Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No more wifi schedule in firmware 1.12.0.18

poekie68
Initiate

No more wifi schedule in firmware 1.12.0.18

Hi all,

Since the firmware update to 1.12.0.18 the possibility to schedule the wifi signal to turn off is not more available.

Previously this could be found in Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings. Now not longer available. See screenshot below.

How can I access these settings and schedule the wifi to turn off? I like to have the wifi turned off at night.

Regards,

Willem

Schermafbeelding 2017-07-15 om 11.42.43.png

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 62
JMU1998
Luminary

Maybe it is related to the fact we are unable to disable the radios we have no need or use for or to reduce congestion interference anymore which is silly.

Message 2 of 62
st_shaw
Master

@JMU1998 wrote:

Maybe it is related to the fact we are unable to disable the radios we have no need or use for or to reduce congestion interference anymore which is silly.

What makes you think the 2.4 GHz radio isn't needed?

Orbi has an always-on hidden backhaul on 2.4 GHz.  The satellite connects to this backhaul as a client of the router. This backhaul uses the same radio and wifi channel as the normal 2.4 GHz radio used by clients. If you disable this radio, you disable the 2.4 GHz backhaul.

Since Netgear removed the ability to adjust this radio in the new update, it's seems that Netgear must be using this channel to maintain stable connections between the router and satellites. So maybe you don't need it, but the system does.

If you want the ability to completely control the channels and turn off the bands "you" don't need, then you'll need to buy something like the Unifi wired APs.  You'll get wired backhaul too.

Message 3 of 62
JMU1998
Luminary

@st_shaw yes I am seriously considering the unifi AP's it is a shame because I have no legacy devices and when I had 2.4GHz turned off I had no issues with speed and NO severe range problems for my devices in a 3200 Sq ft home on only 5GHz radio and with 12 wireless devices.

Message 4 of 62
st_shaw
Master

@JMU1998 wrote:

@st_shaw yes I am seriously considering the unifi AP's it is a shame because I have no legacy devices and when I had 2.4GHz turned off I had no issues with speed and NO severe range problems for my devices in a 3200 Sq ft home on only 5GHz radio and with 12 wireless devices.

The inability to adjust the channels and power is something I dislike about Orbi. It's a side effect of the design.  However, Orbi has always worked well for me and continues to do so through all the updates.

Having the 2.4G is actually valuable for me.  It's not just there for legacy devices.  It's also there to provide a connection at longer distances than 5G can support.  My house is in the middle of a very large lot, and I can get deent WiFi 500 feet away from the house.  The 5G band would never travel that far.

On the other hand, if I had neighbors close by, I'd be blasting them and have no way to turn down the power.  That's not good.

Message 5 of 62
JMU1998
Luminary

@st_shaw I agree, but the option to atleast adjust power should be available if we can't turn it off, my neighborhood is saturated with interference and there's a neighborhood wide effort where everyone is being requested to lower power on their radio if they have the ability and situation allows, I had turned off 2.4GHz with zero impaction me, regardless we should have an option not forced everyone needs and environment are different now I have a 2.4GHz radio on and NO SSID assigned just blasting interference to the congestion around me and I can't do anything about it anymore. I am really trying to like the Orbi have had it when it was released patiently endured growing pains but now I may have to ditch it as I refuse to accept the fact we can't adjust radio we have no need for and selfishlessly blast it.

Message 6 of 62

First off how did you idiots get so off topic. The topic is that they changed the Wi-Fi schedule setting. My comment on this is when I called tech support knowing in India had a clue that they changed it and told me there was something wrong with my update and tried to have me reset the router.
Message 7 of 62
Supertramp11
Luminary

Re: No more wifi schedule in firmware 1.12.0.18 (not in V2.0.0.74 either)

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue with the latest firmware (V2.0.0.74). Did you manage to get the WIFI schedule back under the Advanced Wireless Settings? For me, they disappeared 😞

BTW: Resetting the router to factory settings did not fix this.

Message 8 of 62

They're actually less than helpful. The technical support makes you reset your router settings Wipe Out the entire thing and in the end you have the same exact problem because apparently nobody told technical support that they just got rid of the setting.
Message 9 of 62
Supertramp11
Luminary

That's not good! I can understand that the radios are necessary to keep a connection between the router and the satellite(s). In my family, however, we don't access the network during the night, i.e. I would like to turn them off.

If NETGEAR is reading this thread: please let us know what your plans are bearing in mind that the latest user guide still covers this - for me important - feature.

