Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR50 + Satellite setup - some thoughts and questions

New RBR50 + Satellite setup - some thoughts and questions

Hey there everyone, this looks like a great community. Looking forward to being part of it.

I will start by saying I picked up a Used - Like New RBK50 from Amazon Warehouse for $281 the other day. First issue - serial # was already used. Second issue - satellite never connected. I returned it to Amazon, and after they gifted me $15, I bought a new RBK50 for $305 ($319-$15).

I have Gig speed by xfinity. Hooked up to the xfinity Technicolor (little black tower looking thing), I am able to get about 940 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up.

Setting up the Orbi router and satellite, it took multiple reboots of my modem to finally get the Orbi router to get an internet connection. Adding the satellite to the system was painless.

Now that I have my PC connected to the Orbi router via ethernet, I did a speed test. I did multiple speed tests: (Fast.com, speedtest.net, and speedtest.xfinity.com). All of them are giving me around 80-110Mbps - this has me scratching my head - big time. WHY? This is crazy. I bought the Orbi b/c it's supposed to be the best out there - says numerous sources, mainly thewirecutter.com as of late.

Anyone have any ideas as to how the Orbi router can gimp my download speed this bad? I even did the speed test that is built into the router, and got a speed of around 100Mbps.

I'm a little disappointed, to say the least. 😞

Oh, I am on firmware V2.2.1.210 on both the router and the satellite.

I'm assuming that since the Orbi router is getting 100 Mbps via its speedtest, that the bottleneck is there? I should probably reboot my modem, for 734th time today?

Thanks for any feedback.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions

Last I checked, after the Xfinity tech came over, post-installation of Gig speed, I was at 900+.

He basically came by to cap all the coaxial drops in my house that weren't being used anymore. I was having a certain level reporting as high that shouldn't have been.

He also replaced two coaxial terminations (ends) where the white plastic was "pushed in" some - which also leads to signal loss/leak.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 28

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Message 2 of 28

I had edited my post and added this as you were replying:

I'm assuming that since the Orbi router is getting 100 Mbps via its speedtest, that the bottleneck is there? I should probably reboot my modem, for 734th time today?

Technicolor CGM4140COM.

The Orbi is running in router mode. The modem is running in bridge mode.

Message 3 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe your modem has a built in router already.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 4 of 28

The modem does have a built in router, which is why I enabled bridge mode. Doing this disables the wifi radios in the modem/router combo.
Message 5 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, making sure.

I would do a factory reset on the Orbi router and set it up from scratch. Don't add the satellites for now. Just the router and a wired PC. Set it up from scratch and do not enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls. Disable IPv6 as well. 

Use a web browser, FF or Opera and run some tests with speedtest.net and from your ISPs speedtest site. 

Message 6 of 28

What stinks is that this was a factory reset. I unboxed the router today. Brand spanking new.

I will probably do a quick test and see if the satellite is causing any issues. I'll turn it off. I'll also look into the transparent bidge mode.

Is there NOBODY else reading these posts that is a Gig speed Xfinity customer that can weigh in?
Message 7 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

That is true nowever the system was FW updated as well. Seen issue with this auto update and others have said they have even manually updated the FW and had better results. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Try with just the Orbi alone. Seen other with 1Gb speeds not getting anywhere near 900Mb on the wired side. Seems problematic with Orbi. 

You can try this and see what your Orbi router is actually doing if you have two PCs to test with:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wan2lan

another program is jPerf v2.02 

Might verify what the WAN to LAN speeds really are on the router....

Message 8 of 28
JammasterC
Star

On the Orbilogin.com page, the Advanced tab / Advanced Home , what's the 'Show Statistics' telling you?

Status column has some speeds.

