Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Orbi RBR50 firmware update (from V2.5.2.4) available

BjoernKW
Aspirant

No Orbi RBR50 firmware update (from V2.5.2.4) available

Today, I received an email from Netgear stating that a new router firmware version is available for Orbi RBR50 routers.

However, both the iOS app and the "Firmware Update" section in the web admin panel say that currently there's no new firmware version available.

The current firmware on my router is V2.5.2.4.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 40
John_Ba
Luminary

Had the same and no update, UK
Message 2 of 40
vajim
Master

@John_Ba wrote:

What should that tell you?

Message 3 of 40
BjoernKW
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@John_Ba wrote:

How are we supposed to know? Perhaps that Netgear's update servers aren't working right now?

Message 4 of 40
vajim
Master

@BjoernKW wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@John_Ba wrote:

How are we supposed to know? Perhaps that Netgear's update servers aren't working right now?

or....ask yourself this question...."is my network performing as it should?"

If so, perhaps you don't need a update.

Message 5 of 40
BjoernKW
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@BjoernKW wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@John_Ba wrote:

or....ask yourself this question...."is my network performing as it should?"

If so, perhaps you don't need a update.

The email by Netgear explicitly mentions an important security update.

This reply isn't just not helpful but actually harmful because it brushes off security concerns.

Message 6 of 40
vajim
Master

@BjoernKW wrote:

The email by Netgear explicitly mentions an important security update.

This reply isn't just not helpful but actually harmful because it brushes off security concerns.

Wonderful.....then I suggest you jump on it and keep the 'harmful' comments to yourself.  In the meantime, the suggestion is to do a search in here and read the number of those who updated only to find problems and ended up reverting back.  Please read the release notes and make your own decisions.  

This reply isn't just not helpful but actually harmful because it brushes off unnecssary firmware update concerns.

There are others like you that like to sniff out firmware updates and I'm sure they will chime in here soon.  So join them and I wish you the best.

Message 7 of 40
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

+ 1 also received the email.

Does anyone know if an Netgear rep actually monitors this board and if we are likely to get a response ?

Or is it a case of trying to contact support directly

Thanks

Message 8 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

You can manually update to this version if you want to:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

You don't have too. This version may not be posted to the auto update servers which isn't showing on the Orbi app or on RBRs web page. 

If your system is working, you don't have to necessarily update. 

Good Luck. 

@BjoernKW wrote:

Today, I received an email from Netgear stating that a new router firmware version is available for Orbi RBR50 routers.

However, both the iOS app and the "Firmware Update" section in the web admin panel say that currently there's no new firmware version available.

The current firmware on my router is V2.5.2.4.

Message 9 of 40
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If your system is working, you don't have to necessarily update. 

good advice from one of the smartest here on this forum 

Message 10 of 40
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

So, basically ignore the email from Netgear stating that a new router firmware version is available for Orbi RBR50 routers if yours is working OK.
Even though the Subject Line is "Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR"
Message 11 of 40
vajim
Master

@Bing-Stroller wrote:
So, basically ignore the email from Netgear stating that a new router firmware version is available for Orbi RBR50 routers if yours is working OK.
Even though the Subject Line is "Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR"

Basically...what I support is making up your mind.  Never used the word 'ignore'.

Advice in forums is like a box of chocolates, you'll never what you get.

Message 12 of 40
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Advice in forums is like a box of chocolates, you'll never what you get.

You have lost me there 🤔
Message 13 of 40
vajim
Master

@Bing-Stroller wrote:
Advice in forums is like a box of chocolates, you'll never what you get.

You have lost me there 🤔

I love typing 

Advice in forums is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get.  

Message 14 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

It's up to you if you want to update, or not. 

Your choice. 

@Bing-Stroller wrote:

Message 15 of 40
vajim
Master

Or you could simply say that it's  up to you if you want to update, or not.

Message 16 of 40
khemist
Initiate

I had the same experience with the Android app and web admin. Contacted Netgear Customer Support yesterday.  Got this response this morning:

It would be better to manually update the firmware version of the router and satellite/s,
Here's a link below to do it:
https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

I did a manual update to satellite and then router this morning.  Everything's running fine.

The two updates took a total of about 30 minutes, including testing after each update.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that worked for you. Manual updates work well. 

Enjoy. 

@khemist wrote:

I had the same experience with the Android app and web admin. Contacted Netgear Customer Support yesterday.  Got this response this morning:

It would be better to manually update the firmware version of the router and satellite/s,
Here's a link below to do it:
https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

I did a manual update to satellite and then router this morning.  Everything's running fine.

The two updates took a total of about 30 minutes, including testing after each update.

Message 18 of 40
vajim
Master

Glad that worked for you. Manual updates are NOT recommeded by many.

