Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawks as a Orbi Satellites

Cynomus
Guide

Nighthawks as a Orbi Satellites

Dear Netgear,

I have a couple Nighthawks R6220 and R7000, now I have an Orbi AC3000. I paid as much for the Nighthawks as the Orbi system. Please consider releasing firmware updates that allow Nighthawks and Orbi units to function together as a mesh, rather than a mesh and 2 disjunct WAPs, connected only at a VLAN level. Even if the backhaul could only go over the CAT6 interconnect, rather than wireless. I suspect, you are mostly interested in simply selling more high dollar units, but consider being loyal to your loyal customers, who already have invested heavily in your gear. (Including thousands in storage devices, and switches).

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Nighthawk routers don't suppot MESH systems or have the abilities to operate like Satellites. HW is different as well. NG probably isn't going to allow such configurations since the Orbi systems are a specifc design and intent as well as Nighthawk routers are specifc for there design and intent.

You can use your Routers as APs, LAN to LAN, they would just need to be on separate channels far apart from what the Orbi is using. 

Message 2 of 7
Cynomus
Guide

I understand they are different systems, I'm an engineer, however, I also understand that good code could still allow them to at least handle handing off clients between units in a coordinated manner. Further it would encourage existing customers to NOT considering purchasing other competing products from other vendors, when considering a new mesh wifi.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Well maybe a nice idea, however im sure there is specifi reasons why NG may not do that. The Orbi systems are specifcally designed to work with there HW. Im sure also NG may not want to bother there product lines as well. I presume NG may want to keep there way of doing things, good or bad or indifferent, the way see see fit. Been doing this a while though. Anything is possible. Wouldn't happen any time soon though. 

Message 4 of 7
madbrain
Luminary

This is not just about code but about the insufficient number of wireless radios in Nighthawk routers. You need 3 - one for the 5 GHz backhaul, another for 5 GHz 802.11ac, and another for 2.4 Ghz wireless N. Most other Nighthawk routers will only have at most 2 wireless radios.

Message 5 of 7
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Cynomus wrote:

I understand they are different systems, I'm an engineer, however, I also understand that good code could still allow them to at least handle handing off clients between units in a coordinated manner. Further it would encourage existing customers to NOT considering purchasing other competing products from other vendors, when considering a new mesh wifi.

To understand further go to Small Net Builder and read the threads about AiMesh.

There's quite limited support with that too, largely due to the wireless vendor development kit used in the various routers.

I expect Netgear will not update the vendor wireless development kit in most, if not all, shipping products.

Upgrading the same vendor wireless development kit to a newer version in of an existing product is more likely but also probably wouldn't be done unless there are problems with the router that have been fixed in the new kit.

Historically, domestic router vendors want you to by new kit to get this type of update, but you probably know that already, 😉

Message 6 of 7
Cynomus
Guide

Which is why I suggested using the wired LAN connection in leiu of the 3rd radio for the backhaul traffic.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7