Message 9 of 28

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN 1000M/Full 1109746 3138909 0 61384 531456 02:14:00
LAN 1 1000M/Full 923992 591430 0 137719 36963 02:13:50
LAN 2 Link Down 00:00:00
LAN 3 1000M/Full 02:02:59
WLAN b/g/n 400M 113023 85 0 13 1 02:13:26
WLAN a/n/ac 866M 75908 6071 0 5514 55 02:13:23
WLAN Backhaul 1733M 257994 157456 0 9056 5736 02:13:23
Message 10 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

That only shows connection rates. To check thruput rates, try one of the perf programs to measure what is actually happening on the WAN port. 

@computerninja wrote:
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN 1000M/Full 1109746 3138909 0 61384 531456 02:14:00
LAN 1 1000M/Full 923992 591430 0 137719 36963 02:13:50
LAN 2 Link Down 00:00:00
LAN 3 1000M/Full 02:02:59
WLAN b/g/n 400M 113023 85 0 13 1 02:13:26
WLAN a/n/ac 866M 75908 6071 0 5514 55 02:13:23
WLAN Backhaul 1733M 257994 157456 0 9056 5736 02:13:23

Message 11 of 28

Will do, FURRY. Do people with Google WiFi have these issues? I mean, seriously. What a pain this has all been.

Message 12 of 28

I need to get my 2nd PC wired up... may not have time to do that until tomorrow morning.

Nobody else on here has Comcast and can chime in? Just curious.

Message 13 of 28

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, making sure.

I would do a factory reset on the Orbi router and set it up from scratch. Don't add the satellites for now. Just the router and a wired PC. Set it up from scratch and do not enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls. Disable IPv6 as well. 

Use a web browser, FF or Opera and run some tests with speedtest.net and from your ISPs speedtest site. 

You can't disable IPv6 when the xfinity modem is in bridge mode.

12.11.2018-17.41

Message 14 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry, meant to say disable IPv6 on the Orbi router...

@computerninja wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, making sure.

You can't disable IPv6 when the xfinity modem is in bridge mode.

12.11.2018-17.41

Message 15 of 28

This is nuts. I even went out and bought a Netgear CM1100 modem from Costco and am still getting 80 down and 40 up. The upstream is what it should be, the downstream, not so much. Grrrrrr.....

Message 16 of 28

It's mind-blowing that upstream is fast as it's supposed to be... now to try some other stuff...

I was praying it was the xfinity modem. Oh well. At lesast I won't have to rent their for $11/mo. 

Message 17 of 28

Okay, rebooted computer, rebooted router, rebooted modem. Got 940/40. This stuff shouldn't be this flaky. Can we all agree on that?

Message 18 of 28
MidTnMike41
Aspirant

I have the exact same setup and I can only get about 350mbps down. I have tried everything. Reseting the Orbi, resarting the Orbi, the modem, the computer and nothing works. Is yours still getting 900 plus down?  I am getting fustrated with it.

Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress or updates on this? 

@computerninja wrote:

It's mind-blowing that upstream is fast as it's supposed to be... now to try some other stuff...

I was praying it was the xfinity modem. Oh well. At lesast I won't have to rent their for $11/mo. 

Message 20 of 28

Last I checked, after the Xfinity tech came over, post-installation of Gig speed, I was at 900+.

He basically came by to cap all the coaxial drops in my house that weren't being used anymore. I was having a certain level reporting as high that shouldn't have been.

He also replaced two coaxial terminations (ends) where the white plastic was "pushed in" some - which also leads to signal loss/leak.

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know what happend.

So you are getting 900+ now thru the Orbi? 

@computerninja wrote:

Message 22 of 28

Wired, yes.

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad its working for you know and it was an ISP issue. Thanks for letting us know. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. \

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@computerninja wrote:

Wired, yes.

Message 24 of 28
Robreiderjr
Tutor

Furrye38 - 

Well I finally figured out the issue. It wasn't Orbi, it wasn't my ISP (Spectrum), it was the ethernet cable between the Arris modem and the Orbi router that was the problem. I'm getting the full 200+ Mbps download now. I feel much better and I'm super happy with how the system is performing all over my home. Thanks for your help as well.

Regards,

Rob Reider

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7