Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Next Orbi Firmware Update...anyone know when?

Brads515
Guide

Next Orbi Firmware Update...anyone know when?

I am hoping that the next Orbi firmware update will solve some of the major wifi speed issues and erratic speed issues I get on my Orbi system.

Anyone have any idea of when the next firmware update is supposed to come?

Message 1 of 19
Glenee
Apprentice

Netgear Personel are the only ones who would know for sure. The rest of us would just be speculating at best.

Message 2 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We set internal targets for new firmware releases for our entire range of current products. These plans though are very subject to change. When it comes to updating software there's a lot you can't predict.

We believe in releasing software when it's ready rather than setting and meeting release date expectations on the community. Our goal with every update is to improve your experience, sometimes adding features and making other enhancements, as well as fixing issues and hopefully not introducing any new ones.

Where we do choose to communicate ahead of time for some products it's typically when a release is imminent. Even then there's the possibility that unexpected issues detected may hold up a release.

Message 3 of 19
Glenee
Apprentice

I just love the second paragraph. I wish that all companies took that attitude. Don't cause us more problems, cause were only looking for solutions.

Good Job Netgear

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 19
rhester72
Virtuoso

Now if they practice what they preach...

3 releases in a row with broken guest network in AP mode (and amusingly enough, very differently broken in each release).

It literally *can't* have been tested...it simply doesn't work.

Rodney

Message 5 of 19
jleecloak1
Apprentice

I have to agree the constantly dropped WiFi connections have been there since the first firmware. That is a major issue for me. I hate having to put my Orbi in AP mode and use my old router for routing the network just to get a stable connection. It's not what I bought the Orbi for.

Message 6 of 19
Glenee
Apprentice

And Mr. Netgear Moderator you would say what to these gentlemens concerns.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 7 of 19
alfista2600
Aspirant

My investment in Orbi has not really made my wifi better, and I'm looking for firmware updates as well.

Yesterday and today, I see a listing for:

V1.9.1.12

Current Version:V1.8.0.6
New Version:V1.9.1.12

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes bugs and security issues.<br>[Enhancements] Improves the firmware upgrade process.<br>[Enhancements] Continuous improvement in wireless connection stability.

But I can't update as my satellites never show the update. I don't see any references to this firmware on the netgear website either. Somewhat worried about this device being hacked somehow. 

Any thoughts?

Message 8 of 19
Glenee
Apprentice

I checked the website and they still show V1.8.06 as current. Please make sure you are on the right netgear Item for your firmware updates. I have got into the wrong firmware update for the piece of equipment that I have before and ther eis no harm done it just won't take it.

All the Best,

Glen

Message 9 of 19
alfista2600
Aspirant

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the reply. I was not clear. I see this new firmware in the admin console of the router. It picks up a new version for the basestation, but not the satellites. I'll try to attach an image here:

netgear.png

I do not see this version of firmware anywhere on the netgear site. I wonder if I somehow have a pre-release/beta/test basestation which might explain the performance issues I'm having.

Message 10 of 19
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

My satellite  wasn't updating either, after I rebooted both the sat and the main unit then both were able to download and take the firmware upgrade.

Message 11 of 19
alfista2600
Aspirant

what version are you at now? I've rebooted all three, and only the basestation will show an available (but as-of-yet unpublished) version of the firmware.

Message 12 of 19
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Both my main unit and the satellite are on V1.9.1.12, are you using your Orbi in AP mode?

Message 13 of 19
alfista2600
Aspirant

Thanks.

I am running in Router mode. My satellites never show the update. I guess I'll go reboot them all. I don't see a way to manually download this firmware version.

Message 14 of 19
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

@alfista2600  yeah this can be frustrating, I was in the same situation yesterday when my sat wasn't getting the update, hopefully they will put it up on the site tomorrow, usually they delay a few days before they list officially, then you'll be able to download and install it manually, but yeah try another reboot.

Message 15 of 19
alfista2600
Aspirant

I got it going. No remote reboot capabilities on the satellites but I rebooted the basestation and did an update as soon as it came up. The satellites followed suit.

Message 16 of 19
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Glad you got it going, but yeah, when I said reboot all units I meant manually, there's no remote reboot for the sats yeah.

Message 17 of 19
Glenee
Apprentice

Man SurprisedMy Mistake. When I go to the website it does not show that firmware. You must be getting it on a auto update, or by checking for new software. Netgear has so many products and you can download any of the firmware.

All my Best,

Glen

Message 18 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

The latest firmware is now posted on the support site.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#RBR50 (Orbi Router) Firmware Version 1.9.1.12

DarrenM

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7