Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Newtork map in ORBI app does not show devices when selected

Shinedown
Apprentice

Think I've found it in the web interface... changing it now...

Message 26 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Nope, unfortunately removing spaces has made no difference at all. Could this because I'm using in AP mode?

I'm also using a Galaxy S9 on Android 8, I'd be keen to hear if anyone with this phone and a similar setup has got this to work...

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 27 of 66
BillFry
Guide

Mine is an S8+ with android 8.0. I went into the Netgear Genie app and took the space out of the SSID on my router, it still lists with the space inside on the orbi app but now it shows all of the devices connected under the main unit and satellites where it did not before.
Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 28 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Thanks @BillFry  but space removal on the satellite has not worked for me.  The Router is called RBR50 (not changed at all) but no spaces in the name.

FYI, the app does list all devices under 'device list' but shows nothing in the network map sections so impossible to see what's connected to what. The Genie app is also incorrect for me, the network map displays, but just shows everything connected to the router. The only thing that splits things up correctly is the web interface. Absolutley baffling.

Message 29 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

So it has to be the Android app.

I just downloaded it onto my wife's iphone and everything works as it should. Netgear need to look at what's going on with this on the Galaxy S9 using Oreo.

Message 30 of 66
BillFry
Guide

I have Oreo on my S8+ so It has to be something with the S9 I would think. When I took out the space on the router and rebooted it fixed it and it has never worked since I bought the orbi. Hope you find your glitch
Message 31 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

Easiest to use web guide to change those. Good datapoints that the problem extends to sats as well.
Message 32 of 66
BillFry
Guide

Also it has to be the main SSID so it sends it out to all of the paths. I changed mine with the Genie app on my computer. After that it worked.when I first pulled up the Orbi app it didn't show but as soon as I refreshed it...bingo

Message 33 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

My main SSID does not have any spaces, nor do my router or satellite names. Still no joy 😞
Message 34 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

what is your SSID and your router/sat names exactly?

Message 35 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

SSID: ORBI
Router: RBR50
Sat: Satellite
Message 36 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the same thing happen if you change the SSID name from ORBI to something completly different? Try Shinedown for a quick test. 

@Shinedown wrote:
SSID: ORBI
Router: RBR50
Sat: Satellite

Message 37 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Hi sorry for the delayed reply (think we're working different time zones!). I will try your suggestion today and let you know if it works.
Message 38 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

@Shinedown wrote:
Hi sorry for the delayed reply (think we're working different time zones!). I will try your suggestion today and let you know if it works.

Message 39 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

No joy unfortunately.

I have since seen that some have rebooted the router after these changes, this is something that I haven't done yet.

However, I'm going to leave it for as long as I can because basically, loads of my devices incorrectly link to the satellite
instead of the router, like they should. This always takes me hours to fix, so not worth it until I absolutely have to do it. Thanks all, will let you know.
Message 40 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it goes later on. 

Smiley Wink

@Shinedown wrote:
No joy unfortunately.

I have since seen that some have rebooted the router after these changes, this is something that I haven't done yet.

However, I'm going to leave it for as long as I can because basically, loads of my devices incorrectly link to the satellite
instead of the router, like they should. This always takes me hours to fix, so not worth it until I absolutely have to do it. Thanks all, will let you know.

Message 41 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Ok, can confirm that I have now rebooted the router and satellite since my last post on here and unfortunately it hasn't helped at all. I can only conclude that the app is broken on my Galaxy S9 phone (now on Pie) as it works perfectly on my wife's iPhone. Uninstall/re-install of the Orbi app has not helped either.

Netgear please fix this.
Message 42 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

Can you please tell me your EXACT SSID and Orbi (router and satellite) names?  I had this problem and it may be in the names.

Message 43 of 66
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

None of the naming "fixes" have any effect on my Anroid S8+ running 8.0.0. My router has the default name. My SSID is a single word with no spaces or underlined spaces or dashes. Neither does uninstalling, reinstalling (with many tries of combinations of eliminating Google auto updates, backing up and reloading data when app is gone, etc.). Nor does rebooting the system. 

What I did notice was strange: When I initialize the app and the devices are loading (under device list) but not yet complete, I can also see the devices on the map. Once the list settles in to the full number of devices that actually are connected, give them a second or two, then checking the map, they are gone. The device list is complete, but the map is void.

Also, when the device list is fully loaded, but the map shows no devices, under details on the device list, the "connected orbi" is gone.  

I have 24 connected devices currently. If the list populates to 12, I check the map, and those 12 show up. At 18, all 18 show up on the map (and connected to proper satellite or router).When it hits 24, and there are no more to load, all devices disappear from the map and I get the no devices are connected blurb, and connected Orbi disappears from the detail on the device on the device list.

This is an Android app issue, which I am tired of chasing but needs to be taken seriously, now that we do not have Genie for Orbi anymore and this is the only remote app for Orbi. Please pay attention to the app, Netgear. Thank you.

Message 44 of 66
SalAKhan
Aspirant

Same here on an iPhone XS. Everything is up to date.

Space in the SSID shouldn't matter.

It's an app defect which IMHO doesn't surprise me considering the myriad of issues I've had with Netgear soft/firmware in the past.

I tested a Google WiFi for 2 weeks before getting Orbi (I needed a separate wireless backhaul) and never had an issue.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 45 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Shinedown wrote:

I'm also using a Galaxy S9 on Android 8, I'd be keen to hear if anyone with this phone and a similar setup has got this to work...

I have a Glaxaxy S9 and it works fine.

Message 46 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

I originally had this issue when I had a space in the SSID... when I removed them, the problem corrected itself... I dont recall if I did a reset afterwards.  I am pretty sure it is not the android app that has an issue.  I also know that this version of firmware also attempted to correct the issue you are experiencing.

Although a pain, I recommend you do a reset and set it up without spaces or special characters to see if that resolves it.

Message 47 of 66
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

No spaces in SSID, and never had any, and still ongoing issue. S8+, Android 8.0.0.

What doesn't work:

1. Reloaded app.
  2. Rebooted system.
  3. Turned off Google Auto Update, wiped out app, reloaded
  4. Wiped out app, backed up phone, turned off Google Auto Update, restored phone. reloaded app
  5. Remote management off
  6. Remote management on

Sometimes it begins to populate map with devices but when fully populated, devices disappear. "No Connected Device Found".

Device List itself is fine (but of course does not show which Orbi device is connected to). So the app / Orbi communication knows the connected devices are there. It is not like the whole app does not recognize connected devices, only the map part.

Maybe resetting the entire system works (tearing down and rebuilding everything) but this is not important enough to screw up anything else trying to make it work, but is an irritant when something does not perform as expected.

If mobile and it is necessary to see what devices are connected to what Orbi,I can always desktop view the web url on the phone.

Message 48 of 66
Chuck_M
Mentor

Looks like you have done everything except factory reset your orbi

Message 49 of 66
Shinedown
Apprentice

Every time I see the app getting updated I check, but still no joy on my GS9 on Pie. Works perfectly on my wife's iPhone. Orbi in AP mode, latest firmware, no spaces in device names, app uninstalled re-install etc, etc.

Like the poster above, I can still check via the web interface, but it would be much more convenient if the network map worked in the app.

C'mon Netgear please look at this.
Message 50 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 65 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7