Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.0.70 Officially Released

tagteam
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Usually errros like that are a browser cache or browser issue. 

I have never seen any FW update errors whatsoever with using manual FW update files.

You would think so except I cleared the cache on my primary browser (Firefox) and also tried updating with 3 other browsers (same resulting internal server error). Fortunately, the update was successful but not without a lot of handwringing. Also, when I updated the router (which gets updated after the SATs obviously), the update indicator stalled halfway through. This all might have just been some sort of web GUI issue but it certainly was unnerving.

Message 51 of 155
lukpac
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ready many user posts and exeperiences. Also information form NG forum modeerators. 

How do "user posts and experiences" indicate that Netgear pushes updates? What information from moderators?

The auto firmware upgrade log clearly shows Orbi polling Netgear's servers. That's a pull, not a push.

Message 52 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I have seen this on both Orbi AC and AX. This browser progress stall. Just leave it alone here and it will continue. Learned to accept this odd issue seen. Odd some of us have not seen this server error. Ever. Smiley Embarassed

@tagteam wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Usually errros like that are a browser cache or browser issue. 

I have never seen any FW update errors whatsoever with using manual FW update files.

You would think so except I cleared the cache on my primary browser (Firefox) and also tried updating with 3 other browsers (same resulting internal server error). Fortunately, the update was successful but not without a lot of handwringing. Also, when I updated the router (which gets updated after the SATs obviously), the update indicator stalled halfway through. This all might have just been some sort of web GUI issue but it certainly was unnerving.

Message 53 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats just checking for updates only. Auto push can and does happen for those who have experienced. There is a long history here in the forums of users positng that there systems didn't work well after auto updates were app. 

@lukpac wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ready many user posts and exeperiences. Also information form NG forum modeerators. 

How do "user posts and experiences" indicate that Netgear pushes updates? What information from moderators?

The auto firmware upgrade log clearly shows Orbi polling Netgear's servers. That's a pull, not a push.

Message 54 of 155
lukpac
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thats just checking for updates only. Auto push can and does happen for those who have experienced. There is a long history here in the forums of users positng that there systems didn't work well after auto updates were app. 

How exactly does "auto push" happen? Netgear has a database of every Orbi router and periodically connects to each one? What are you basing that on?

Message 55 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

We don't have that information. Something NG doesn't give out either. 

You can do a search here in the forums for auto update and posts. I'm sure you find posts regarding this since you seem to be new to Orbi. Long history behind orbi. 

Good Luck. 

Message 56 of 155
lukpac
Apprentice

I’m not new to ORBI, nor am I new to networking, system administration, nor programming. My job is literally software development and system administration.

A push is very different from a pull.
Message 57 of 155
pengwn
Tutor

Did this firmware remove the original Circle parental controls?  I need to be able to limit access to sites per device and it appears that is now only available with a premium subscription.  I used to do it before this upgrade, but I was one of the people experiencing the dreaded Wifi drops when Circle was enabled.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 58 of 155
spewak
Luminary

When trying to update firmware manually, I also get the internal update server error. No joy updating at all, either the Sat.s or the main router.

Message 59 of 155
CrimpOn
Guru

@pengwn wrote:

Did this firmware remove the original Circle parental controls?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Netgear published a link to these new "Smart Parental Controls" so that customers could (for example) (a) see what they are getting into, or (b) compare Netgear's package with Disney's package?

Dream On.  Looks like the only way to get information is to sign up and experience "whatever happens".  Then, post on the community forum for Smart Parental Controls.  Oh wait, there is not a forum for the new product.

Message 60 of 155
tagteam
Virtuoso

@spewak wrote:

When trying to update firmware manually, I also get the internal update server error. No joy updating at all, either the Sat.s or the main router.

I faced the same issue. I got the internal server error when attempting to update the router after I had successfully updated the Sats. Ultimately, I discovered that the router had actually updated so it became a non-issue.

