Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Guest Network on Orbi Satellite?

la79
Apprentice

No Guest Network on Orbi Satellite?

Hello, seem to have an issue. I can't seem to get my Orbi Guest Network to broadcast on my Satellite. I've tried to turn on my guest network on and off on my router and have also factory reset my satellite. It still will only broadcast the main AP.

As anyone run into this problem? If so care to share a fix?

I'm using the latest firmware v.2.3.5.30.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@la79 wrote:
Have your tried logging into you Orbi satellite to see if both APs are listed?

Afraid that won't help.  I turned on "Guest", placed my phone close to the satellite, and it connected to "MyGuest" at 5G like it should.  The satellite Status page shows only the primary WiFi SSID (on both 2.4G and 5G).  I can find no mention of Guest on the satellite.  The router "Attached Devices" also shows my phone connected to the satellite "MyGuest".

This reinforces my feeling that the only way to determine if the satellite is actually broadcasting the Guest network is to see how many WiFi MAC addresses it appears on.  2 MAC's = router only.  4 MAC's = both router and satellite.  And, yes, I am disappointed that the satellite doesn't mention the Guest network.

(Disclaimer: this is the first time I have actually enabled the Orbi Guest network.  Never had a reason to before.  So, my experience with "Guest" is limited.)

p.s. Good idea to factory reset the satellite.  I'm sure you understand one of things people always recommend is a factory reset on the router (which NO ONE wants to do unless absolutely forced to).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@la79 wrote:

Hello, seem to have an issue. I can't seem to get my Orbi Guest Network to broadcast on my Satellite. I've tried to turn on my guest network on and off on my router and have also factory reset my satellite. It still will only broadcast the main AP.

Please explain how you determined that the satellite does not broadcast the Guest Network.  One of the tools I use is "WiFi Analyzer" by Kevin Yuan on my Android phone and tablet.  When I turn on the Guest network and set it to broadcast the SSID, WiFi Analyzer shows a total of four WiFi networks with that name.  Two are at 2.4G and two are at 5G.  All of the Guest WiFi MAC addresses match the MAC addresses of my Orbi router and satellite radios.

Message 2 of 10
la79
Apprentice

I am logging into my Orbi satellite and see only the main AP being broadcast. I do not see the guest network. My Router is broadcasting the guest network in both channels but all my guest devices only connect there.
Message 3 of 10
la79
Apprentice

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@la79 wrote:

Afraid that won't help.  I turned on "Guest", placed my phone close to the satellite, and it connected to "MyGuest" at 5G like it should.  The satellite Status page shows only the primary WiFi SSID (on both 2.4G and 5G).  I can find no mention of Guest on the satellite.  The router "Attached Devices" also shows my phone connected to the satellite "MyGuest".

This reinforces my feeling that the only way to determine if the satellite is actually broadcasting the Guest network is to see how many WiFi MAC addresses it appears on.  2 MAC's = router only.  4 MAC's = both router and satellite.  And, yes, I am disappointed that the satellite doesn't mention the Guest network.

(Disclaimer: this is the first time I have actually enabled the Orbi Guest network.  Never had a reason to before.  So, my experience with "Guest" is limited.)

p.s. Good idea to factory reset the satellite.  I'm sure you understand one of things people always recommend is a factory reset on the router (which NO ONE wants to do unless absolutely forced to).

Message 5 of 10
la79
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@la79 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. So used a wifi analyzer as recommended and see that it is broadcasting on the Guest Network. You are correct that the the satellite does not mention the Guest Network name. I guess my issue now is why none of my device are connecting to the satellite especially if it is so close.

Message 6 of 10
la79
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

@la79 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I may reset the router to factory default to see if that helps but don't want to go through all the hassle. Will continue to monitor my other devices.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can turn down the power output on the RBRs radios from 100% to say 25% temporarily while you troubleshoot connections with the RBS. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

RBS is wirelessly connected to the RBR? 

@la79 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. So used a wifi analyzer as recommended and see that it is broadcasting on the Guest Network. You are correct that the the satellite does not mention the Guest Network name. I guess my issue now is why none of my device are connecting to the satellite especially if it is so close.

Message 8 of 10
la79
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can turn down the power output on the RBRs radios from 100% to say 25% temporarily while you troubleshoot connections with the RBS. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

RBS is wirelessly connected to the RBR? 

@la79 wrote:

I'll try and turn down the power to investigate. I know that the distance from the router to the Satellite is about 15ft apart.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

15 feet is TOO close. Thats too much wifi signal over lap. Try 30 feet out if you can. 

@la79 wrote:

I'll try and turn down the power to investigate. I know that the distance from the router to the Satellite is about 15ft apart.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7