Reply

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

lvangent
Guide

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Hi CrimpOn,

Thank you for the update.

I know what apple states in the article you listed and I totally concur but on my Orbi RBR50 I have many "Unknown MAC addresses" in the 

Access Control section under "View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network" in a household with 95% only Apple devices.

I did check these MAC addresses out (wireshark) and found these were random MAC addresses generated by these Apple devices (iPhones, iPads, Macs). 

It does make sense that Apple changes MAC address every time it connects to a Wi-Fi. It would not be a good private solution if the coffee shop with free internet knows your device comes back every time with the same MAC address.

 

  

 

Message 26 of 51
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released


@lvangent wrote:

It does make sense that Apple changes MAC address every time it connects to a Wi-Fi. It would not be a good private solution if the coffee shop with free internet knows your device comes back every time with the same MAC address.


In networking what "makes sense" is open to interpretation.  It would be relatively simple to verify that article in terms of one's own WiFi system.  i.e. "Does the iPhone have the same MAC address for many days in a row, until one day it changes?"  I am certain that some activities, such as doing a software update, cause a MAC change. (She Who Must Be Obeyed uses an iPhone and iPad and I see them with new MAC addresses occasionally.)  I also think that doing a software update resets the network setting back to "Private Networking" even when the user had set it not to.

 

Being a Diet Coke addict (and having an Android phone), I am not likely to wander into Starbucks, but someone who does could do the same experiment. Go into Starbucks. Write down WiFi MAC address.  Go back the next day. Repeat until over caffeinated. Does the MAC change every trip? Every so many trips?

 

 

I love my Orbi.
Message 27 of 51
Jeffgear
Luminary

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

I've made some relative progress. The iOS devices do change MAC due to the private WiFi address feature now built into iOS. This change seems to occur after certain major state changes, if you reset network settings, forget an access point and re-associate, but never reboots or airplane mode. This seems to result in Armor seeing the iOS device as new, and unprotected in the Orbi app despite having Armor app running and signed in on the iOS device. The Armor portal then shows multiple devices with different MACs and/or IPA. Orbi shows them and needing Armor when clearly it's already running on them. 

I semi resolved this by deleting all my iPhone and iPad entries in the web portal for Armor and then reinstalling the app on them and activating Armor. The Orbi app no longer reports these iOS devices as eligible for Armor even though it was running on them before anyway. The security score goes back up as there are no longer unprotected devices. However these iOS devices still report as not having Armor/Bitdefender in Orbi but do report as having it in web portal with a red "B" badge on them but "not scanned yet" but "no threats detected" in green. The security option under the iOS device entry in Orbi says no details available. So it's almost reconciled itself. Maybe it takes a few days of automated checks to fully clear up. 

What is bemusing is a web cam I have was constantly reporting as eligible for Bitdefender as it thought it was a "computer" but I could never install the client on it as is it has no user accessible interfaces. However it's suddenly after months no longer showing in the eligible devices list. Maybe they do monthly or so checks and add frequently occurring MACs to their exemptions list. It would be good if the end user could manually exempt an IoT or Android like device it mis recognises as an eligible computer.

 

Clearly Armor/Bitdefender and Orbi app are a bit fickle with reconciling devices with private or dynamic MAC addresses, or IoT it mis interprets as an end user device it thinks you can instal the Armor/Bitdefender client on. 

Clearing out all duplicates in the portal and reinstalling on the iOS devices seems to kick off reconciliation but it appears some back end tidying up occurs over days not hours. 

