Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.0.70 Officially Released

COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.0.70 Officially Released

Hardly checking the GUI every few minutes, but I do every time I reboot the router to make sure that all my devices a) reconnect, and b) reconnect to the right place (which many times they don't because of the long boot cycle - they'll all end up on the router).   So doing the firmware update required me to immediately use the broken feature, which was a non-starter.  More commonly, I have to reboot the network every couple of months when I have devices refuse to see each other.  Apple gear uses bonjour which doesn't work properly with orbi - not sure who's side the issue is on, and unfortunately there's no real logging capability on either side, so troubleshooting is impossible.   While most often rebooting an AppleTV and the itunes/music/tv library machine works, sometimes I'm relegated to rebooting everything to fix it.

I've had the units automatically update a number of times in the past, but not recently, so maybe there's something different going on.  I've seen comments that they only push some of the updates, but not others.  In any case, I haven't been able to find anything official about the policy or procedures.

A factory reset is hardly 30 minutes, unless you're restoring the config from backup (which kinda defeats the whole purpose of a factor reset). Just getting the satellites resynced takes that long, and that's not even counting the multiple reboots to get all the settings changed because you have to apply changes on each page, and manually re-entering all the static DHCP bindings is a major PITA.  

I am thankful they have a real interface to configure the system (versus a brain-dead app like Velop), but they really need to step up their QA.

But we agree on one thing - if it's stable, don't poke it. 🙂

Message 101 of 155
BrianRL
Tutor

Another update...

Against my better judgement (and following the advice of some of the more forceful voices here) I attempted the 2.7.0.70 again.

This time I did it as recommended: Update the satellites first using RBS50-V2.7.0.70, then the router with RBR50-V2.7.0.70, triple-checking along the way.

Both satellites updated, and were reporting back into the base without issue. Seemingly. I let them rest a bit and when I came back I noticed that no devices had connected to the satellites.

Figuring this to be due to the firmware mismatch I went ahead and upgraded the base to 2.7. Upon finishing devices immediately began to reconnect to it, but the satellites were now showing "disconnected". Rebooted the router and satellites and then waited. Devices connected to the router once again, but both satellites continuously reported "disconnected". Re-flashed 2.7 on to the router, waited. Rebooted, waited. "Disconnected."

As aside, the Android Orbi app also refused to detect the network, despite being connected to the router.

Reverted router back to 2.5, out of order I know but it's what I could access. It forced me to walk through setup again, so I entered all previously configured data (it remembered all advanced settings), but afterwards devices began to immediately connect again. So did my Android app. So did the satellites. However, the satellites would not accept any devices. Reverted them back to 2.5, and voila, everything's working again.

Sorry, everyone. 2.7.0.70 is not baked enough for full release. And before anyone starts suggesting that something else is wrong, I'll point out that after the revert both times things are fine, meaning the hardware is capable of working correctly. If a firmware is not working for a selection of the population, then that firmware is not ready for an engineering reason. Some variable isn't being accounted for. And for the RBR/RBS series you cannot expect active technical support, either. Let's just be grateful that we can downgrade firmware on these so our multi-hundred dollar investments don't rot in a box.

Message 102 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time, try a full power OFF of the RBS and RBR after FW is loaded. A reboot may not be enough. Last resort would be a factory reset after applying the FW files and setup from scratch...

v16 seems to be the most stable though. 

Message 103 of 155
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@stewlevine wrote:

Does this seem normal?

Based on what I'm seeing, yes.  I've been at this with many users in this thread a long time.  My RBK50 is seeing the same exact information as yours, and frankly I'm not going to bother with the latest 2.5 update.  Eventually, NG will get around to offering 2.7.   At that time, I'll apply the update in the prescribed order, and will do a factory reset. Fortunately my setup is rather simple so it won't be too difficult to get things back to normal .  

Message 104 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, I got word that NG is reviewing the problems found in both v4 and v70 versions of FW. 

Message 105 of 155
GMoGoody8
Luminary

Users on this firmware and utilizing ethernet backhaul. Anyone try adding back in an ethernet switch that supports green standards(802.3az)? I'm curious if Netgear got their act together and fixed this.

Message 106 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

I've tested D-Link DGS-105/108 series, HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series and NGs GS-105/108v4 series with v16. The NGs have IEEE 802.3az (Energy Effi cient Ethernet) support. Though I didn't test v70 with the NG switches, I found that ethernet back haul fails on v4 and v70 if the switches are daisy chained. Something doesn't happen with v16 and I have configured in my home. 

Message 107 of 155
Mstrbig
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I've tested D-Link DGS-105/108 series, HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series and NGs GS-105/108v4 series with v16. The NGs have IEEE 802.3az (Energy Effi cient Ethernet) support. Though I didn't test v70 with the NG switches, I found that ethernet back haul fails on v4 and v70 if the switches are daisy chained. Something doesn't happen with v16 and I have configured in my home. 

It is known that certain smart and green switches, from different manufacturers cause problems with wired backhaul systems. I've never run into any as we always use the same switches when installing mesh systems. 

I can confirm with over a dozen RBK53 systems, (some with more satellites), that 2.7.0.70 has NO ISSUE with ethernet backhaul with stacked  switches. As an example last week we installed a system that was configured Router to switch to switch to satellite to switch to switch to switch to satellite to switch to switch. All wired and wireless devices performed as they should and had internet access with no loss of speed. All switches used were Netgear ProSAFE GS116 GB switches. Unless specified we always use Netgear ProSafe unmanaged switches from 5 port up, depending on the need.

Message 108 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I haven't tried the NG 1 series I got in about two weeks ago. There online now with my Orbi AX system and daisy chained NG switches. However when I had Orbi AC online and v4 or v70, a system that was configured Router to switch to switch to 3rd switch to satellite caused an ARP storm on the entired network and would not stop until I disconnected the RBS. I Think this 3rd daisy chain switch and recent FW has an issue as it doesn't reproduce with v16 FW. 

Message 109 of 155
mthome
Aspirant

RBR50-DGS1100-DGS1100-RBS50

Confirm ARP storm after 2.7.0.70 update as above.  Again, on connection of RBS50 backhaul to the end of daisychained switches.  Following to watch for updates.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 110 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have IGMP protocols disabled on the DGS switches? 

Can you try these newer versions of FW by chance to see if the ARP storm still remains?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-v2-7-1-60-Officially-Released...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

@mthome wrote:

Confirm ARP storm after 2.7.0.70 update as above.  Again, on connection of RBS50 backhaul to the end of daisychained switches.  Following to watch for updates.

Message 111 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Still seeing the RBR50 in AP mode and RBS50 with v2.7.1.60 directly connected via ethernet to the RBR50, with out a LAN switch, causing an ARP storm and causing the CAX80s web page to become non accessible after this ARP storm happens. Since I saw the ARP storm happen with the RBS directly connected to the RBR, I didn't test with the RBS behind daisy chained switches. I believe this is a Orbi FW issue.

RBK50 in AP mode and connected to a CAX80 in router mode. 

What Mfr and model modem do you have? 

Is your system in router or AP mode? 

@mthome wrote:

Message 112 of 155
mthome
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do you have IGMP protocols disabled on the DGS switches? 

No - never have, anyway. They have "storm control" settings, but I have them turned off as well.

Can you try these newer versions of FW by chance to see if the ARP storm still remains?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-v2-7-1-60-Officially-Released...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Any ideas which? I'd rather not just thrash around - too many people in the household need dependable network, and just unplugging the backhaul on the second RBS lets the system work fine.

@mthome wrote:

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 113 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem you have?

Well, I tired v2.7.1.60 today and found that with just the RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR while in AP Mode with no switches in the mix, an ARP storm was seen. I thought once that it wasn't happening after I connected the RBS via ethernet, however I rebooted the RBR with the RBS ethernet connected and once the RBR was back to ready, the ARP storm started until I disconnected the ethernet cable from the RBR. I didn't have time to test v2.6.1.40 today. I might try loading up v40 tomorrow and test again if I get time.

Last good working version of FW is v16 which works well with RBS ethernet connected with switches in the mix. 

@Blanca_O  

Message 114 of 155
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38
Glad you took the time to perform testing. For some reason I've not moved to any of the newer releases. Not sure what's going on with support for the product, but a bit disconcerting.
Message 115 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, not fully comfortable with these v2.7 versions. Especially for RBS ethernet connected. Should not be causing ARM storms...Smiley Frustrated

Message 116 of 155
gr8sho
Virtuoso

One additional point is the hardware is offering me v 2.5.2 to fix a Nintendo Switch problem, which is don't care to me. So even NG isn't trying to give 2.7
Message 117 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

v2.7 isn't being offered up on Autoupdates yet. 

Message 118 of 155
Dalvador50
Tutor

If Firmware 2.7 is officially released why does it not show when I ask the app to check for updates? Should I update? I have the “missing device” problem under 2.5, but it is otherwise functional.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 119 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

v2.7 isn't being offered up on Autoupdates yet. Or NG doesn't want users outside of the USA to use thise version of FW. 

@Dalvador50 wrote:
If Firmware 2.7 is officially released why does it not show when I ask the app to check for updates? Should I update? I have the “missing device” problem under 2.5, but it is otherwise functional.

Message 120 of 155
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Well, my Orbi is asking to update to 2.7.0.70 now...
Message 121 of 155
Dalvador50
Tutor

Went through 2.7 firmware upgrade step by step satellites first then router. All went fine and now no problems. Just took a while for all the devices to reconnect. Do it again step by step and just wait a while say 30 min and devices will connect.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 122 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

What Fw version do you have currently loaded? 

@gr8sho wrote:
Well, my Orbi is asking to update to 2.7.0.70 now...

Message 123 of 155
FURRYe38
Guru

IT's recommended that after you do the FW update, Power OFF the RBS and RBR for 30 seconds then back on with the RBR first then RBS. 

Also v70 has been superseded by:

for those interested. 

@Dalvador50 wrote:
Went through 2.7 firmware upgrade step by step satellites first then router. All went fine and now no problems. Just took a while for all the devices to reconnect. Do it again step by step and just wait a while say 30 min and devices will connect.

Message 124 of 155
vajim
Master

IT's recommended NOT to do the FW update at all.

Message 125 of 155
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7