Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.5.2.4 Officially Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.5.2.4 Officially Released

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where the Nintendo switch failed to connect to the Internet after the Orbi installation due to IP conflicts.
  • Fixes the system stability issues that occurred after the firmware updated to v2.5.1.32.

This includes all RBK5# series systems.

Get it here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062319/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-2-4

Post in this thread for problems, help and information. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 35

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

I was asked to post this:

Just got off the phone with my NG rep. He said the ONLY official releases are located here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/download/

He said any other pushed releases may be a result of settings on the Orbi device, such as Armor, Disney, etc., and specific for that particular device, but not official for all devices.

He said he is aware of the download pages for newer firmware, but didn't comment further.

So the Netgear firmware version confusion continues.

Message 2 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Both versions appear when I input rbk50...

Also found here when you select DOWNLOADS:

https://www.netgear.com/support

RBK50

Message 3 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Both versions appear when I input rbk50...

Also found here when you select DOWNLOADS:

https://www.netgear.com/support

RBK50

Netgear needs to get their act together with regard to their download website. 

Both new versions of the firmware show up if you search RBK50 or RBK53, but not if you search RBR50 or RBS50, which is actually what the RBK50 and RBK53 systems are. Plus RBK50, RBK53, RBR50 RBS50 models in the V2 version, show 2.5.1.16 as the latest firmware.

Make it very confusing for the user, especially a novice.

Message 4 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Patience is key. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 35
EchoZulu
Aspirant

I updated today and now my daughter's Nintendo Switch regularly disconnects while playing online. Previous firmware had no issues.

Oddly enough the release notes indicate this new version addresses Nintendo Switch connectivity. Sigh!
Message 7 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the system for 1 miinute then back on after the FW update? 

Go back to v16 or what was working.

@EchoZulu wrote:
I updated today and now my daughter's Nintendo Switch regularly disconnects while playing online. Previous firmware had no issues.

Oddly enough the release notes indicate this new version addresses Nintendo Switch connectivity. Sigh!

Message 8 of 35
EchoZulu
Aspirant

I powered off for 5 minutes after update. I already downgraded to .16 and everything is stable again.
Message 9 of 35
thisoldhouse
Aspirant

I had to just downgrade back to 2.5.1.16 because the latest firmware wrecked our wifi on all devices.  Running speedtest via Orbi app shows we're still getting full signal from the pole but if you try to run it in browser, it won't even connect.  Every device is slow.  Tried all the usual reboots, etc but nothing has worked.  So frustrating for them to release firmware that makes the products unusable.  Our kids schoolwork could barely connect.  I'll be staying with 2.5.1.16 for good.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 10 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 11 of 35
Chetter
Tutor

Yes, I am going back to 2.5.1.16 as well.

2.5.2.4 is the first firmware in 2 years that caused issues for me. I always do factory reset after update, by the way.

I am 2 weeks with 2.5.2.4 now, and have issues where clients would randomly disconnect, or wont connect at all automatically.

Message 12 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Revert back to v16. 

@Chetter wrote:

Yes, I am going back to 2.5.1.16 as well.

2.5.2.4 is the first firmware in 2 years that caused issues for me. I always do factory reset after update, by the way.

I am 2 weeks with 2.5.2.4 now, and have issues where clients would randomly disconnect, or wont connect at all automatically.

Message 13 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, I got word that NG is reviewing the problems found in both v4 and v70 versions of FW. 

Message 14 of 35
Raekon
Tutor

Every time I see a new firmware update I download it, hoping to see improvements in stability and bugs compared to the last version, and every single time the situation seems to get worse! I can't remember a firmware update that clearly made my network much better since the very first ones I did years ago, it's actually quite upsetting that I had a much better product years ago when I bought it, despite the regular stream of updates. This particular new firmware makes your wifi go extremely slow and it's definitely the first time I considered downgrading because it was straight up unusable on all devices. However, looking at the logs I think I found at least part of the problem. I noticed my orbi was detecting a lot more DoS attacks and tried to block them. Pretty sure all of them were incorrectly detected because it was a constant stream of DoS attacks, much more than I've ever seen before on previous firmwares, even coming from the orbi IP itself! So I disabled the DoS protection and the wifi now is stable and working as intended. My guess is that there is something very wrong with the DoS protection and/or DMZ, it doesn't seem to work as smoothly as intended. Try this aswell if you notice your wifi becomes unusable.

Message 15 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to let NG support know about your experiences and concerns. 

So far, v16 seems to be the best version of FW for Orbi 50 series. 

Message 16 of 35
thisoldhouse
Aspirant

Where in the menu do find the option to disable DoS? I looked around in Advanced area but didn’t see it.
Message 17 of 35
thisoldhouse
Aspirant

Found it under the logs. Well that worked perfectly!!!! All the issues are now gone and internet is back to normal. Netgear must not have a very good QA dept if they’re releasing firmware like this.
Message 18 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

QoS on Orbi systems is automatic. There is no actual QOS user menu. Whats seen is a speed test app which when ran sets the auto QoS configuration to run with in those speed result parameters. It's all automatic. You can't disable it. 

Message 19 of 35
thisoldhouse
Aspirant

DoS not QoS. You turn it off in the logging and that fixed the issue. I saw the same constant barrage of DoS logs every minute.
Message 20 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Opps sorry that about that. Tired eyes. Glad you found DoS menu item. 

@thisoldhouse wrote:
DoS not QoS. You turn it off in the logging and that fixed the issue. I saw the same constant barrage of DoS logs every minute.

Message 21 of 35
Raekon
Tutor

@thisoldhouse wrote:
Found it under the logs. Well that worked perfectly!!!! All the issues are now gone and internet is back to normal. Netgear must not have a very good QA dept if they’re releasing firmware like this.

The option to disable DoS protection and port scan is under Advanced -> Setup -> WAN setup and tick “Disable Port Scan and DoS protection”. I did this and it fixed most of the problem for me. Sometimes when I’m downloading and saturating my bandwidth my wifi still crashes for a little bit but in a normal scenario it works fine for now. Definitely not ideal but definitely usable. 

If you just unticked “Known DoS attacks and port scans” under the logs page, then I don’t think you disabled the actual protection but just the logging of those attacks. Interesting that it works just as well as what I did though, I will try that aswell since having the protection active is better than nothing. Howerver it was blocking alleged dos attacks from Facebook IPs, basically anything it was blocking it shouldn’t really be blocked when I tried to lookup the IPs. It’s just doing a very poor job. As for Netgear’s QA department, I think the answer to your question is pretty obvious. 

Message 22 of 35
thisoldhouse
Aspirant

Yep, I just unticked it under logging and it solved the issue. Maybe writing to the logs is the issue. Seems pretty odd that it would cause it but it resolved the issue immediately.
Message 23 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is looking to v4 and v70 versions of FW. 

You can keep using v4 or downgrade back to v16. 

Message 24 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7