Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Attached Devices displaying, Satellites appear disconnected

macyak
Guide

No Attached Devices displaying, Satellites appear disconnected

I hadn't logged into my Orbi router in ages, but I went in yesterday to reserve an IP address for a smart home hub. When I logged in, I found that both of my satellites were listed as Disconnected, and there was nothing listed under Connected Devices on the Attached Devices screen. However, everything on my network is working fine, including the satellites. I haven't noticed any performance issues, and a desktop wired to one of the satellites works fine.

I saw that there was a firmware update available, so I went ahead and updated to 2.3.1.60 (I think it was on 2.3.1.44 previously). The firmware update was successful on the router and both satellites, but it didn't make a difference. So today I tried factory resetting everything and setting it up from scratch. Still no difference, although the network is still working fine.

My setup:

• One router, 2 satellites
  • Probably about 20 devices total, a mix of laptops, chromecasts, google home devices, a roomba, iphones, etc
  • Not using parental controls or the new security feature

A few other observations from troubleshooting:

• Occasionally, refreshing the list of Attached Devices will show a device, but usually not. And after a device is listed, it will eventually disappear again. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to which device will get listed -- I've seen wired and wireless, devices with a reserved ip and devices without.
  • Two times, I've loaded the Attached Devices page and my satellites were listed as connected, but that didn't last long. 
  • I've tried logging in with different browsers and the iOS app. The only difference is that the iOS app says there are 2 satellites, while the web page usually says 0.
  • I looked at CPU usage on the debug.htm page. I haven't seen it above 45%, and its usually settles in between 10% and 12%.

I should probably just leave it alone since everything is working. But my OCD has kicked in, and I can't. Any ideas on what else to look for?

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 2.44.15 PM.png

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@macyak wrote:

...I should probably just leave it alone since everything is working. But my OCD has kicked in, and I can't. Any ideas on what else to look for?

Well, if it's not broken, don't fix it.  Smiley Happy

Orbi must talk to Satellites to acquire information for those devices to be displayed.  Since Satellites are disconnected, it's not a surpise that nothing is displayed, except for those that are able to connect to Orbi Router.  Try to ping each Satellite from Orbi telnet terminal.

If all your devices are working and they're not showing up here, login to each Satellite and verify they show up there.  Might also want try a different browser just in case.

Message 2 of 13
macyak
Guide

Thank you for the suggestions, but the satellites being disconnected doesn't explain it:

• Devices connected via ethernet to the router are not showing up
  • The laptop I'm responding from doesn't show up as a connected device on the router or either satellite
  • The satellites are definitely connected to the router. If I connect to one of the satellites via ethernet and tun off wifi, I can get online. And I am able to ping both satellites from the router using telnet.

Pretty weird. I guess I'm going to ignore it. It's nice to be able to see what's connected, but it's not critical. As long as everything keeps working.

Message 3 of 13
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Did you see those devices from Orbi App?

Message 4 of 13
macyak
Guide

No, they don't show up in the app either.

The weirdest part is that ocassionally devices will appear, and ocassionally one or both satellites will display as connected. But it seems completely random which devices show. And they don't stick around long.

Message 5 of 13
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

As long as Orbi app shows "Network Map" correctly, it's not a bad idea to ignore it.

Message 6 of 13
macyak
Guide

Yep, network map says both satellites are connected. I'll update if anything else develops. Thanks.

Message 7 of 13
dtrost
Aspirant

I am having same issue had you ever resolved your issue. I have rbr50 with 2 satellites all on firmware version 2.3.5.30 but my orbi app on Android does not show me network map and even trying to login it repeatedly ask me to login over and over it is basically useless.

Message 8 of 13
ekhalil
Master

Is Orbi in AP or Router Mode? What is the make and model of you ISP modem/router to which Orbi is connected?

Message 9 of 13
dtrost
Aspirant

It is in router mode. The modem is for AT&T Uverse it is a pace model number 5268AC/FXN.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode
https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Installing-Orbi-behind-ATT-Pace-5268AC-gateway/td-p/1234191

@dtrost wrote:

It is in router mode. The modem is for AT&T Uverse it is a pace model number 5268AC/FXN.

Message 11 of 13
JS_NGCommunity
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. Historically no problem and I've made no config changes to the Orbi devices or to my modem. I have two satellites. Both are connected and showing so, no issues. But I get an error trying to load the attached devices page in the web client, and show no attached devices on the iOS app. My firmware is up to date. Any suggestions welcome. I've tried 3 different browsers as well.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch.

Be sure to clear out ALL Browser caches. Walk thru the setup wizard. 

@JS_NGCommunity wrote:

I'm having the same issue. Historically no problem and I've made no config changes to the Orbi devices or to my modem. I have two satellites. Both are connected and showing so, no issues. But I get an error trying to load the attached devices page in the web client, and show no attached devices on the iOS app. My firmware is up to date. Any suggestions welcome. I've tried 3 different browsers as well.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7