Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New add on RBS40 Satellite sporadically showing solid blue ring

simonpjc
Aspirant

New add on RBS40 Satellite sporadically showing solid blue ring

I got the basic RBK40 Orbi system a month or so ago and it has mostly been behaving itself (on both firmware 1.12.0.18 and the newer 1.12.0.20), however coverage towards the back of the house and into the garden was rather poor (mainly due to my house's weird structure) so I wanted to get an additional satellite - which have only just became available in the UK.

My Router is located upstairs where my internet (Virgin Media UK) comes in, and my original satellite located fairly centrally downstairs.  As I say these have been pretty much working without any issue.  I have installed my new additional satellite (another RBS40) and I have located this in the kitchen at the back of the house.  It initially seemed to connect up fine (LED extinguised), and most of the time when I check the app or desktop page it shows the two satellites connected, however every now and then when I walk into the kitchen I see the new satellite with a solid blue ring showing, and after a while it will disappear again.  Is this something to worry about and if so what can I do to fix it?  The new satellite is also running 1.12.0.20 if that makes any difference.

Message 1 of 4
Arjun0o
Guide

Do you experience any connectivity issues with the new satellite? And I would also check if the IP address the Orbi router assigns to the new satellite changes or not. There is a possibility that it loses connection with the router and tries to connect again.

I also remember reading a post where a user was experiencing the same issue. He found out that whenever the light turned blue on the satellite, it meant that one of the bands(either 2.4ghz or 5ghz) had no devices connected to it. Try to login to the GUI of the satellite using the IP address assigned to it, and check if one of the bands say NO INTERNET or not. 

Message 2 of 4
simonpjc
Aspirant

I don't appear to be suffering internet connection issues, though it is early days a bit and I don't always have my phone around when I see the new router has the blue ring to see if it is actually providing a connection or not.  I hadn't realised you could log into the individual satellites too, however when I do so it is showing there are connected devices, though the connection between router and satellite is sometimes showing as all blue while at other times showing as blue on the top half and orange on the bottom half, so perhaps it is just on the fringe of being a "blue" or "orange" connection and this may be what is triggering the indicator LED to illuminate.  To be fair I have occasionally caught it being solid orange too, though it is most usually either not illuminated at all or solid blue.

I will keep monitoring it to see if it is actually causing disconnections or not - I can live with the LED sometimes coming on if all it is telling me is that I am flip flopping between a "good" and "ok" backhaul connection.

Message 3 of 4
Arjun0o
Guide

How far is the satellite from the router? If the ring LED on the satellite is magenta then we need to move it closer to the router. Try doing that and observe if it resolves the issue? I would also recommend you reset the satellite for 30 seconds. Most of the connectivity issues or other issues get resolved once we reset the satellite. There is a tool wifi analytics tool that allows you to check the connection between the satellite and the router(that is what I have heard). I have not used it personally. Perhaps give it a try as well?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7