Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk - Orbi Compability problem

Scott98006
Aspirant

Nighthawk - Orbi Compability problem

Can anyone tell me if the CM1150V is compatable with the Orbi Tri-band  - actually RBK43S-100N. The Nighthawk modem seems to be working fine but when I connect the Orbi system I get a connection but no WiFi. Did trouble shooting with Comcast but since the modem connection was good they could help no further. I then spent almost two hours with Netgear CS. He finally told me that I must have a defective unit (Orbi). I returned it to Best Buy and they gave me a new one. Had exactly the same issue. Each time I call Netgear CS, I wait no less than 45 min (once after waiting 50 min a technicial got on the call - after explaining my problem, the line went dead). Waited again well into the night and fell asleep - my phone timer was at 1hr:13 min and was still on hold. I finally gave up.  I have tried everythign possible. Rebooting both systems, changing out eithernet cables, using different ports , bypassing my PC and connecting directly to the Orb - nothing. Can someone please help.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router, CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk - Orbi Compability problem

Do you have anything else pluggd into the cm1150v? 

many make the mistake of thinking the 4 ports on it can be used. For the average user, only port 1 can be used. 

Here's way.

most isp's only supply 1 public IP address to the modem. It needs a router to assign private ip addresses. 

You can combine ports 1 and 2 for wan port aggregation (orbi doesn't support).

The only times all the ports can be used is if the isp supplies multiple public ip addresses. But again, thats rare in the ISP world and tends to be only business lines. 

Firmware on the orbi? 

Try factory resetting the orbi and CM1150v.

Then unplug everything from both and power them down.

connect coax back to the modem and power it up. give it a couple minutes.

then connect orbi to port one and power on orbi.

give it a few minutes.

try setup. 

Again, make sure nothing else but orbi is plugged into the cm1150v 

Message 2 of 6
Scott98006
Aspirant

Thanks. I tried many different configurations with the troubleshooter to include bypassing my PC (s only one port in use going into the Orbi). I did not try factory re-setting both. I'll give that a try.  

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Scott98006 wrote:

when I connect the Orbi system I get a connection but no WiFi.

The Orbi will provide WiFi without a network connection.  If the Orbi router is powered up and not connected to the modem, the Orbi will display that ugly magenta ring saying "no internet", but the WiFi should appear. (Takes about three minutes.) The WiFi name (SSID) and password are printed on the Orbi product label.  Usually the SSID is ORBIxx and the password is some random words.  You should be able to connect a PC to one of the Orbi LAN ports, open a web browser and connect to "http://192,.168.1.1".  The login is "admin" and the password is "password."  A WiFi device should connect to the Orbi WiFi.  It will say, "No Internet", but a web browser on a smart phone (for example) should be able to connect to "http://orbilogin.net" and bring up the Orbi web interface.

Can you confirm that the Orbi WiFi is (or is not) working?

Message 4 of 6
aakshey
Star

Change IP series for Orbi from NG series. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

That doen't make sence. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements