Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Unsecured networks on Orbi RBK50

oldluddite
Aspirant

New Unsecured networks on Orbi RBK50

I have two networks on my orbi RBR50/RBS50. One is a guest network. Mac, OS 10.12.6

Firmware v2.0.0.74 

A couple days ago my iOS devices showed two unsecured networks with the same name as my usual. And these are functional. eg: Gabby is main network, shows as secured. Now I have another network named Gabby that shows as unsecured, and is functional. Ditto with the Guest network.

Came out of the blue.

Tried rebooting router. No change. 

Then went to orbilogin.com, first changed passwords to no avail, then deleted/disenabled the Guest network.

Rebooted router.

Unsecured Guest network still shows up and is functional and not secured.

Secured Guest network shows up, but is not functional

Have same duplication of main network.

?anyone have a good idea how to fix this?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
oldluddite
Aspirant

Re: New Unsecured networks on Orbi RBK50

Appreciate the thought, but as noted previously, when the router was turned off the extraneous networks went away. And when it was rebooted, they came back.

So don't think someone was spoofing...

It made no sense to me that a factory reset would allow these networks to exist. Even tho I went through all the steps on orbilogin from scratch, and made a new network with a completely different name and password and rehooked up with the satellite and so on, I just could not get my mind around a factory reset not clearing the decks.

So I did it again. It's a bit putsy to redo, but not hard.

Went through all the steps.

And then, just for giggles, did it once more.

Well, I guess Rinse and Repeat is a new effective operation. The phantom but functional nonsecured networks are gone, and so is the new ones I made up, except for the most recent and that seems to work fine.

So, I'll keep my fingers crossed, but can say that a factory reset apparently needs to be done more than once to 'take'. YMMV.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Try removing the networks from your IOS devices in the wireless settings and then see if you are still seeing more than 1 network?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
oldluddite
Aspirant

Interesting enough, I decided to do a factory reset of the Orbi.

Started back from scratch, made new network with different password, and no Guest network. 

Despite, this the old networks show up in SysPref on my Mac, tho I cannot use them, AND the unsecured networks on iOS show up and are usable!!

I would think that a factory reset would eliminate them. If I turn the router off, they do vanish, so it isn't like someone nearby is using the same names. 

More thoughts??

Message 3 of 5
guzzijason
Apprentice

Are you sure someone near you isn't trying to spoof your network? Do this: unplug your Orbi router and satellite(s) from the wall completely, and then scan and see if the mystery networks are still broadcasting. If they are, someone is doing something nefarious.

Message 4 of 5
oldluddite
Aspirant

Appreciate the thought, but as noted previously, when the router was turned off the extraneous networks went away. And when it was rebooted, they came back.

So don't think someone was spoofing...

It made no sense to me that a factory reset would allow these networks to exist. Even tho I went through all the steps on orbilogin from scratch, and made a new network with a completely different name and password and rehooked up with the satellite and so on, I just could not get my mind around a factory reset not clearing the decks.

So I did it again. It's a bit putsy to redo, but not hard.

Went through all the steps.

And then, just for giggles, did it once more.

Well, I guess Rinse and Repeat is a new effective operation. The phantom but functional nonsecured networks are gone, and so is the new ones I made up, except for the most recent and that seems to work fine.

So, I'll keep my fingers crossed, but can say that a factory reset apparently needs to be done more than once to 'take'. YMMV.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7