Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New To ORBI

Figg
Follower

New To ORBI

So, I am very new to ORBI, coming from an EERO mesh system.  Saw the 3 unit ORBI at costco for $299 after $100 off, and grabbed it.  I also got a google wifi mesh system as well to try both and return one.  Google didn't like my setup and started getting all glitchy and what not, also poor speeds.  Having said that, my system is Comcast service --> Arris SB6190 --> ORBI Router --> back to my TP Link 24 port switch, which is feeding another 24 port switch.  I also have 2 of the satellites hardwired back to the ORBI router for backhaul, the other 2 satellites are connected to the switches for the same result. Both switches are unmanaged switches, so the ORBI is doing the routing.  Bought 2 more Satellites off facebook market for my shop.  So In all, I have 1 router, and 3 satellites.  Just updated the purchased satellites to latest firmware so everything is now running V2.3.5.30.

Honestly, I like the robustness of this system, I have great throughput anywhere in my house and my shop as well.  I like that the router is bigger than a hocky puck and actually has some power at its disposal to route.  But I have to say, it hasn't been super consistant.  It's not my ISP, but every now and then, the wifi will not work.  The wired stuff still works though.  So, it's as if the wifi stops, but my devices stay connected and have good wifi signal, just won't surf, wifi only though.  When I go to my desktop and log in using the orbilogin page, it will sometimes say internet status is WAITING.  Then sometimes I can refresh and it will say GOOD.  Bottom line, whenever is states waiting, my wifi is frozen.  But everything hardwired is still good.  

Side note, I am getting a single 48 port unmanaged switch tomorrow to simplify the daisy chained switch situation.  Any help will be greatly appreciated to improve my consistancy.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New To ORBI

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switches in the configuration. Note that some switch have "Green Ethernet" features. Some of these switch don't work well with Orbi systems. I would test this out by bypassing these switches with the RBS directly connected to the RBR if possible. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain should be disabled if RBS is ethernet connected, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle:

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7