Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No-ip Dynamic DNS update not working with some hosts.

ElMagoFrank
Aspirant

No-ip Dynamic DNS update not working with some hosts.

I just purchased the Orbi system and have tried setting up the Dynamic DNS feature with my no-ip.com account, using firmware 1.10.1.2.

When I try either of the 2 domains in my no-ip.com account as the hostname, enter my email and password, apply, and then check the status of the update, I receive an error to the tune of:
"Update failed. Host name is not correct".

Then I tried adding a new free host to my no-ip.com account, configured it to update in the router settings, and it works fine.

I suspect that perhaps there is something wrong with the update when the hostname is configued as a single top level domain, such as the first 2 I tried, vs when it is configured as a subdomain. So for instance when I set the host as these (fictional) hosts in my account, it fails with the error.

domain1.com

somedomain2.com

When I set the host as this type of (fictional) host in my account, it updates OK

domain1.ddns.net

Anyone else experience issues getting a no-ip enhanced domain to update in their router?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After working with No-ip to troubleshoot the issue, they had me try adding "-." to the begining of the url. This worked. For example, in my case, I am using a delegated subdomain so the string is "-.vpn.mydomain.com". Hopefully this will work for you. Aparently this is an issue in the version of No-ip's Linux dynamic update client that Netgear used. It woulds like something that No-ip has to fix and then Netgear has to incorporate in their software. No ETA is available for a fix but at least there is this workaround.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
criddar
Initiate

Yep, experienced the same thing. DDNS didn't work with my hostname that was set up in No-IP.com, but when I use the ddns.net value, it works just fine. Stupid...

Message 2 of 7
OrbiMan
Luminary

For once I don't think this is netgear fault. I run a remote access for a business, then one day everything stop working. It drove me crazy for a while but it turn out even if the server has been updating it ip address, noip for some reason it is not.

As it turns out all you have to do is run this URL before attempting the VPN connection to make sure that the address is Up to date

http://username:password@dynupdate.no-ip.com/nic/update?hostname=mytest.testdomain.com
Message 3 of 7
ElMagoFrank
Aspirant

Thanks, but I'm not talking about setting up a VPN, just getting my router to update no-ip.com with the IP address using the Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Dynamic DNS feature. Calling it in the browser using the URL you provided (and replacing my info) does indeed update the IP in my no-ip account, but I need the router to do it and not complain that the "host name is not correct" when using a top-level domain (like a single dot-com name).

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same problem here using the enhanced service and Orbi v1.10.1.2. Been working with no-ip and their logs don't indicate that the router actually tries to update their server. Interestingly, if I enter the wrong password or username, it does give a login error. It must be connecting but then not doing the update.
Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After working with No-ip to troubleshoot the issue, they had me try adding "-." to the begining of the url. This worked. For example, in my case, I am using a delegated subdomain so the string is "-.vpn.mydomain.com". Hopefully this will work for you. Aparently this is an issue in the version of No-ip's Linux dynamic update client that Netgear used. It woulds like something that No-ip has to fix and then Netgear has to incorporate in their software. No ETA is available for a fix but at least there is this workaround.

Message 6 of 7
ElMagoFrank
Aspirant

Thanks davinbaker, adding the "-." before my domain worked out for me. I've accepted it as the solution, although it is just a workaround in the meantime until no-ip/netgear get it working properly.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7