Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New-to-me Orbi Router--Firmware Update Fail

Coast2
Follower

New-to-me Orbi Router--Firmware Update Fail

A friend gave me a 14-month-old RBK50 system (RBR50 + RBS50) that he hadn't used in a while. I got it up and running ok, but I can't get the router firmware to update. I spent probably 3 hours looking at the many Orbi firmware update failure threads and trying what I could try, so, I am attempting to do my homework. 🙂  I've tried to manually update the router with 12 different firmware versions, and each time, I get the message "The firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

Using the "Online Update" tab in the admin panel, the *satellite* updated to firmware V2.5.1.16.
The *router* is on firmware 2.0.1.4.  Using the "Online Update" tab in the admin panel for the router returns "Update failed."

Using the "Manual Update" tab, I have downloaded and tried to install the .img file for the following router firmware versions: 2.1.1.12, 2.1.1.16, 2.1.2.18, 2.0.1.4 (trying to reinstall the router's current version in case that shook something loose), 2.1.3.4, 2.1.4.10, 2.1.4.16, 2.2.1.210, 2.2.1.212, 2.3.0.32, 2.5.1.16 (same as the router's current firmware), 2.5.2.4, and 2.7.0.70. Every time, I get the "firmware file is incorrect!" message.

This is on a PC running Windows 10 and hardwired to the router via Ethernet cable. I tried using 2 browsers, Chrome and Edge.

It seems that many, many people have this same problem. Has Netgear itself ever given a solution? This is my first Netgear product, and I was intending to buy additional new satellites for the system, but not if Netgear just abandons users that way. And it seems from the Netgear website that to talk to someone at Netgear after 12 months, you have to pay $90.

My apologies if I missed a solution in the Community. If anyone can help me solve this I'd be very grateful. Thanks all.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: New-to-me Orbi Router--Firmware Update Fail

First:  If you haven't performed a factory reset of each device, it is recommended that you do so.  With each unit, allow it to completely boot up (2-3 minutes), then press and hold the reset button for 7-8 seconds until power LED begins to flash orange/red and release immediately.  It should go dark for several seconds, then reboot itself. 

Second:  I would try Internet Explorer as the browser for this project since the others don't seem to work.  In Windows 10 it can be found under All Programs -> Windows Accessories.  

Third:  Wouldn't hurt to connect your PC to a LAN port on the RBR50 via wired ethernet if at all possible..  

Fourth:  I have seen more than one of these devices be very particular in stepping through the manual upgrade process.  You might even consider "downgrading" to a 1.8.0.6 version of firmware, then working your way back up.  I experienced one brand new router which started at 1.8.0.6, had no problem manually updating to 1.12.0.18 and would only jump into the 2.X firmwares by starting with 2.0.0.74. 

Lastly: Make sure satellites are upgraded to the same FW version as the router before syncing for the first time.  For manual updating, a factory default satellite will have an IP address of 192.168.1.250.  A factory default router will have an IP address of 192.168.1.250.  For either, Username=admin, Password=password.

Message 2 of 3
--Chuck
Guide

Re: New-to-me Orbi Router--Firmware Update Fail

@Coast2  Good to hear that you got the satellite's fw updated.

While it's true that you want your units to use the same version, note

that the satellite uses RBS50-V2.5.1.16.img 

and the router uses RBR50-V2.5.1.16.img 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7