Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R700 AC1900 with Orbi RBR50 - best setup?

NetMan62
Aspirant

Nighthawk R700 AC1900 with Orbi RBR50 - best setup?

(Note - you cannot select AC3000 Orbi - it is not in the list for MODEL)

I bought the RBR50, unplugged my router, and set it up and tested...pretty simple, web interface same as AC1900. Using the Netgwear Wifi analyzer, getting 195 - 350 mbs speeds even when standing a foot or 2 from the satellite or hub, thought it would be better - using Galaxy S10 taht has MU-MIMO and beamforming tech, its alo a WiFi 6 device (I kno, nothign I own is WiFi 6 except the phone!)

Setup:

- Cat6 wired etherenet throughout house

- Nighthawk AC1900 router R7000

- 48 port Buffalo PPoE switch

- Arris SB 6583 cable model for Comcast 250 Mbs service

- just purchased RBR50 hub and satellite

Besides upgrading the Nighthawk to a newer router (let me know if that is also recommended), the reason for teh Orbi purchase was the poor WiFi in my single sotry 2500 sq ft home (pretty open, no ceemnt walls, all studs frame drywall). All my network equipment is in one closet (PPoE Buffao switch, cable modem, rack UPS, etc.). 

Wondering if I should just keep the Nighthawk AC1900 with FiFi disabled, add on the Orbi in Access Point Mode for best overall network? What settings would I need to make to the R7000 besides disabling WiFi?

On the Orbi, do I have to connect to the R7000 router ports, or can I attach to 48 port switch which is connected to the router? I can VLAN the Orbi off on the switch too.

Any other thoughts?  Thank you.

B

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7
NetMan62
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R700 AC1900 with Orbi RBR50 - best setup?

PS my only reason to upgrade would be to bond two ethernet ports on the switch into a new router like the X66 or AX8 for link aggregation, unsure if there is any other reason to upgrade.....unless I went off Orbi and use dhe X4/X6/X6S plugin mesh connectors?

Message 2 of 7

(Note - you cannot select AC3000 Orbi - it is not in the list for MODEL)

That's because it isn't a model (see below). The model is the RBR50 bit.

In various places you refer to R700, R7000, AC1900 and A7000.

My guess is that you mean the R7000, which is a router model that supports AC1900, which is not a model number but a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

@NetMan62 wrote:

Wondering if I should just keep the Nighthawk AC1900 with FiFi disabled, add on the Orbi in Access Point Mode for best overall network?

That should work. A lot of people run Orbis in AP mode.

What settings would I need to make to the R7000 besides disabling WiFi?

You don't even need to disable the wifi on the R7000. But if you have no need for the wifi, or if it causes issues, then by all means turn it off.

Message 3 of 7
NetMan62
Aspirant

Correct..r7000 night hawk ac1900 router. So I have the orbi rbr50 ac3000 now in AP mode working fine. However, WiFi on r7000 is disabled, as you don't want to use same said as the orbi.... The r7000 and orbi ac3000 don't act as one mesh network, pretty other notes on here.

Still wondering if I should just upgrade the R7000 to a Triband router or AX wifi6 router, versus adding on orbi. TVs,PC and Tivo hardwired, just a few phones, tablet and two laptops on AC WiFi (phones support wifi6) .

Thank you for the advice.
Message 4 of 7

@NetMan62 wrote:

Still wondering if I should just upgrade the R7000 to a Triband router or AX wifi6 router, versus adding on orbi. TVs,PC and Tivo hardwired, just a few phones, tablet and two laptops on AC WiFi (phones support wifi6) .

Do you have any problems with the wifi on the phones, tablet and laptops?

If your Internet speed is the limiting factor, "faster" routers will not do much.

Message 5 of 7
NetMan62
Aspirant

Was looking for better performance on the router ie processing capability especially since my TIVO and tvs are wired, port aggregation, etc. For WiFi would like the same wireless speeds as my internet connection - so looking for 300 mbs speeds, to match ISP speed. Have 2 samsung s10 phones, both have wifi6 with mu-mimo capability.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

To take advantage of WiFi 6, you may want to upgrade both R7000 and Orbi for a RAX router. 

Orbi is coming out with WiFi 6 systems I believe later on this year or next. Current Orbi systems will NOT see any WiFi 6 as this is a hardware change. 

@NetMan62 wrote:

Was looking for better performance on the router ie processing capability especially since my TIVO and tvs are wired, port aggregation, etc. For WiFi would like the same wireless speeds as my internet connection - so looking for 300 mbs speeds, to match ISP speed. Have 2 samsung s10 phones, both have wifi6 with mu-mimo capability.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7