 

My setup: ISP - NOW NZ 900/400mbps plan with Chorus fibre ONT. Orbi Mesh - RBR50v2, RBS50v2 indoor satellite, RBS50Yv2 outdoor satellite. Meural Canvas II 27".
Message 28 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Glad you got it working better.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

 

Any Armor or Bit Defender questions or need help, please review and post over in the Armor forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡


@Jeffgear wrote:

I've made some relative progress. The iOS devices do change MAC due to the private WiFi address feature now built into iOS. This change seems to occur after certain major state changes, if you reset network settings, forget an access point and re-associate, but never reboots or airplane mode. This seems to result in Armor seeing the iOS device as new, and unprotected in the Orbi app despite having Armor app running and signed in on the iOS device. The Armor portal then shows multiple devices with different MACs and/or IPA. Orbi shows them and needing Armor when clearly it's already running on them. 

I semi resolved this by deleting all my iPhone and iPad entries in the web portal for Armor and then reinstalling the app on them and activating Armor. The Orbi app no longer reports these iOS devices as eligible for Armor even though it was running on them before anyway. The security score goes back up as there are no longer unprotected devices. However these iOS devices still report as not having Armor/Bitdefender in Orbi but do report as having it in web portal with a red "B" badge on them but "not scanned yet" but "no threats detected" in green. The security option under the iOS device entry in Orbi says no details available. So it's almost reconciled itself. Maybe it takes a few days of automated checks to fully clear up. 

What is bemusing is a web cam I have was constantly reporting as eligible for Bitdefender as it thought it was a "computer" but I could never install the client on it as is it has no user accessible interfaces. However it's suddenly after months no longer showing in the eligible devices list. Maybe they do monthly or so checks and add frequently occurring MACs to their exemptions list. It would be good if the end user could manually exempt an IoT or Android like device it mis recognises as an eligible computer.

 

Clearly Armor/Bitdefender and Orbi app are a bit fickle with reconciling devices with private or dynamic MAC addresses, or IoT it mis interprets as an end user device it thinks you can instal the Armor/Bitdefender client on. 

Clearing out all duplicates in the portal and reinstalling on the iOS devices seems to kick off reconciliation but it appears some back end tidying up occurs over days not hours. 

 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router R7960P (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | XR1000 (Router Mode) and RBK853 AP Mode  | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700

Message 29 of 51
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

@lvangent 

I tell my Apple devices to not use private addresses while on my home network.  

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 30 of 51
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Just a quick note to mention both the management console and the app can see the new firmware.  So far the system hasn’t auto installed it… yet.  

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 31 of 51
pdeethardt
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

I started seeing the update show up in the app and web interface about 3-4 days ago I think. Neither my RBR50 or RBS50 have auto-updated, but my RBS50Y did auto-update. 

Message 32 of 51
Jeffgear
Luminary

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Still no 2.7.4.24 available for my RBS50Yv2 after checking on the support page here:

 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50Yv2#download

 

or manually checking for updates in the web admin page, or if left to check automatically. 

 

The outdoor satellite still shows the latest version as being 2.7.3.22.

 

My RBR50v2 and RBS50v2 both updated manually to 2.7.4.24 a couple of weeks ago. 

I tried a full reboot of all mesh units to see if this helped but no change other than the other potential benefits a reboot brings. 

Must be delays rolling out updates to the v2 variant of hardware (AU/NZ) given other users in different regions with the outdoor satellite have now got 2.7.4.24.

 

 

My setup: ISP - NOW NZ 900/400mbps plan with Chorus fibre ONT. Orbi Mesh - RBR50v2, RBS50v2 indoor satellite, RBS50Yv2 outdoor satellite. Meural Canvas II 27".
Message 33 of 51
normsbigwindow
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Is the "EU data analytics opt-out" a feature you can toggle off/on or is it automatically set to opt-out?

 

I couldn't find anything stepping through the post-update settings.

 

3 calls to support didn't get me anywhere, although I was cut-off just as the first person was directing me through the settings (I assume to show me where to toggle). The second person I spoke to said it's an automatic feature with no check-box option. I have nagging doubts.

