Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBK50/53 Series Firmware Version 2.7.3.22

nicholb
Luminary

Dropouts continued so I've reverteted to 2.7.2.104. Then had one more drop out after that. If it happens again I suppose I'll need to try a factory reset as reverting is not a normal thing and may need that to fully drop back.  About to pull the trigger on a WiFi 6e mesh system so won;t have to mess with this for much longer. 

Message 26 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch been performed after the FW update? 

@nicholb wrote:

Dropouts continued so I've reverteted to 2.7.2.104. Then had one more drop out after that. If it happens again I suppose I'll need to try a factory reset as reverting is not a normal thing and may need that to fully drop back.  About to pull the trigger on a WiFi 6e mesh system so won;t have to mess with this for much longer. 

Message 27 of 91
Aggie88
Apprentice

I don't know why but my Orbi auto updated to 2.7.3.22 overnight.  I didn't see it until I was troubleshooting a problem with my Synology NAS and the UPS connection and saw that the Orbi restarted about 3:45 this morning (about 10 hours ago).   I can't find a setting to disable the auto update feature but I thought I had it disabled previously.  It seems okay right now so I'll leave it until I see a problem and then reevaluate.   We will see what happens!

Message 28 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Seems that NG is starting to auto push FW since this first appeared. 

Id do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

If you run into anything you can do a reset and reload. 

I would power OFF the ISP modem, RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON with the modem, then RBR then RBS in mean time. 

Orbi doesn't offer options to disable auto updates. 

@Aggie88 wrote:

I don't know why but my Orbi auto updated to 2.7.3.22 overnight.  I didn't see it until I was troubleshooting a problem with my Synology NAS and the UPS connection and saw that the Orbi restarted about 3:45 this morning (about 10 hours ago).   I can't find a setting to disable the auto update feature but I thought I had it disabled previously.  It seems okay right now so I'll leave it until I see a problem and then reevaluate.   We will see what happens!

Message 29 of 91
nicholb
Luminary

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a WiFi 6e mesh from another company. The Orbi is still doing drop outs and I'll probably just put up with it until the new system arrives rather than go through the work of factory reseting and configuring from scratch. 

I'm probably just buying into a new set of issues as a newly released router tends to have some bugs. 

Message 30 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

A reset should be performed, at least while you wait on the new system. 

I've not seen issues with v22 loaded on my RBK50 system. Though my one RBS50 is ethernet connected. 

Good Luck.

@nicholb wrote:

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a WiFi 6e mesh from another company. The Orbi is still doing drop outs and I'll probably just put up with it until the new system arrives rather than go through the work of factory reseting and configuring from scratch. 

I'm probably just buying into a new set of issues as a newly released router tends to have some bugs. 

Message 31 of 91
gr8sho
Virtuoso

I too am going to (once again) voice my displeasure with this practice of auto updating the firmware.  It's a feeling of being ambushed as I'm now forced to take action to recover my home network.  Netgear is prioritizing its own selfish needs over that of its customers.  

Message 32 of 91
nicholb
Luminary

New system arrived early. Boy is it noticably faster. I can only conclude something in the Orbi was causing a slowdown as my internet speeds are 400/20 which should have been well with in the Orbi capability.  I noticed the speed checks on the Orbi were a bit slow and I had done a full reset and configure by hand back when 104 came out with no change. 

Message 33 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@atanvarno wrote:
I have fiber, it’s some generic router that handles SFP to Ethernet conversion. When connected to Orbi, it’s placed into Bridge mode so there’s no double NAT.
I login to my ISP through Orbi’s PPPoE admin page.

Message 34 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@CaptainPing wrote:

I'm noticing a lot of issues with gaming through ethernet and on my phone. I get these massive lag spikes and sometimes the game will fail to load. All of my phone apps seem to be struggling to load and my tv has similar issues with the youtube app. I'll give it one more day and then I'm rolling it back to the older firmware I've been using if it keeps up.

Message 35 of 91
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@nicholb wrote:

New system arrived early. Boy is it noticably faster. I can only conclude something in the Orbi was causing a slowdown as my internet speeds are 400/20 which should have been well with in the Orbi capability.  I noticed the speed checks on the Orbi were a bit slow and I had done a full reset and configure by hand back when 104 came out with no change. 

Could you send me a PM with the information about your new mesh. I'm also on the way away from netgear products. 

Message 36 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Some RBR50 v22 Speed results:

Iphone 12 Max iOS 14.6:

Iphone12MaxRBR50v22SpeedResults.PNG

ASUS GT-AX11000 wireless bridge mode:

ASUSGTAX11000wireless2RBR50SpeedResults.png

Wired 1000Mbps Windows 10x64 connected to RBR50:

949MbpsWiredSpeedResults.png

Message 37 of 91
nicholb
Luminary

Much better speed than I was able to get. For over a year I had not been able to get over 200 down wireless on a 400 service. Wired was fine from the router and got near 400. It did not matter if I was connected to the router or satellite. I even did the full factory reset and manual setup a few months ago to see if that would help. 

Message 38 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

WIred should see near 400Mpbs if thats what you get from the ISP. Wireless kind of depends on device and there max supported speeds and mimo antenna support. 2x2 are usually limited to 300-500 range. 4x4 antenna supports much higher speeds. 

Message 39 of 91
nicholb
Luminary

Same testing device on the new mesh sytem gets 350-450 wireless. Only difference is changing out the Orbi. 

Message 40 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless devices are you testing with? 

Hopefully keeps working well for you. Keep an eye on it. 

Message 41 of 91
nicholb
Luminary

Similar results on 3 testing devices. Samsung S21 Ultra, Samsung Tab S7+, and an Alienware Win 10 laptop. 

Message 42 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, thanks. 

Message 43 of 91
spiderfiend
Aspirant

This firmware bricked my rbr40 router.
I think the satellites are ok but I can get the main router to respond. Holding the reset button for any combination of time lengths doesn't help and neither does tftp options. Left for vacation and came back to no internet and an expensive paperweight.
Message 44 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

This FW thread is for 50 series Orbi systems ONLY. 

For 40 series, you need the version from here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2120311#M123...

Please respond in that thread for your model Orbi. 

Contact NG support for additional help and information.

@spiderfiend wrote:
This firmware bricked my rbr40 router.
I think the satellites are ok but I can get the main router to respond. Holding the reset button for any combination of time lengths doesn't help and neither does tftp options. Left for vacation and came back to no internet and an expensive paperweight.

Message 45 of 91
PCSP
Guide

Message 46 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

What was this reference too? 

@PCSP wrote:

Please use this mode - PPPoE in ISP Router

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK53-Speed-Issue-with-wired-backhaul/m-p/2116645/highlig...

Message 47 of 91
PCSP
Guide

Message 48 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

Oh, you might quote his post and tag there name to get there attention. 

@PCSP wrote:
My quote is missing

I reference to this -
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2114945/high...

Message 49 of 91
vondie
Aspirant

Hi,

I've tried twice to update my RBR50 using this latest firmware 2.7.3.22 two days ago. I got no problem on the updating process. But i got serius problem after the update process is done. Suddently the WAN port is not working... or being disable... i don't know why. Even after i reboot the router a few time, the result is still the same. I've try using the automatic update and manual update. Both way give me the same result. So i revert back to firmware 2.7.2.104 .... everything is back to normal.

Connection:
ISP -> Manage Switch -> Orbi RBR 50 -> Orbi RBS 50

- Orbi Router only do PPPoE and PPPoE IPv6. 
- No Vlan setting enable on my Orbi 50 as the manage switch already done the job.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 50 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7