Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No orbi network during setup

jpinet
Initiate

No orbi network during setup

Existing modem/router is a Ubee device from Spectrum (nee TWC).  Setup up router and satellite following the very basic quick start guide.  No Orbi wifi network ever showed up.  Among the various options tried at this point:

• Tried switching among the 4 ethernet ports on the Ubee.
  • Restarted Ubee and Orbi multiple times.
  • Tried connecting directly to Orbi using an ethernet cable to my laptop but again no connection or recognition that I plugged anything in.
  • Plugged ethernet directly into Ubee and could see the Orbi on the ethernet port.
  • Reset Orbi.
  • Spent an hour plus reading every discussion thread and saw nothing related to there not being a wifi signal out of Orbi or connecting to Orbi physically with an ethernet cable but not seeing anything.

I stopped working with the satellite midway through the process assuming that satellite connection didn't matter if router is not doing anything.  If I can't connect to router, I can't do a firmware upgrade, change any settings, etc.

Any ideas?  The instructions and support information is very basic without any detail about or options for a situation like this.  I will be returning this shortly.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
st_shaw
Master

Re: No orbi network during setup

I believe you should see the default Orbi wifi network whether it's connected to anything or not.  First, make sure it's not something silly, like your laptop WiFi is turned off.

To establish your hardware is not broken, you should be able to log into the Orbi using a wire and see the setup screens.

--Disconnect everything and reset the Orbi router to start from beginning. You need to press and hold the reset button for a long time, until the light turns amber.  See below.

--Set your laptop Ethernet port to obtain an IP address using DHCP.

--Wire your laptop to one of the three Ethernet ports on the Orbi router.  Do not connect to the Internet port!

--Open a web browser on the laptop and enter the address http://192.168.1.1

You should see the Orbi login.

To reset the router...

I. Reset via reset button on your Orbi router/satellite.

1. Make sure router/satellite units are powered on. Locate the tiny reset pin hole on the back of the unit.
  2. Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the reset pin hole until the power LED blinks amber.
  3. Wait for a minute and make sure that the power is solid green. If not, please press the power on/off twice until the power illuminates solid green.

A full manual is available here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

Message 2 of 3
jpinet
Initiate

Re: No orbi network during setup

Was able to connect via ethernet eventually then firmware update and it it decided to start showing its wifi.  Not sure why it should fail with old firmware. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7