t861/list-of-current-feature-requests 

Message 19 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Quick update - Going on 7 hours later and no drops, solid connectivity w/the Eero. 

Message 20 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Next morning. Zero stability issues - connectiity has been consisten/uniterrupted. 

However, speed tests using speetest.net app in my normail locations have fallen. 

At the end of the day I was in the 70 to 80 range from a location in my house that I work from. That's lower than I saw w/the Orbi, which was up to 90 and more in the same location. 

This AM i'm in the 30's to 40's earlier today, now back up in the 70's/80's. 

Orbi was more consistent in terms of speed while I had it set up, but dropped connection repeatedly. Eero has very reliable connectivity, but appears to be running at lower overall speeds, and speed is less consistent. 

I've ordered another Orbi RBK30 system from Amazon (first one came from Best Buy) and will try it to see if I had a HW lemon the first time...there are many positive reviews on Amazon for the Orbi RBK30 system, including ones from folks who say they've updated the FW. So if I get a "good" unit I might get both higher speeds and reliable connections w/Orbi. 

Obviously sitll undecided on Eero vs. Orbi. 

Message 21 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

Day 2 on Eero. No drops, no issues.

Speed test this AM:

70-75 mbps on Galaxy S7 Edge/Nougat

120-130 mbps on Nexus 6P/Oreo

90-100 mbps on iPhone 6Pj

Message 22 of 42
Retired_Member
Not applicable

what did the eero cost you?

how many ethernet ports in the entire setup?

Message 23 of 42
netgearguy
Apprentice

$349

Two ports on the router, none on the satellites (called beacons by Eero) which was fine for me as I didn't need/use the ports on the Orbi satellites. So you have one port for the WAN connection, and one port out to a single wired device, or to a switch to connect more wired devices. 

A multi-port switch by the router is a must with Eero if you have multiple wired devices. I already happened to have an 8 port switch in my system right next to the router, so the lack of ports on the router was a non-issue.  You can pick up a switch for a few dollars if you don't have one, obviously. 

You can also get what they call a Eero Pro system, which essentially is just three routers, rather than one router and two beacons, or one router w/one beacon (which is $249). Almost $500 for the Eero Pro system seems way over-priced IMHO. 

The Orbi HW definitely provides more bang for the buck w/four ports on the router and one each on the satellites that the RBK30 system provides, for $249 (and on sale recently at $199).  Orbi support was also much easier to get to than Netgear support where I waited on hold for over 30 minutes when I called them. Eero support wait was a few minutes. Once connected the support experience was very good w/Eero, but it was almost as good with Netgear. But the long wait w/Netgear was really annoying. 

But disconnect/reliability issues (and unclear if that's entirely a FW issue, or a combined FW/HW issue) made the superior HW features on the Orbi a moot point for me. 

Message 24 of 42
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@netgearguy wrote:

$349

Two ports on the router, none on the satellites (called beacons by Eero) which was fine for me as I didn't need/use the ports on the Orbi satellites. So you have one port for the WAN connection, and one port out to a single wired device, or to a switch to connect more wired devices. 

A multi-port switch by the router is a must with Eero if you have multiple wired devices. I already happened to have an 8 port switch in my system right next to the router, so the lack of ports on the router was a non-issue.  You can pick up a switch for a few dollars if you don't have one, obviously. 

You can also get what they call a Eero Pro system, which essentially is just three routers, rather than one router and two beacons, or one router w/one beacon (which is $249). Almost $500 for the Eero Pro system seems way over-priced IMHO. 

The Orbi HW definitely provides more bang for the buck w/four ports on the router and one each on the satellites that the RBK30 system provides, for $249 (and on sale recently at $199).  Orbi support was also much easier to get to than Netgear support where I waited on hold for over 30 minutes when I called them. Eero support wait was a few minutes. Once connected the support experience was very good w/Eero, but it was almost as good with Netgear. But the long wait w/Netgear was really annoying. 

But disconnect/reliability issues (and unclear if that's entirely a FW issue, or a combined FW/HW issue) made the superior HW features on the Orbi a moot point for me. 

Thanks...that's a fair price.  I'm currently not having any issues (other than the constant blue light on one of the sats this morning).  I do use 2 of the ethernet ports on the router and 3 on one of the sats.

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7