Enjoy. 

Message 19 of 40
dthittner
Initiate

I was also stuck at firmware V2.5.2.4, and the router showed no newer firmware updates available, despite receiving a notice from Netgear about firmware updates. I went to the support website today and downloaded the latest published V2.7.1.60 (US) and applied it manually to the satellite and then to the router per their general instructions. After rebooting, the router said that an even newer firmware was available, V2.7.2.102, which it allowed me to download and update automatically.

Netgear really needs to work on:

1) Having a clear published path to new firmware versions that the routers can use for updating, without the "dead end path" that we on V2.5.2.4 have seen, and

2) Tell us *explicitly* what was fixed or improved in each version. There should be a *cumulative* firmware reversion log, that shows ALL fixes and improvements to the firmware over time, so that you can see what things have been fixed that might impact your configuration.

My RBR50/RBS50 has been a really good router combo and I love it, but the firmware support and documentation lags way behind the standards seen from other tech companies.

Message 20 of 40
vajim
Master

I agree with you 

However being on the same firmware as you I don't feel like I'm stuck.  I've had my Orbi going on 4 years and usually what happens I let it roll and one of two things occur:

1. Eventually Netgear will push an update (I was told they still do that)

2.  The system starts to act up and I manually go after an update.   By then the update has been around for awhile and the bugs have been worked out...?

The last time this process ran its course I went about a year between updates.  The one thing I didn't experience was the grief of manually performing an update only to have to deal with bugs.  Was my system safe?   All I know is that it worked which is what most support customer service reps will ask you.

Many in here subscribe to the ideal you MUST keep your firmware up to date.  I believe that as well as long as the update is stable.  The wait trade off is worth it to me.  Some in here will claim that a certain update works for them and they expect you to accept that as gospel and it will work for you as well.  

It's your system your choice.  You decide as you TRY to enjoy what you paid for 

Message 21 of 40
alokeprasad
Mentor

@dthittner wrote:

I was also stuck at firmware V2.5.2.4, and the router showed no newer firmware updates available, despite receiving a notice from Netgear about firmware updates. I went to the support website today and downloaded the latest published V2.7.1.60 (US) and applied it manually to the satellite and then to the router per their general instructions. After rebooting, the router said that an even newer firmware was available, V2.7.2.102, which it allowed me to download and update automatically.

1) Having a clear published path to new firmware versions that the routers can use for updating, without the "dead end path" that we on V2.5.2.4 have seen, and

2) Tell us *explicitly* what was fixed or improved in each version. There should be a *cumulative* firmware reversion log, that shows ALL fixes and improvements to the firmware over time, so that you can see what things have been fixed that might impact your configuration.

My RBR50/RBS50 has been a really good router combo and I love it, but the firmware support and documentation lags way behind the standards seen from other tech companies.

I followed the same steps as you and everything went fine.  The Orbi's retained their previous settings with no apparent ill effects.

on 1.: NG is behaving like a large organization with disparate departments that don't communicate with each other: the software development dept. seems disconnected from the support web site department from the "check for firmware updates" server department from the "notify users of critical updates" department.  They should put all their effort behind one firmware version, QC it and roll it out to all channels when the update is ready.  The only exception should be a hot-fix for fixing security exploits that are getting used in the wild.  The hot-fix would be followed by a fully vetted release a few days/weeks later.

On 2: NG provides minimal information about the change-log for the updates.  The following site lists security exploits and fixes.

https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

One can then google the security bulletin # (e.g., PSV-2020-0224) to find out more details about it.  Or google "Netgear security exploits" and see whats getting reported in the media.  For example, check out this site and see whats on the top 20 listed alerts Smiley Frustrated

https://nvd.nist.gov/

Not ideal.  But "it is what it is".

Message 22 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed. 

Manual updates work well and are a recommended normal process. Especially when something happens.  

I think NG handles FW on a different basis and due to other designs and implemenations, happens to have various lines of FW. Some maybe due to legal reasons or regional policy as well. Other router mfrs have regional development thus differences in FW versions and features. Just how some mfrs seem to do there business around the world. All can't be the same for unknown reasons. It is what it is. You either like it or not. 

Good Luck

@dthittner wrote:

Message 23 of 40
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Manual updates work well and are a recommended normal process. Especially when something happens.  

Not 100% true.

Each to his own process.

Now let the attacks begin.Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 40
--Chuck
Guide

Ref: RBK Downloads (Click on "View Previous Versions) It looks like v2.5.2.4 was the last version before NG released "US Region only" versions. I guess they haven't implemented any way to indicate which region the hardware is located. Therefore the appropriate (US Region or NON US Region) firmware couldn't be listed in their app and this probably breaks any NG update pushes.

US Region got FCC'd? 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7