Message 34 of 51
KevinLiT
Community Manager

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Hello normsbigwindow,

 

I understand that you would like to opt-out of NETGEAR data analytics. You can manually opt-out of data analytics by contacting analyticspolicy@netgear.com

 

For more information about NETGEAR Analytic Data Policy please navigate to the link below:

https://www.netgear.com/about/analyticsdatapolicy/

 

If you still have questions please about data analytics please contact analyticspolicy@netgear.com.

 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 35 of 51
normsbigwindow
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Hi Kevin,

 

Thank you for your helpful reply.

 

Unfortunately it doesn't answer my key questions. I still seek

 

  1. An explanation of "EU data analytics opt-out" feature in v2.7.4.24 firmware given it is the 3rd bullet on the release notes
  2. Whether I can toggle this feature on/off under admin or or not in v2.7.4.24?

Many thanks

 

 

 

 

Message 36 of 51
AwesomeQA
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Video buffering, and slow load for images.

 

I reverted back to 2.7.3.x and this fixed it.

RBR 50 Firmware Version V2.7.3.22
Message 37 of 51
lvangent
Guide

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Hi AwesomeQA 

Thank you but as previous already mentioned that is not a solution. Netgear forces at one stage automatic update of their orbi systems.

the firmware is already published to the orbi systems and not long netgear will trigger an automatic update. nothing you can do to stop this.

 

Cheers

Message 38 of 51
KevinLiT
Community Manager

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Hi AwesomeQA,

 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your RBR50 firmware version 2.7.4.24 pertaining to video buffering and loading images. I will inform my team about the slow video buffering and loading images.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

 

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

 

 

Message 39 of 51
St_breuer
Initiate

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

After updating the RBR50 and RBS50 to the new firmware I got the issue that VOIP calls were not possible any more. The phone dialed successfully, but no voice has been transmitted, nor in the one nor the other direction.

 

Tried to hard reset the router - no success. Reverted back to 2.7.3.22 - it works as usuall.

 

BR

Steffen

Message 40 of 51
KevinLiT
Community Manager

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Hi St_breuer,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!!

 

Thank you for letting us know that the  2.7.4.24 update has compatibility issues with your VOIP configuration. 

 

I will inform my team about this issue!

 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 41 of 51
Emrek
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

I think this update broke my RBK50 and now i cant reset.
Message 42 of 51
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

"At some point, Netgear has the option to install the new firmware automatically, usually in the middle of the night. Customers who look at the management interface (or the app) may realize, "hey. the firmware updated by itself." Customers who never look at the management interface will remain blissfully unaware that this has happened. This process appears to be "rolled out" over a period of time."

 

I'm one of those.  I was all set to update manually, devoting my Saturday afternoon to it...
I find out that this has happened transparently, I have no idea when.

 

Took all the fun out of working with 'puters..😁

Orbi RBK50v2 ver 2.7.4.24
Love my Orbi (with this firmware version).
Message 43 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Do you know what FW version that was on the system before it auto updated? 

@KevinLiT 


@alokeprasad wrote:

"At some point, Netgear has the option to install the new firmware automatically, usually in the middle of the night. Customers who look at the management interface (or the app) may realize, "hey. the firmware updated by itself." Customers who never look at the management interface will remain blissfully unaware that this has happened. This process appears to be "rolled out" over a period of time."

 

I'm one of those.  I was all set to update manually, devoting my Saturday afternoon to it...
I find out that this has happened transparently, I have no idea when.

