Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No internet connection - not detecting ethernet cable.

TeacherD
Follower

No internet connection - not detecting ethernet cable.

I hope I am posting this in the right spot.

I purchased the Orbi RBR20 on August 29, 2019, from Amazon.   I set up the router without any  problems and had great Wi-Fi for about two weeks until it suddenly stopped working.  I initially  thought my internet service was experiencing an outage, but my provider said there were no  outages in my area and also said my modem was online and receiving the internet.  I reset the   modem several times and did a 30-30-30 reset of the router. When I try to connect the Orb after the reset, I get a  message telling me to plug in the ethernet cable, which is already plugged into the router and modem.  The router does have a good signal and my devices connect to it, but there is no internet available on any of my devices (Macbook, ipad, phone, and streaaming stick). 

I have tried multiple ethernet cables.

I am frustrated.  Any suggestions or ideas on a fix.  Thanks

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: No internet connection - not detecting ethernet cable.

It's less than 90 days old, so you are "one of the few" who has telephone support from Netgear.  On the page where you registered the Orbi, there is a link to getting support which has the telephone number.

During all this cable changing, is the cable still connected to the WAN (yellow) port on the Orbi?

(People used to be outraged when I asked, "Is the computer plugged in?"  Every once in a while, they would crawl under the desk and find it was not.  Now, I ask even the dumbest questions.)

You mentioned a 30-30-30 reset of the Orbi.  That involved sticking a paperclip into the tiny "reset" hole on the back next to the power plug?

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@TeacherD wrote:

I hope I am posting this in the right spot.

I purchased the Orbi RBR20 on August 29, 2019, from Amazon.   I set up the router without any  problems and had great Wi-Fi for about two weeks until it suddenly stopped working.  I initially  thought my internet service was experiencing an outage, but my provider said there were no  outages in my area and also said my modem was online and receiving the internet.  I reset the   modem several times and did a 30-30-30 reset of the router. When I try to connect the Orb after the reset, I get a  message telling me to plug in the ethernet cable, which is already plugged into the router and modem.  The router does have a good signal and my devices connect to it, but there is no internet available on any of my devices (Macbook, ipad, phone, and streaaming stick). 

I have tried multiple ethernet cables.

I am frustrated.  Any suggestions or ideas on a fix.  Thanks

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@TeacherD wrote:

I purchased the Orbi RBR20 on August 29, 2019, from Amazon.

And that's yet another way you are one of the "lucky ones."  Amazon allows returns within 30 days.  You can send it back and get a new one.

What happened when you called the support number? (afer registering the Orbi)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7