Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

New Features and Enhancements:

• Admin password brute force attack prevention
  • Admin password strength enforcement
  • EU data analytics opt-out

Bug Fixes:

•  The backup config file is an incorrect file after some configuration changes

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual.

To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/

Then enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. After the FW files are loaded and the RBS and RBR are ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON.

Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet. 

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you in this thread please.

Message 1 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

So loaded my RBK50 series up today with v.24. 
Loaded the RBS FW on the RBS web page first, then sent file using RBRs web page using a wired PC and MS Edge. 

Powered OFF for 1 minute then back ON with both RBR and RBS after the FW loaded. 

Speeds with a wired PC are good:

image_2022-04-11_165459977.png

Will try and post other testing results when I get time. 

Message 2 of 66
pdeethardt
Apprentice

Did this update resolve the issue with the device list in the app and web interface not accurately showing all of the active devices?

Message 3 of 66
pablohoney
Luminary

It seems to. Although, I was on a custom firmware update provided by Netgear for me. However, I’ve updated to this firmware and all is good so far.
Message 4 of 66
Jeffgear
Luminary

Updated my RBR50v2 and RBS50v2 but no v2.7.4.24 is available yet for my RBS50Yv2 outdoor satellite.

Performance seems fine. No quirks noticed so far with any features.

Message 5 of 66
tagteam
Virtuoso

Good here, pretty much as per usual.

Message 6 of 66
richromerman
Guide

I would also like to know if this new version fixes the missing devices issue in the 'Attached Devices' list. Anyone notice yet? Thanks. 

Message 7 of 66
Jeffgear
Luminary

Hi richromeran 

I am seeing all my 27 devices listed and correctly identified in both the Orbi app and router admin browser session. It's also showing a new authorised device (a visitor's phone) on my guest network, twice as it's associated on both 2.4 and 5G bands. Apparently that's normal for that model of Android. It's also showing devices associated with my outdoor satellite and this is still on the v2.7.3.22 version of firmware

Jeff

Message 8 of 66
richromerman
Guide

@Jeffgear
Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.
Message 9 of 66
lvangent
Guide

Updated my RBR50 yesterday to V2.7.4.24 and ran into major issues.

PPPoE no longer working

Could not make any changes to PPPoE settings.

Ended up erasing RBR50 both through web interface (did not work), hard reset button.

Managed to get PPPoE back running but there is still on issue.

The moment I turn on traffic meter I loose PPPoE.

Disable traffic meter, PPPoE comes back after a few minutes.

previous version V2.7.3.22 did not have this problem, downgrading to V2.7.3.22.

Message 10 of 66
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Ivangent,

Thank you for posting a detailed response to the issue that you are having with the firmware version 2.7.4.24. I will share this information with my team for further consideration. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 11 of 66
sjbayarea
Aspirant

I haven't done a thing with the firmware for a while, thinking things would just update on its own.

My RBR50 is at v2.7.3.22, showing 'no new firmware version available'
RBS50 is at v2.1.1.16, showing 'update failed'

Naturally I went into the Manual Update mode to update RBS50. Once I checked the box under RBS50, it prompted me to log in to my satellite. I didn't even realize there was a username/password combo for this. I tried the same combination as the router but it didn't take it... then other possible 'default' combinations such as 'password' and such... to no avail.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this? Thank you in advance for your help.

Message 12 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Eeeks, ya the RBS needs to be updated first.

Try this, Factory reset the RBS and don't sync it to the RBR. Have the FW 2.2.1.210 and v.24 downloaded on a wired PC. I think you may need to apply v210 first before v24. 

Press the reset button on the back of the RBS for 15 seconds then release. Wait 5 minutes with the wired PC connected to the back. You should be able to use a web browser and navigate to 192.168.1.250 and use admin and PW. Should get you in to the RBS web page and update with the unpacked .zip file. I would use MS Edge or Firefox for this. 

Message 13 of 66
sjbayarea
Aspirant

Thank you - I will give that a try.

I am almost at a loss as to how I even got here, as firmware (so I thought) gets automatically updated and therefore I am where I am. Devices that are closer to the satellite are not connected to it, rather to the router that is further away. 

I appreciate the advice.

Message 14 of 66

Hi @lvangent ,

Did you enable this function ' Disconnect and disable the internet connection ' in traffic meter ?

image_2022_05_04T04_41_58_258Z.png

Message 15 of 66
lvangent
Guide

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion but

No I did not select this as I have unlimited internet quota. I just want to keep track of how much data is download/upload as we have a lot of streaming happening, remote school and working from home. 

cheers

Message 16 of 66
1-prop-head
Aspirant

RBR50 + 2 RBS50 sats FW V2.7.3.22 

Issuse is that my WIFI network device list contains improper IP address when viewed from the Attached Devices page on the RBR50 web interface.

Network is 10.0.0.x but find duplicate provisioned addresses: ex 192.168.168.100 is there 7 times indicated that is was provided by the RBR50 mostly but also from either of the RBS50's

This condition results in the WIFI network not working at all.  

I spent several hours resetting the RBR50 and two RBS50's  to factory defaults and then doing a total reinstall and now after less than a day the system has the same duplicate IPs  just like it was prior to the reinstall with the above duplicate IPs and non functioning wireless internet.

I will try the new firmware V2.7.3.24 but after looking at the update description feel that this will just be another 5 hours of waisted time.

Message 17 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Please post a screen shot of what your seeing.

What devices do you have connected? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

@1-prop-head wrote:

RBR50 + 2 RBS50 sats FW V2.7.3.22 

Issuse is that my WIFI network device list contains improper IP address when viewed from the Attached Devices page on the RBR50 web interface.

Network is 10.0.0.x but find duplicate provisioned addresses: ex 192.168.168.100 is there 7 times indicated that is was provided by the RBR50 mostly but also from either of the RBS50's

This condition results in the WIFI network not working at all.  

I spent several hours resetting the RBR50 and two RBS50's  to factory defaults and then doing a total reinstall and now after less than a day the system has the same duplicate IPs  just like it was prior to the reinstall with the above duplicate IPs and non functioning wireless internet.

I will try the new firmware V2.7.3.24 but after looking at the update description feel that this will just be another 5 hours of waisted time.

Message 18 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

@1-prop-head wrote:

Can you please expand on this:

• That's a typo, correct.  It should read 192.168.1.100?
  • Seven different MAC addresses appear in the Attached Devices list with the same IP of 192.168.1.100?
  • What sort of devices have this incorrect IP address?
  • Is it possible to look at the network setup of any of these devices to see their gateway address?

There is a very good chance that there is another DHCP server on the network somewhere, buried in some product.

Message 19 of 66
pgrunwald
Star

My RBS50 is at v2.7.3.22, showing 'no new firmware version available'

This is from both the web interface and the Orbi IoS app.

Message 20 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

@pgrunwald wrote:

My RBS50 is at v2.7.3.22, showing 'no new firmware version available'

Netgear's firmware update process remains confusing.  There seem to be three independent processes going on:

• Netgear publishes new firmware on the support web site.  For the RBR50 product, this is at:
    https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download 
    This web page shows that V2.7.4.24 is now available.  If customers discover this new version, read the release notes,
    and decide to install it on their system, then can download the *.zip files, extract the firmware images, and use the
    Manual Update feature to load it on their router and satellites.
  • At some point, Netgear activates the Automatic Update feature which allows the router to "find" this new firmware and offer to load it.  Customers who never look at the firmware update feature will be blissfully unaware of it.  This process appears to be "rolled out".  My RBR50, for example, continues to report "No new firmware available."
    For those who do discover the new firmware, installing it remains optional.
  • At some point, Netgear has the option to install the new firmware automatically, usually in the middle of the night.  Customers who look at the management interface (or the app) may realize, "hey. the firmware updated by itself."  Customers who never look at the management interface will remain blissfully unaware that this has happened.  This process appears to be "rolled out" over a period of time.

When the Orbi system is behaving strangely, one step that is often recommended is to update the firmware to the latest release.  This may be not so much in hopes that it will fix the problem as in the realization that the first thing others will recommend is to update the firmware. Might as well get that out of the way.

In the case of these incorrect IP addresses, I have low expectations that newer firmware will remedy the problem.

Diagnosing this sort of thing is rather technical.  My tactic would be to activate the debug option to "Capture LAN\WAN traffic", restart the problem device, save the debug zip file, and then open the file lan.pcap with Wireshark and look for the DHCP assignment to see where it came from.

Message 21 of 66
lvangent
Guide

Hi,

Apple products have the feature of "Private Wi-Fi Address (MAC)".

This means that every time an iPhone, MacBook, iPad connects to the Wi-Fi it will have a different MAC address.

Could this be the case?

Just a thought.

Message 22 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you having problems using the Orbi app? 

@lvangent wrote:

Hi,

This means that every time an iPhone, MacBook, iPad connects to the Wi-Fi it will have a different MAC address.

Could this be the case?

Just a thought.

Message 23 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

@lvangent wrote:

Could this be the case?

This is almost correct.  According to this explanation from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227#:~:text=Open%20the%20Settings%20app%2C%20then,Private%20Add... 

CrimpOn_0-1651709536798.png

In other words, the Apple device will use the same MAC address every time it connects to the same WiFi network.... until it doesn't.

Message 24 of 66
lvangent
Guide

hi,

No problems with Orbi App, I was replying to multiple mac addresses article and somewhere the reference got lost

Message 25 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7