 

Took all the fun out of working with 'puters..😁


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router R7960P (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | XR1000 (Router Mode) and RBK853 AP Mode  | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700

Message 44 of 51
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

The one previous to this: 2.7.3.22

Orbi RBK50v2 ver 2.7.4.24
Love my Orbi (with this firmware version).
Message 45 of 51
ahughf1
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Thanks for this explanation.  My issue is that the manual update said it worked for the first of my RBS50-v2, but when everything eventually came back on line both RBs50-v2's and the RBR50-v2 all said firmware version was v2.7.3.22 (I expected one of the RBS's to say 2.7.4.24)

 

 

Message 46 of 51
jahlewis
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

After upgrading to V2.7.4.24 on my RBR50 and RBRS50, we've had issues crop up 1-2 times a week where wifi stops working (from no internet while wifi is handshaking/advertising ssid), or where all internet traffic stops (with no issues at the cable router level).  I've been rebooting the router and satellite to resolve.  I see nothing in the logs indicating an issue.  Prior to upgrading to this version, I had no issues.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Very frustrating given I work from home and have to deal with these interruptions.  This happens to all devices on network (MacOS, Win10, iOS and Roku).  How can I troubleshoot?  How can I schedule the devices to reboot nightly?

 

Hardware Version   RBR50
 
Firmware Version   V2.7.4.24
 
GUI Language Version   V1.0.0.423
 
Operation Mode   Router
Message 47 of 51
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released


@jahlewis wrote:

How can I schedule the devices to reboot nightly?

 

This is not a feature of Netgear Orbi systems.  The only known methods are:

  • To use the web administration menu to instruct the router to reboot.
    This is on the Advanced Tab home page in a blue box.  or,
  • Cut power to the router and then restore power.
  • Many brands of WiFi smart plug store their schedule information on the plug itself after the smartphone app has accessed the plug through the manufacturer "cloud".  TP-Link KASA plugs definitely have this feature (I have done it.)
    Set a schedule to turn off the power at a certain time seven days a week and another schedule to turn the power on a minute later seven days a week.

I feel compelled to mention that this does not actually address the underlying problem and would wreak havoc in my house as the alarm system notifies me "Power Lost".... "Power Restored" in the middle of the night.  My RBR50 on firmware 2.7.4.24 has been active for 36 days since SoCal Edison did a "maintenance outage" and we had no electricity for several hours.

 

There is a downside to adding a post to a discussion that basically wrapped up last July.  A lot of people may see the Title and ignore the new message, "Oh, year. That was a discussion in the summer."  It might worth creating a new post with a different subject line so people will notice it.

I love my Orbi.
Message 48 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?


@jahlewis wrote:

After upgrading to V2.7.4.24 on my RBR50 and RBRS50, we've had issues crop up 1-2 times a week where wifi stops working (from no internet while wifi is handshaking/advertising ssid), or where all internet traffic stops (with no issues at the cable router level).  I've been rebooting the router and satellite to resolve.  I see nothing in the logs indicating an issue.  Prior to upgrading to this version, I had no issues.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Very frustrating given I work from home and have to deal with these interruptions.  This happens to all devices on network (MacOS, Win10, iOS and Roku).  How can I troubleshoot?  How can I schedule the devices to reboot nightly?

 

Hardware Version    RBR50
 
Firmware Version    V2.7.4.24
 
GUI Language Version    V1.0.0.423
 
Operation Mode    Router

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router R7960P (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | XR1000 (Router Mode) and RBK853 AP Mode  | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700

Message 49 of 51
jahlewis
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR50 / RBS50 Firmware Version 2.7.4.24 Released

Thanks for responding, answers in bold below:

 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected to? Motorola MB8600Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.  Recently replaced with new CAT6

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1800
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 40 Feet.  Connected via CAT6 (with one Gig switch in between)
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

 

What channels are you using? Auto and 48 on 5Ghz
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Multiple, but all weak signal (1 bar or less)

 

This issue doesn't impact Orbi Wired connections, just WiFi, and seems to mostly impact Apple devices.  Both with Private WiFi Address enabled and disabled.  Sometimes wifi disconnects, other times it connects, but no-internet connection.  It's difficult to test on iOS devices if it is a DNS issue or not.  Any suggestion on iOS app's that can ping via IP vs. DNS to determine where the issue is?  TraceRoute, Ping, NSLookup etc?  Sometimes full reboot's work, other times they only last for 10-15 minutes.

 

Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E