Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New orbi - several devices will not connect

AKWillows1
Aspirant

New orbi - several devices will not connect

Hi

just setting up a new Orbi system. The network is up and running smoothly, but I have 3 hard wired devices which will not connect to the router:

-Philips Hue hub v2

-Raspberry Pi

-Fingbox

They are all connected via a Netgear GS208 switch and other devices on the switch are working and connecting properly. The Orbi have updated to the latest firmware and I have UPNP switched on on the router. 

The router is not showing them in the list of attached devices and indicator lights on each of the devices are showing that they are not connected to the internet. None of them has a fixed IP address set on the device. I have tried various combinations of the order in which the devices are turned on but to no avail. Any suggestions please?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New orbi - several devices will not connect

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Did you try connecting these devices directly to the back of the RBR to see if they are seen with out the switch? 

Your switch has the following"

ENERGY EFFICIENT ETHERNET (IEEE 802.3az)

This has been known to cause problems with Orbi systems.

Message 2 of 8
AKWillows1
Aspirant

Hi

The firmware is 2.5.0.38. Weirdly, I have just tried connecting one device direct the router and it has worked. The switch that I am using always worked with my previous router and other devices on the switch are working correctly

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Orbi is kind of particular with switches. Managed and switches with Green Ethernet features are problematic for Orbi. 

If you need a swtich with the Orbi, get into a switch that doesn't have any Managed or Green Ethernet features. I think the GS 10x series doesn't have green ethernet features. 

Message 4 of 8
AKWillows1
Aspirant

Ah ok. Thank you so much for your prompt reply. At least I can get the key parts of my smart home up and running by plugging direct into the Orbi or the satellite.

it's weird, I was most worried about all the major set up issues that I have seen in some people's reviews, but the main set up went smoothly, only to be caught out by this.

The switch I have is unmanaged, but clearly Orbi doesn't like it. I've not actually heard of Green Ethernet features before! Do you know for a fact that the GS 10x works ok?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't have any personal experience with th GS10x line, I use HP Procure 1400s and D-Link DGS-105/108s. They work fine with my RBK50. 
NGs GS10x series seems similar to D-Links DGS-10x series, probably same HW. All made in China. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 8
AKWillows1
Aspirant

Really appreciate your help. I'll give the D-link a go... good old Amazon Prime!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya man. Thats where I got my DGSs from. Inexpensive too.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7