Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Valid IP address for multiple devices- comes and goes (RBR50 & 2 satellites)

BmMdlk
Tutor

No Valid IP address for multiple devices- comes and goes (RBR50 & 2 satellites)

This started a few months ago and has been getting progressively worse. Both wired and wireless devices randomly drop their connection with the error message no valid IP address. Power cycling the router has become a regular exercise- this often fixes the problem. Setting up a manual IP address usually fixes the problem, but later, going back to auto DHCP, it'll be okay again. Access Control set to allow all devices and I'm running the latest firmware V2.7.4.24. Time for a new router???

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
BmMdlk
Tutor

Re: No Valid IP address for multiple devices- comes and goes (RBR50 & 2 satellites)

Changing the address pool range seemed to fix things- at least for now, Thanks for that suggestion, I never would have thought of it!

I appreciate your help!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: No Valid IP address for multiple devices- comes and goes (RBR50 & 2 satellites)

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

How many devices do you have connected to the system? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 6
BmMdlk
Tutor

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V2.7.4.24

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000. I purchased and installed

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

I am using CAT6

How many devices do you have connected to the system? \

20-25. Usually only 3 or 4 used at a time

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS 100+ feet to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Using auto and 48. Haven't tried other channels. Will test other channels.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

No

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

yes

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

This has been done several times.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Yes

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try different channels

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You might change the default DHCP IP address pool range to 192.168.1.100 to .150.

100Ft maybe too far for RBS distances. 40-maybe 60feet is a good recommended range. 

Message 4 of 6
BmMdlk
Tutor

Changing the address pool range seemed to fix things- at least for now, Thanks for that suggestion, I never would have thought of it!

I appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7