Message 10 of 62
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have escalated that this function is not working properly and our engineers are working on this  I will let you know If I hear any updates on the issue.

DarrenM

Message 11 of 62
Supertramp11
Luminary

Thanks Darren. Much appreciated!!

Message 12 of 62
Colmanlee
Guide

Really hope this function will be available again as soon as possible!!!

Message 13 of 62
Marco_BE
Tutor

Hi,
Same for RBK40...
I wish we can have a committed date of this bug fix for a feature regression introduced by a netgear fw update...
I was for me a decision criteria vs Google WiFi. Better netgear fixes it fast ... thanks to chase for the fix.
Message 14 of 62
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Here is the current way to block the wireless on a schedule

1. Log into Orbi UI
  2. Go to Advanced -Security - Schedule
  3. Setup the time frame and days  on which they want to block internet access. See example below:

orbi 1.jpg

1. Click Apply.
  2. Once schedule has been set go to Advanced - Security- Block Services
  3. Under Service Table section click on the Add button.
  4. On the Block Services Setup page use the setup below. If you want to block all but 1 IP you can configure the IP Address Range option and specify the entire IP range you want to block just make sure your IP is not part of that range if you do not want that specific IP blocked.

orbi 2.jpg

1. Click Add, you will be taken back to Block Services page.
  2. On Block Services page select Per Schedule option under the Services Blocking section
  3. Click Apply.
  4. You internet access should now be blocked based on the schedule you set.
Message 15 of 62
Supertramp11
Luminary

Hi Darren,

I don't want to schedule the blocking of internet access, I want to schedule the switching on/off of the wireless radio. This is what this thread is about.

The menu (see attached) to do this completely disappeared.

Thanks for taking this further to your engineers.

Message 16 of 62
Marco_BE
Tutor

Dear Darren,

To be crystal clear.
Please have a look to Orbi User Manual under Chapter 6 (Specify Network Settings). "Set up a Wifi Schedule"...  P77...

This is what we are all talking about and has been removed with the latest FW update. This is the RF signal itself which is scheduled. this function shall work in both router and AP mode.

Thanks to investigate further and provide on this forum with committed date to reintegrate this mandatory basic feature into your product.

BTW, i tried to open a ticket under your official support channel (during the 90 days "free" support) but it seems your CRM system is not working for this product category... (very strange...).

Thank your beforehand for your answer.
Message 17 of 62
goldbondx
Apprentice

Keeping this thread alive. I want the feature to be able to schedule disabling wifi. I have multiple reasons for doing this including but not limited to questions about sleep pattern interference. While unproven, nothing wrong with having "options".

Message 18 of 62

These guys are unbelievable....It's like they think by ignoring your question and answering something else we are going to be satisfied with the wrong answer to our questions....

Message 19 of 62
rancho
Initiate

Hi,

this is a very important feature for me too. Could we pls have an update from Netgear/Darren about a possible ETA for the fix ?

Message 20 of 62
Supertramp11
Luminary

Same for me.

If this feature does not make it back in the next FW release, I will have to return my RBK50 with the reason that it does not work as advertised.

Hope this will not be necessary.

Message 21 of 62
tsaichi
Initiate

Hi Darren,

Just got mine yesterday updated firmware to V2.0.0.74.

Same problem here no wifi schedule.  Can you please inform any progresses on new firmware which could add this feature back?

Thank you,

Message 22 of 62
Supertramp11
Luminary

Through Netgear's german support site I learned that the return of this functionality is not planned by their technical staff.

Unbelievable in times where we like to reduce electrosmog and energy consumption. Users should have the choice to configure this setting as desired. Netgear only leaves us the choice to return the device and look elsewhere. Disappointing, especially in a context where I am quite pleased with this set.

Message 23 of 62
kemsei
Aspirant

So that's it? We can just forget about this feature and nobody at Netgear will even consider providing a proper answer?

This is the last time I buy something Netgear, seriously.

Message 24 of 62
Perts
Tutor

Hi Darren

Wifi Scheduling is an essential function that should be urgently reinstated.  Many of your customers want to be able to "turn off" the wifi signal only for a scheduled period of time.  Currently my only option is to shut down all Orbi devices manually (overnight) then start them up in the morning.  I would like to keep fixed wire running.  The Orbi products are premium products that customers have invested good money into and some of them, including myself, have expected this function to be active.  I'd apprecaite it if you could push again for this function to be reissued as a priority.

Note: This has nothing to do with Block Services setup.

Message 25 of 62
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7