Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.0.70 Officially Released

gr8sho
Virtuoso

@vajim wrote:

2.5.something.    As I don't care.   And as for waiting I guess I'm not spending my day reloading a webpage or Orbi app for the next update .   I'm just not anxious. The real question may be why crucify me when all I ready did was state a position. If you don't subscribe to the same scroll on.  

I'm merely curious.  2.7 has been out for a long time.  Were I bleeding edge, I'd grab the newer version.  In my mind I'm being conservative.  And were I to get into a discussion with NG support, I'd want to avoid the up front round of questions about being on the latest recommended version of firmware.  

And having  read through all the posts, I still don't have a sense of what would drive you to update, or if you'll leave the router on 2.5 in perpetuity.  

Message 151 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

I thought last time he mentioned something was that he was a proponent of v32 from 2019...

I've tried v2.6 and 2.7 versions, they seem ok, but don't work if your RBS is ethernet connected. 

@gr8sho wrote:

I'm merely curious.  2.7 has been out for a long time.  Were I bleeding edge, I'd grab the newer version.  In my mind I'm being conservative.  And were I to get into a discussion with NG support, I'd want to avoid the up front round of questions about being on the latest recommended version of firmware.  

And having  read through all the posts, I still don't have a sense of what would drive you to update, or if you'll leave the router on 2.5 in perpetuity.  

Message 152 of 155
vajim
Master

@gr8sho wrote:

@vajim wrote:

2.5.something.    As I don't care.   And as for waiting I guess I'm not spending my day reloading a webpage or Orbi app for the next update .   I'm just not anxious. The real question may be why crucify me when all I ready did was state a position. If you don't subscribe to the same scroll on.  

I don’t live for FW updates which I’ve stated in here many times. I was on V2.3.5.30 since 08Oct19 and then updated to V2.5.2 on 03Nov20.  This was only because my network became unstable, lost connects, etc.  At the same time, I had a rep from my ISP come out and he replaced a connection in our front yard.  Then (it gets better) I upgraded my 5 year old modem.  So how do we know that the FW update is what fixed my problems.  We don’t.  At lease it didn’t make it any worse.  When will I update my FW again?  I don't know and don't stay awake at night worrying about it.

What gets me is the number of people that jump on the FW update as soon as it hits the street only to be back in here asking for help.  Most of the responses suggest everything BUT the firmware.  Like they’re dancing around the fire. House size and neighbors is my favorites.

FYI…NG support will always drive you through a host of questions and insist you stay ‘current’ with the latest and greatest FW.  The reality is they can NOT guarantee the latest FW will not cause you problems.

Again…the choice is yours.  Do what sets you free and not worry about what I do since it perhaps makes no sense to you.

Message 153 of 155
Just_Lurking
Guide

@vajim wrote:

At the end of the day one has to ask why upgrade the FW?

There are usually security fixes in firmware updates, some documented, and some not, so it's a good idea to always stay up-to-date on firmware updates. 

Message 154 of 155
vajim
Master

@Just_Lurking wrote:

@vajim wrote:

At the end of the day one has to ask why upgrade the FW?

There are usually security fixes in firmware updates, some documented, and some not, so it's a good idea to always stay up-to-date on firmware updates. 

Ok 

I have a bad idea 

Message 155 of 155
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7