Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No RBS50 Internal Satellite sold seperately?

AnthonyBe
Guide

No RBS50 Internal Satellite sold seperately?

I've recently purchased the RBK50 pack (AC3000 Router [RBR50] + Satellite [RBS50])

I would like to get 1-2 additional RBS50 Satellites but I can't see anywhere on the Netgear site, or through usual retailers, that the RBS50 Satellites are sold seperately in Australia?

All I see are the RBS50Y Outdoor, or RBS50's on eBay that are more expensive than my original RBK50 pack and seem to come from overseas!

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Check Amazon? 

@AnthonyBe wrote:

I've recently purchased the RBK50 pack (AC3000 Router [RBR50] + Satellite [RBS50])

I would like to get 1-2 additional RBS50 Satellites but I can't see anywhere on the Netgear site, or through usual retailers, that the RBS50 Satellites are sold seperately in Australia?

All I see are the RBS50Y Outdoor, or RBS50's on eBay that are more expensive than my original RBK50 pack and seem to come from overseas!

Message 2 of 11
AnthonyBe
Guide

Amazon, eBay, JB, HN, etc etc etc. All same.

The fact that there isn't even anything listed on the Netgear website is the biggest worry however.

So, hoping to hear from someone that can confirm whether the RBS50 Satellite is officially available seperately.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I found RBS sold separate on Amazon. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 11
AnthonyBe
Guide

I'm not saying they aren't available *at all*.

I'm saying that it is odd that Netgear does not advertise an actual stand-alone RBS50 stand-alone product (or multi-pack) to extend the RBK50 starter pack.

And yet, there *are* stand-alone RBS50s for sale on eBay (mostly from overseas) and Amazon (all from non-mainstream stores) at what I would class as extremely high prices (>AUD$500) for a single unit.

So if Netgear doesn't advertise a stand-alone RBS50, where are these coming from? And why mostly from overseas and at high price?

It feels like either some weird unbundling, or selling of refurb units, or something.

So, I'll say it again, it would be great to hear from a Netgear rep as to what the official position on availability of expansion products for the RBK50 package, beyond the RBS50Y Outdoor unit. Specifically, is there an official RBS50 single unit, and/or multi unit, package.

Message 5 of 11
Taipan774
Aspirant

I have the same concerns. I tried to ask Netgear via Facebook but they just kept sending me dodgy Amazon links for high prices.
Message 6 of 11
tg1970
Aspirant

So are we meant to buy the RBS40 as the satellite for the RBK50 system in Australia now? That doesn’t really make sense to me. Can anyone from Netgear confirm? Strange we can get the AC3000 outdoor unit but not the indoor one??
Message 7 of 11
AnthonyBe
Guide

The response I received from Netgear via Twitter from (at)NetgearHelp on 1st May 2019 was:

Hello Anthony - Thanks for reaching out. At this time we don't have details on stock availability for an RBS50 in Australia. Please feel free to check back with us in the future

So.. quite disappinting and a baffling marketing and product release strategy in Australia for a premium product in the Netgear range.

Message 8 of 11
tg1970
Aspirant

Definitely disappointing and baffling. Seems a very odd marketing decision to sell the RBK50 kit but no matching indoor satellite? Doesn’t appear they’re selling the RBK53 with the router plus two satellites either.
Message 9 of 11
alateralus88
Aspirant

Hey man, it does seem they have them on their site, but as u said it is sold by amazon. I just got orbi's yesterday from bestbuy, what i ended up doing was getting the 3gig two pack and a 2.2gig 3 pack. Leaves me with an additional router, but from what i read online u can use the additional router if u hook it up by ethernet to the main router. The price difference between buying one alone and getting another two pack in the US is around $50, so it really doesnt make sense to just get one alone, might as well get the two pack and find a way to use that second router. Just in case, the router cannot be turned into a satellite, you have to do the above. I just took down the Velop mesh system and im liking this more- seems more steady internet push than Velop.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes the 2nd RBR can only work as a router or be configured for AP mode and wired to the main host router. 

30 feet is recommended in between main host router and RBS's to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Glad it's all working for you. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@alateralus88 wrote:

Hey man, it does seem they have them on their site, but as u said it is sold by amazon. I just got orbi's yesterday from bestbuy, what i ended up doing was getting the 3gig two pack and a 2.2gig 3 pack. Leaves me with an additional router, but from what i read online u can use the additional router if u hook it up by ethernet to the main router. The price difference between buying one alone and getting another two pack in the US is around $50, so it really doesnt make sense to just get one alone, might as well get the two pack and find a way to use that second router. Just in case, the router cannot be turned into a satellite, you have to do the above. I just took down the Velop mesh system and im liking this more- seems more steady internet push than Velop.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7