Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No-IP.com Dynamic DNS Update Failure

CrimpOn
Guru

No-IP.com Dynamic DNS Update Failure

Found 100's of these messages in Orbi log:

[Dynamic DNS] host name 0.0.0.0 registeration failure, Sunday, September 22, 2019 03:49:24
[Dynamic DNS] host name 0.0.0.0 registeration failure, Sunday, September 22, 2019 03:48:44
[Dynamic DNS] host name 0.0.0.0 registeration failure, Sunday, September 22, 2019 03:48:04
[Dynamic DNS] host name 0.0.0.0 registeration failure, Sunday, September 22, 2019 03:47:24

I am kind of at a loss for how to figure out what is wrong.  I have two hosts on No-IP.com  One has never had a problem.  The other suddenly started generating these messages every 40 seconds or so.  I have checked the host name, email account, & password.  The public IP address on the Orbi has not changed. (I connected successfully right before posting this.)

I VPN into this Orbi to manage it, and have no physical access.  Any ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Yes, this is a known issue, unfortunately, that was never fixed.

Every now and then (mostly after Orbi Router reboot) the DDNS connectivity will be -somehow- lost. You have to go manually on the the DDNS settings in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Settings >> DDNS. If you click on "Show Status" you will get a message in the meaning "there is no update for this ddns". What you need to do to fix this is to manually disable DDNS, click on Apply, then enable again and click on Apply to get it working again. I usually do this every time the router is restarted.

I noticed this issue in the early Orbi releases and the fault is still there.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Yes, this is a known issue, unfortunately, that was never fixed.

Every now and then (mostly after Orbi Router reboot) the DDNS connectivity will be -somehow- lost. You have to go manually on the the DDNS settings in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Settings >> DDNS. If you click on "Show Status" you will get a message in the meaning "there is no update for this ddns". What you need to do to fix this is to manually disable DDNS, click on Apply, then enable again and click on Apply to get it working again. I usually do this every time the router is restarted.

I noticed this issue in the early Orbi releases and the fault is still there.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the explanation.  Turning DDNS off and back on should not cause Orbi to reboot, will it?   I was fooled completely because the VPN access still works correctly.  Knew I should have put a UPS on that Orbi router!

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

..... Turning DDNS off and back on should not cause Orbi to reboot, will it?  .......

DDNS configuration will not reboot Orbi

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7