Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New owner of Orbi RBK53

Neel1994
Tutor

New owner of Orbi RBK53

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK53, which I’m running on a 4G network. I’m based in the U.K and just have a couple of questions to ask.

1) When I run a speed test on the Orbi app, I’m getting 200MB DL/80 UL. However, when I run a speed test on a designated website, such as Google’s speed test. I’m only getting 50? What’s the reason for this? is Orbi displaying fake results? I never used to get more than 80MB DL and that was directly connected to my 4G EE router! (4G is capable of reaching 300+ DL in rare circumstances)

2) Randomly, the LED will stay solid blue, then sometimes go orange. What’s the cause of this? Aren’t they supposed to stay off?

Thanks!
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
AC641
Luminary

I replied to this thread yesterday (or thought I had!) but it doesn't appear here so I'll start again!

I used to have the same set-up as you i.e. the EE 4G Router and the RBK53.  I have subsequently replaced the EE 4G Router and I'll get to that at the end.  To answer your questions:

- The speeds I see reported using the Orbi App are ridiculous and don't agree with any other means of speed testing.  Ignore the Orbi App and use something like Speedtest.net.

- The lights should all go out when the sytem is running correctly.  (See below)

- The EE 4G Router cannot operate in Bridge Mode i.e. as a modem only so at the moment you have two routers in your network; this will cause issues and I'm surprised it's working at all.  Select AP Mode on the Orbi and you should have a stable network and all the lights should go out.

One of the reasons I swapped out the EE 4G Router (for a Netgear LB2120 4G Modem) was that it couldn't operate as a bridge and I wanted to use the Orbi as the Router.  Additionally, with the EE 4G Router you cannot assign static IP addresses, are limited to 32 connected devices etc.  If this isn't important to you stick with the EE device.

A lot of people (including a neigbour of mine) experienced issues with the Router shutting down as though in a power-saving mode.  If you experience this, send the Router back to EE for replacement.

Edited to Add.  If you find that you cannot access a few websites or that you cannot log-in to an app on your phone etc. basically any strange behaviour, go in to the EE 4G Router's GUI and change the IPv4&IPv6 setting to IPv4 only.  This solved all access issues for me and others.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 15

All Replies
Neel1994
Tutor

Hi guys just one more thing.

Is it best to set up the Orbi in AP mode? I haven’t changed anything since setting it up and it all seems to work fine. I only turned off the WiFi on my router.

What’s the benefits of having it in AP mode If there is any?

Thank you and some replies would be great!
Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance? If so,

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.This would be one case for the need of AP mode on the Orbi.

Message 3 of 15
Neel1994
Tutor

This is the modem. It has a load of settings when I log onto the admin page but I don’t know what you mean by is it a router? It has WiFi on it, yep, but the internet comes from a 4G network.

Okay thanks, but what benefits will it give me if I switch to AP mode? Currently I’m getting 200MB DL on the satellites and that’s the most I’ve ever had! No connections issues so far... can switching the AP mode possibly boost speeds? WiFi coverage? Stability long term?

Thank you
Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi is a ROUTER, not a modem. Modems are another box that connects with your ISP service, in yoru case something 4G. Then the Orbi ROUTER connects to this modem. Modems and routers are two different things.

Yes, try AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 5 of 15
Neel1994
Tutor

Thank you I’ll give AP mode a go...

Do I need to change any particulate settings on my ISP router admin? Or is it just the case of enable AP mode on the orbi

Thanks for the help btw
Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Just the Orbi router change to AP mode...

Message 7 of 15
AC641
Luminary

I replied to this thread yesterday (or thought I had!) but it doesn't appear here so I'll start again!

I used to have the same set-up as you i.e. the EE 4G Router and the RBK53.  I have subsequently replaced the EE 4G Router and I'll get to that at the end.  To answer your questions:

- The speeds I see reported using the Orbi App are ridiculous and don't agree with any other means of speed testing.  Ignore the Orbi App and use something like Speedtest.net.

- The lights should all go out when the sytem is running correctly.  (See below)

- The EE 4G Router cannot operate in Bridge Mode i.e. as a modem only so at the moment you have two routers in your network; this will cause issues and I'm surprised it's working at all.  Select AP Mode on the Orbi and you should have a stable network and all the lights should go out.

One of the reasons I swapped out the EE 4G Router (for a Netgear LB2120 4G Modem) was that it couldn't operate as a bridge and I wanted to use the Orbi as the Router.  Additionally, with the EE 4G Router you cannot assign static IP addresses, are limited to 32 connected devices etc.  If this isn't important to you stick with the EE device.

A lot of people (including a neigbour of mine) experienced issues with the Router shutting down as though in a power-saving mode.  If you experience this, send the Router back to EE for replacement.

Edited to Add.  If you find that you cannot access a few websites or that you cannot log-in to an app on your phone etc. basically any strange behaviour, go in to the EE 4G Router's GUI and change the IPv4&IPv6 setting to IPv4 only.  This solved all access issues for me and others.

Message 8 of 15
Neel1994
Tutor

Thank you very much. That is very helpful and will change the orbi to AP mode once I get home.

One more thing, if I leave the Orbi in AP mode will I still be able to enable beam forming and MU-MIMO?

Also, in AP mode, does the orbi still use the dedicated backhaul of 5G it has for transferring signals to the satellites?

Thank you
Message 9 of 15
AC641
Luminary

No problem.  The answer to both your questions in the above message is 'Yes.'  Essentially, all you're doing by selecting AP Mode is removing the 'routing/DHCP' element' and, in this case, allowing that to be done exclusively by the EE 4G Router.  Everyting else stays exactly as it was when in 'Router' mode.

Message 10 of 15
Neel1994
Tutor

Thank you so much!

Sorry to be a pain. But can I expect any performance boost in terms of speed by doing this?

Message 11 of 15
AC641
Luminary

@Neel1994 wrote:
Thank you so much!

Sorry to be a pain. But can I expect any performance boost in terms of speed by doing this?

You may see a speed increase as you won't have two routers interfering with each other though I doubt it will be much.  Post back with how you get on.

Message 12 of 15
Neel1994
Tutor

So i've just changed over to AP mode and all seems to be working as it was!

My computer, connected via WIFI is showing a DL speed of 147MB, and 38 up, which i'm happy with.

One annoying thing i've noticed however, that when i check the connection status of the satellites im nowgetting a poor connection to the router via 5G! However, speeds are still extremely fast. 

Should i be worried? 

This didn't occur in router mode.

Message 13 of 15
AC641
Luminary

Don't wory about the 'Poor' connection status.  When I was using the wireless backhaul the connection status varied from Poor to Good but it never dropped.  I now use Devolo dLAN 1200 powerline adapters to provide a wired backhaul as I had a spare.  I have quite a few Powerline adpaters around the house.

Message 14 of 15
Neel1994
Tutor

Okay - I suppose everything is running as it was prior so all is good!

Doesn’t the powerline adapters lose speed? That’s one of the main reasons I bought an orbi as my adapters would only fork out 10MB!
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7