Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk M1 and Orbi

Jlee2001
Aspirant

Nighthawk M1 and Orbi

I have done a lot of reading on this and need some help.  I have tried everything I can think of

My set up is

Nighthawk M1 4g LTE

Orbi Mesh system

I have it currently set up that my Orbi is in AP mode.  This works good, but we are wanting to use the circle app to control our kids stuff.  They basicaly live on their ipads and stuff.  They stay at parents when we both work, and we like the idea of being able to do the circle go so we can set the rules and it will be followed everywhere they go.  I have tried doing what I have seen, and it still would only work with the AP mode.  If I set the Orbi to router mode, it will only work for a few minuites then it will kick off, and I have to reset the orbi and the modem to make it work.  Is there any way to make this set up work, so I can use the Orbi in router mode, or do I need to change the modem to a regular modem and not use the hotspot.  Thanks in advance. 

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk M1 and Orbi

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Does the Modem have wifi as well running? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Message 2 of 6
Jlee2001
Aspirant

I am at work today, but will try the ideas tomorrow.  The Netgear nighthawk M1, is the only modem avaliable.  It runs on ATT towers.  There is no broadband service besides using satalite internet, that was slow and unreliable at best, but have great cell phone service, so we went with LTE internet, and use the Orbi mesh system to get it through out the house.  The only way I could get it work was leaving the WIFI on on the Hotspot, and set the orbi to AP mode.  I will see if I can update the other settings tomorrow when I get home, and try to get it.  

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The modems wifi maybe interferring with the Orbi wifi. 

Message 4 of 6
Davednz
Aspirant

Hi, do you mind if l ask how you got on with your nighthawk m1/orbi setup please. Also how all components are connected i.e. physical and/or wifi? I ask because l am looking to buy an nighthawk m1 to replace the huawei 315 4G lte router supplied by my isp that does not support open vpn (l live rural in New Zealand and will never get fibre). I alread use an orbi router +1 satellite in ap mode which works well as is (no kids at home to worry about). Thanks in advance. Dave
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7