Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No internet

Lavolpe
Aspirant

No internet

Hi,

I recently purchased an orbi system version AC2200 (RBK40) and I have set everything up physically but it road blocks me when it tries to conncec to the internet saying it has no internet connection. I have a Technicolor TC8715D Router/Modem that does give me access to the internet. Enclosed is a file with my ipconfig information. THank you in advance.

Message 1 of 9
vcdx71
Star

If you're plugging a router into a router that's not going to work. You'll either need to set your ISP router in pass-through mode or configure the ORBI system in AP mode which disables the router.

Message 2 of 9
Lavolpe
Aspirant

Would Bridge mode be the same as pass through mode. Also how may I set it up on AP mode?

Message 3 of 9
vcdx71
Star

Yes Bridge Mode is the same. Set that and you'll be good.

If you want to keep the ISP router/modem as the router and only use ORBI as access points login to orbilogin.com go to advanced, advanced setup, router / ap mode and choose ap mode.

Message 4 of 9
Lavolpe
Aspirant

I tried using the Bridge mode and it still did nothing, I have been at this since last night more help would be greately appreciated. Also I am no netowrking expert so please explain in detail what steps I may take. Again thank you in advance

Message 5 of 9
jerryschwartz
Apprentice

Let's start with something simple. If you disconnect the Orbis and go back to the way things were, does that work? If it does, then you certainly don't have your modem/router in bridge mode.

Similarly, if you can talk to the user interface on your modem/router, then it almost certainly isn't in bridge mode. Putting a device into bridge mode switches its brains off and turns it into a straight pipe.

Check that out and report back.

Message 6 of 9
Lavolpe
Aspirant

When I turn on Bridge mode on it resets and I have to wait a few minutes for it to turn back on, I can still access the admin page through 192.168.0.1. Would I need to mess with DHCP? I can also still use my other devices conmnected to the old modem/router.

Message 7 of 9
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Lavolpe wrote:

When I turn on Bridge mode on it resets and I have to wait a few minutes for it to turn back on, I can still access the admin page through 192.168.0.1. Would I need to mess with DHCP? I can also still use my other devices conmnected to the old modem/router.

Not sure what the above means totally, but if you put your cable modem/router (gateway) into bridge mode and you can still use multiple devices connected to it, then that's not real bridge mode. You might also try turning off dhcp on your cable gateway in addition to putting it into that "pseudo-bridge" mode, and also turn off any other services that it is supplying, like wireless, etc. Then you should be able to have your Orbi in router mode and it will do dhcp, dns, wireless, etc.

As an alternative to the above, you can use your cable gateway in router mode, but turn off wireless on it. Then you would switch your Orbi to AP mode (Access Point), and it will only provide wireless. I favor this one, myself, since I got the Orbi for its wireless, and have an R7800 that I use for routing functionality (with the wireless radios turned off, of course).

Message 8 of 9
jerryschwartz
Apprentice

I agree. That doesn't sound like bridge mode to me. When a device is set to router mode, it does all kinds of clever tricks so that all of your local devices can share a single connection to the outside world. When it is in bridge mode, it is as dumb as a box of rocks.

My gateway, supplied by Comcast, has to be reset to its factory settings to get it back from bridge mode.

I'm puzzled. It's possible that your ISP has disabled bridge mode. I would ask them.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 142 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7