If your Sats are still on the previous firmware and there are no anomalies, I would recommend sticking with that until NG resolves this issue.

Message 61 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Updated my RBK50 system today to this version and running in AP Mode. RBS wirelessly connected. 

So far no issues. RBS appearing in RBRs web page correctly. 

Orbi app speed test is working. 

Message 62 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

What OS Platform and browser are you using? I just updated mine manually using the FW files downloaded from NGs web page. 
Mac OSX and Safari browser used to send FW files to RBS and RBR. I then factory reset and setup from scratch in AP Mode. 

@spewak wrote:

Message 63 of 155
spewak
Luminary

I'm on Windows 10 using latest Firefox version. It has me flummoxed!

Message 64 of 155
spewak
Luminary

Slight ammendation to my previous post:

I finally was able to update both Sat's and main RBR to 2.7.

Relieved to have finally cracked on with it.

Thanks for replying.

Message 65 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Any idea of what the change was? 

Glad you got it installed. Mines working great so far in AP Mode. 

@spewak wrote:

Thanks for replying.

Message 66 of 155
tagteam
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Any idea of what the change was? 

Glad you got it installed. Mines working great so far in AP Mode. 

@spewak wrote:

Thanks for replying.

I obviously have no idea what @spewak's change was, but my experience freaked me out pretty badly; I was almost convinced the update had bricked my Orbi router. Thankfully, it resolved itself without any intervention on my part but I think this will be the last time I download and install new firmware manually. If the new firmware doesn't appear in the firmware update section, I'm probably going to pass.

Message 67 of 155
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I had the same issue where my router would pulse white after attempting a manual update, but would give the internal server error 500 when trying to log in via the web interface. My internet connection continued to work without issue while it was doing this. I was able to login via the Orbi app, and when I updated from within there the update was then applied and the router rebooted itself. I was able to manually update the satellite successfully.

Message 68 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser did you use when you first tried the manual FW update? 

@pdeethardt wrote:

I had the same issue where my router would pulse white after attempting a manual update, but would give the internal server error 500 when trying to log in via the web interface. My internet connection continued to work without issue while it was doing this. I was able to login via the Orbi app, and when I updated from within there the update was then applied and the router rebooted itself. I was able to manually update the satellite successfully.

Message 69 of 155
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I used Safari v14.0.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 70 of 155
tagteam
Virtuoso

@pdeethardt wrote:

I used Safari v14.0.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Interesting that the same thing occurred with Safari because now I can almost guarantee it's not the browser.

I tried virtually all of the others including Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Edge and got the same result with each one.

Message 71 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, was curious, I used Safari and I was in Big Sur OSX 11 beta when I did mine. Was wire connected to the RBR and RBS directly. My RBR was not connected to the ISP modem or a host router though. 

@pdeethardt wrote:

I used Safari v14.0.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 72 of 155
spewak
Luminary

@tagteam 

I had no idea what changes took place either. I have done the Firmware updates both manually and auto for years and this one had me freaked out as well. I am with you though in that I am not going to update manually any longer.

Message 73 of 155
stewlevine
Aspirant

New Orbi owner here... is it normal for Netgear to push out firmware updates this slowly? My setup is sitting on 2.5.1.16 and not seeing any updates. Is consensus to just leave things be until they do? Are there sometimes issues in the checks when setup in AP mode?

Message 74 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. NG doesn't necessarily push out FW updates for everyone at the same time. 

If it works, don't fix it. 

If you want to update, then you can manually upate as well our self. 

When in AP Mode should be any update check issues unless your upstream router is blocking something. 

@stewlevine wrote:

New Orbi owner here... is it normal for Netgear to push out firmware updates this slowly? My setup is sitting on 2.5.1.16 and not seeing any updates. Is consensus to just leave things be until they do? Are there sometimes issues in the checks when setup in AP mode?

Message 75 of 155
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7