Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No connection with my router

ConnectedNL
Aspirant

No connection with my router

Just purchased this set and downloaded the app. Went through the set up on the app but when it wanted to connect to my router, it says its ROUTER NOT FOUND.

But going to my Wifi on my phone, the ORBI WiFi is connected. Now I can't seem to finish the set up, although it seems to work.

Can this be because I have a 5 G T-Mobile device for my internet and not a 'normal' router?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the Orbi system needs a cable or DSL or ONT type of modem device that connects with an ISP service. Then the Orbi Router base connects with a LAN cable RJ45 to the modem device and then gets it's connection there. 

Message 2 of 9
ConnectedNL
Aspirant

So it's not possible to use the Orbit with a 5G wireless device? Or is there a workaround? 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

No. The Orbi needs a Wired LAN cable connection with a ISP modem that has a RJ45 LAN port. 

Message 4 of 9
DickDuke
Apprentice

Your Orbi may in fact work just fine with your cellular 5G modem. 

If the 5G modem has an Ethernet port,and can provide a router with a standard IP address, it should be no different than any other setup. The important consideration is what the Orbi “sees”. If it sees a cellular type signal, it won’t work at all (because it actually sees no signal at all). But if it sees just a regular DHCP server or Internet access point, it shouldn’t care what the modem itself “sees” on the other end.

Cell based internet modems are commonplace in many rural areas.

Assuming that the ISP modem has an RJ45 port to connect to the Orbi, you’ll probably need to either:

- Turn off DHCP & Routing in the modem by putting it into bridge mode, or;

- Put the Orbi into Access Point mode, so that it doesn’t serve out IP addresses too.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

@ConnectedNL wrote:

Just purchased this set and downloaded the app. Went through the set up on the app but when it wanted to connect to my router, it says its ROUTER NOT FOUND.

But going to my Wifi on my phone, the ORBI WiFi is connected. Now I can't seem to finish the set up, although it seems to work.

Can this be because I have a 5 G T-Mobile device for my internet and not a 'normal' router?

Message 6 of 9
ConnectedNL
Aspirant

Thank you. Correct, we live in a rural area so that's why we have a 5G device (or cell based internet modem, als you call it). 

I have to look in on what you write, to me acacadabra 🙂 . It has a IP address, that's what it says when I look into the info of the connection. I also get internet but as soon as I try to open a new page, it says it can't open it because it's an unsafe connection or page....

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you attempt to continue to navigate to this web page? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

@ConnectedNL wrote:

Thank you. Correct, we live in a rural area so that's why we have a 5G device (or cell based internet modem, als you call it). 

I have to look in on what you write, to me acacadabra 🙂 . It has a IP address, that's what it says when I look into the info of the connection. I also get internet but as soon as I try to open a new page, it says it can't open it because it's an unsafe connection or page....

Message 8 of 9
DickDuke
Apprentice

That’s actually good news! It means the connection is working.

Underneath the Unsafe Connection warnings there will be an option to continue to the page anyway. There will be some scary warnings like “not recommended”.

Ignore the warnings and continue anyway. You’ll be home free after that!

BTW, do NOT get in the habit of ignoring these warnings for external websites. It’s safe to ignore it now because you know exactly where this site is... it’s in your own house.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7