Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No easy way to turn off router and satelitte wifi

mrputtputt
Tutor

No easy way to turn off router and satelitte wifi

Model - RBR50

Firmware - V2.1.4.10

App version - 2.1.2.313 (for mobile), else using IP# thru Windows 10 laptop

OS - windows 10 PC

How to I turn off the router's wifi and the satellite's wifi and only use ethernet hardwire? I already updated the firmwares for both router and satellite. Orbi GUI shows the the satellite is already connected via ethernet backhaul. 

Searching thru community posts, it seems like I'd have to telnet in to do it? No easy way via GUI? 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: No easy way to turn off router and satelitte wifi

You can disable the wireless radios on the router under Advanced/Advanced Settings/Wireless. 

Uncheck Enable SSID Broadcast. NOt sure if the Satellite can be done the same way. The satellite may have wifi always on. 

Message 2 of 5
mrputtputt
Tutor

disabling SSID brodcast does not turn off WIFI. That just stops the SSID from showing up in lists if you're trying to find a WIFI. I came from an Asus router, and disabled SSID. But my wifi devices still connect because it's already established. SSID broadcast just means "hey, I'm here for you to connect." 

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

You can't turn off WIFi via the GUI.  There is a post on here describing how to temporarily disable a client radio via telnet, but I don't think the setting will persist after a reboot.

If you don't want to use Wifi, then I don't think you need an Orbi.  Just buy a gigabit switch to replace the satellite and add a cheap router.

Message 4 of 5
mrputtputt
Tutor

that is true. but it was already purchased to get a new router and replace a really old one. 

In hindsight, should've just bought a nighthawk. But part on sale and part paid with gift cards. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7