Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New firmware so much better (1.4.0.34)

MattHopkins
Guide

New firmware so much better (1.4.0.34)

Just wanted to let you guys / others know that the latest firmware (34) has solved so many of my problems. I no longer seem to get connection drops on my Apple products (my MacBook Air would lose the connection when it was within 3 feet if the router before) and the overall speed/throughput seems to be improved also. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 31
bfeltovi
Aspirant

Re: New firmware so much better (1.4.0.34)

Do updates need to be applied sequentially or can I just skip to the latest?
Message 2 of 31
MattHopkins
Guide

I went from 18 to 34 and so can't comment, but I would think you can skip to the latest as this is how most hardware firmware updates should work 

Message 3 of 31
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Updated this morning to latest version 1.4.0.34 and no ios disconnections for a hour. Started dropping again multiple times since. Also still have disconnection issues with Nest cams if beamforming option turned on, post update. Logged again with Netgear support and was advised that 1.4.0.34 is supposed to have fixed the IOS issue and tech support suggested i reset the orbi system and re-run setup again. With regards to the nest cams, she said this hasn't been proven to be a fault with Orbi yet?

Anyone else having issues since new firmware, and if so has a factory reset made any difference ? I have advised tech support will reset and report back if not resolved

Message 4 of 31
Hydro130
Luminary

I have multiple iOS devices in my house (all running latest f/w), and have never had any connection problems at all with this latest Orbi f/w or any previous versions of the Orbi f/w.

I don't have Nest cams, so I can't comment on that.

Message 5 of 31
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

You do not have to update sequentially.   You can skip any intermediate ones and go to the latest.

Please remember to update your satellite(s) first, then your router.   And do not try and do them at the same exact time.   

Message 6 of 31
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Since having issues with latest update on orbi with iOS devices dropping wifi, I reset network settings in iPad Pro and then reconnected to wifi network and have had zero disconnections in last 3 hours, which is significant improvement. 

Message 7 of 31
Michael74
Guide

Hi,

I am facing also disconnects for our iPads (Air 1 and a 9.7 pro, both latest iOS).

I downgraded from .18 to .16 which made no difference, still disconnects.

Upgrade to .34 did not solve the issue either, still disconnects.

Beamforming and MU-Mimo activated.

I have not yet done a reset but will try that later.

BR

Michael

Message 8 of 31
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Have u tried only enabling the mimo? The only beamforming your able to enable is implicit which is for N devices. And explicit might work with any N devices u have anyhow. But I'd all your devices are ac then u don't need it anyhow. I'm assuming your nest devices are N? I would see if there are issues with them with implicit beamforming off.
Message 9 of 31
Michael74
Guide

Hi rustproofcorn,

food point regarding Beamforming, I will disable it and check whether the disconnects will stop.

BR

Michael

Message 10 of 31
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have android disconnecting, but no IOS issues and our house has mostly IOS devices.

Message 11 of 31
Jako888
Star

Installed .34 yesterday.

Still having iOS drop outs.  Netgear really need to get this sorted.  How hard can it be to test to make sure it works instead of releasing another firmware and cross fingers?

Message 12 of 31
Michael74
Guide

Hi,

short update from my end.

I am still on .34 and disabled Beamforming. Since then I recognized just one disconnect.

Anyhow, I totally agree with Jako888, Netgear has to get that fixed!

Has anybody tried the reset?

BR

Michael

Message 13 of 31
Jako888
Star

to add, it makes no difference to have Beamforming or Mu Mimo on or off.  I have tried all four combinations

Message 14 of 31
Michael74
Guide

Hi,

ok, thx for the update and good to know. have you tried the factory reset?

BR

Michael

Message 15 of 31
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Yes i have factory reset. No ios discconections until yesterday, and started dropping again. Dropped several times in quick sucession since. It certantly seems to be disconnecting on fewer occasions than before the update but i still dont have the issue fully resolved to my satisfaction. 

Message 16 of 31
Blindtester
Initiate

My connections have been dropping like crazy after the firmware update - 3 Neetcams, iPhones, PC and Mac. I tried to play with various combinations of Beamforming and MU-Mimo with more or less the same problem.
Message 17 of 31
Michael74
Guide

Hi,

in the last 30 minutes I had 3 disconnects with my iPad Pro. My wife using her Air 1 in the same room did not have a single disconnect....

Anyhow, .34 is not solving the issue.

BR

Michael

Message 18 of 31
Michael74
Guide

Hi,

perhaps just co-incidence but I recognized today that I only have disconnects when our iOS devices are connected to the router. As long as they are connected to the satellite I do not face any disconnects. During more than 4 hours there was no single disconnect, including streaming of a TV show to a iPad pro with no issues at all.

Hopefully Netgear is reading this thread as well....

BR

Michael

Message 19 of 31
JMU1998
Luminary

Have reverted back to 16 the latest still has frequent drop issues, after running for 4 days and factory reset 34 is sill unstable iOS devices and now even my android Xperia z4 tablet is dropping, after going back to 16 and factory reset everything is stable again.  netgear engineering really needs to investigate what is wrong with Firmware after 16 release... 

Message 20 of 31
Jako888
Star

Tried various positons of the satelite today, as someone had suggested it could be down to it being too close to the router.

Didnt matter where I positioned in the house.  Stil iPad drop outs.  Really hope Netgear gets this sorted soon.

Message 21 of 31
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Do u have mimo or implicit beamforming on?
Message 22 of 31
Jako888
Star

Both off.

Over the weekend I tried all four  combinations of them on and off and it made no difference whatsoever.

Message 23 of 31
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

How big is you he house?
Message 24 of 31
Jako888
Star

200 sqm.  3 floors.

Signal is fine as such.  Ipads running with full set off bars most of the time and then suddently signal drops for like 30 sec.

Good signal between router and satelite too.

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 20 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7