Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New User - Some Questions

GatorMitch
Aspirant

New User - Some Questions

Hello, hooked up the router and satellite yesterday.  Connected fine.  Since connecting, I have some questions:

1.  I followed the set up and changed the security password for connection.  Now this morning the system had a firmware update.  After update the security password changed back to default.  I never imagined that would happen and it took me a little while to realize that's why I couldn't connect.  Is this how the firmware updates are supposed to work?

2.  I figured out how to log into just the satellite unit.  Surprsingly, only 1 of my 10 connected devices show as accessing the satellite.  I have 4 devices that are within 10 feet of the satellite, they are 30 feet or more from the router.  Does this sound right?

3.  All my devices are on the 5g frequency.  Is this system controlled?  Can/should I put any on 2.4?

4. I activated the beamforming/Mu options.  Does this affect why so few devices seem to connect to the satellite.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.  Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
JMU1998
Luminary

Re: New User - Some Questions

I can comment on #3: since I have no legacy wireless devices on my network I have completely shutoff the 2.4GHz radio and I have also turned off guest wireless as well, these steps have helped with performance of wifi in my home for my setup and environment to an extent...ofcourse you will have to experiment and adjust and tweak what works for you and your scenario.

Message 2 of 4
JMU1998
Luminary

Also answer to your #4 for now it is recommended to keep the Beamforming and MUMIMO off (unchecked), hopefully a future Firmware will allow stability to turn these options back on.

Message 3 of 4
Ralph052
Guide

If your situation is ok ... i.e. Stable as mine has been since day 1, by all means enable. It makes a huge improvement in getting the signal to hone in on your devices.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7