Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No upload on sattelite

Geniet
Guide

No upload on sattelite

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased an orbi wifi to extend the wifi in my house . I have installed it and it seems to be working fine with the coverage . I have tested the internet speed with speedtest by Ookla and when i am connected to the orbi router i have a good download and upload speed but when i am connected to the sattelite i still have a good download speed but no upload speed at all . Can anyone help me with this problem ?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 36
randomousity
Luminary

Re: No upload on sattelite

What troubleshooting steps have you taken?

Message 2 of 36
Geniet
Guide

I have tried to make a factory reset , other than that i have only tried to run a speedtest with a cable from the sattelite to see if it was better. It was the same problem , I dont really know what to do about it...
Message 3 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try the following, while the satellite is connected, use a wired PC connected to the satellite. Manually re-load v210 FW on to the satellite. After it's loaded. Remove it from the Orbi Router, then do a factory reset on the satellite. Using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then re-add it to the Orbi router. If the upload still doesn't do anything, You might try a factory reset on the base router as well. If even after this the satellite doesn't operate correctly, I would contact NG support and ask about an RMA. 

@Geniet wrote:

Hi everyone.

I have recently purchased an orbi wifi to extend the wifi in my house . I have installed it and it seems to be working fine with the coverage . I have tested the internet speed with speedtest by Ookla and when i am connected to the orbi router i have a good download and upload speed but when i am connected to the sattelite i still have a good download speed but no upload speed at all . Can anyone help me with this problem ?

Message 4 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@Geniet wrote:
I have tried to make a factory reset , other than that i have only tried to run a speedtest with a cable from the sattelite to see if it was better. It was the same problem , I dont really know what to do about it...

This is apparently an issue in your backhaul.

1. For testing purposes, please get the satellite and router closer to each other and see if that makes an improvement. If it does then this shows that the distance is too long or you have much disturbance on the radio channel

2. You can also test to have a cable between router and satellite to confirm if the issue is in the satellite/router or if it's just the wireless backhaul.

Message 5 of 36
Chuck_M
Mentor

I have my 2 x RBS50's hard wired to my RBR50 since they are so far apart... they could communicate, but I presume that since the distance is so far, it would be a significantly degraded rate due to weak signals.

I think the idea of hard wiring temporarily your router and satellite together is a great idea and seeing what the result of that speed test is.  

Make sure you fully reboot everything after setting up for the test to ensure the system is fully set up for wired backhaul.

Message 6 of 36
Geniet
Guide

When I connected the router and the satellite the satellite was blue on the top so the connection should be ok . But because it is easy to try it I will try to move them closer together tomorrow . Thanks
Message 7 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 36
Geniet
Guide

Today I tried to move the satellite closer to the router. The distance was only about 5 meters in a straight line without anything blocking the way , it was the same result full speed on download (136 Mbit) and nothing on upload ( 0.08 Mbit ) as before . I then moved it back and connected them with a wire , that works fine . Download 136 Mbit and upload 11.5 . I have not tried to reload the firmware yet , first I need to do some research on how to do it because I haven't tried that before . I wonder if it could be the antenna inside the satellite that is broken ? Thanks for your support so far 👍
Message 9 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

While it's connected, you can either use the ruoters web page to send the FW file or directly connect a wired PC to the satellite and log into it's IP adress and send the FW there. Give this a try. Factory reset the satellite and set it up from scratch. Remove the satellite from the routers web page as well to be sure then re-add it. 

If the satellite doesn't recover, I would make contact with NG support and get the satellite replaced.

@Blanca_O

@Geniet wrote:
Today I tried to move the satellite closer to the router. The distance was only about 5 meters in a straight line without anything blocking the way , it was the same result full speed on download (136 Mbit) and nothing on upload ( 0.08 Mbit ) as before . I then moved it back and connected them with a wire , that works fine . Download 136 Mbit and upload 11.5 . I have not tried to reload the firmware yet , first I need to do some research on how to do it because I haven't tried that before . I wonder if it could be the antenna inside the satellite that is broken ? Thanks for your support so far 👍

Message 10 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@Geniet wrote:

...... I have tested the internet speed with speedtest by Ookla and when i am connected to the orbi router i have a good download and upload speed but when i am connected to the sattelite i still have a good download speed but no upload speed at all . ......

One question, do you see the upload speed issue similarly on wireless as well as wired devices connected to the satellite?

Message 11 of 36
Geniet
Guide

Now I have tried to reload the firmware on the satellite and the router . When I updated the satellite there was no improvement at all but when I updated the router I made 2 good tests before it went bad again , I think that something is wrong with either the satellite or the router. I have tried to make a speed test with the orbi app and that shows full speed in upload and download but as I understand it , it only measures the speed from the router to the internet and not from the device ( phone ) to the internet... Am I wrong about that ?
Message 12 of 36
Geniet
Guide

Actually I have not tried a wired speed test from the satellite yet , I will try that later ..
Message 13 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@Geniet wrote:
Actually I have not tried a wired speed test from the satellite yet , I will try that later ..

Please check it, there are two possible issues:

1. If wired devices also have the same issue then we will be sure that the issue is in the wireless backhaul. For this please make a wifi scan and see which channel is being used for the wireless backhaul. We can try to change that channel to another channel and test.

2. If wired devices do not have an issue, then it's only the fronthaul in the satellite that has issues. To try to fix let's try to change the radio channels that you are currently using. Please check in >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Wireless Setup which channels are set in your Orbi now.

Message 14 of 36
Geniet
Guide

I have tried to make a test with the pc wired to the satellite , that was the same result , no download speed . I then tried to change the channel on the orbilogin page but that did not work so the problem still remains... Any more ideas or can we confirm that something is wrong with the satellite ? Can someone tell me if I understand correctly if I say that the speed test in the orbi app only test the speed from the router to the internet and not from the device (phone or pc) to the internet ?
Message 15 of 36
Chuck_M
Mentor

The built in speed test only tests the speed from the Router to the WAN.  Other speed test apps that run off of the desktop would be useful for testing LAN to WAN segments which include the router.

Message 16 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@Geniet wrote:
I have tried to make a test with the pc wired to the satellite , that was the same result , no download speed . I then tried to change the channel on the orbilogin page but that did not work so the problem still remains... Any more ideas or can we confirm that something is wrong with the satellite ? Can someone tell me if I understand correctly if I say that the speed test in the orbi app only test the speed from the router to the internet and not from the device (phone or pc) to the internet ?

Can you please make a wifi scan and see which wifi channel is being used as backhaul network. Use any wifi scanning software. If you have a Macbook it has a built in wifi scanner. The scanner should show you a hidden network with no SSID coming from the router's MAC address.

Message 17 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

I would begin to make contact with NG support and start a RMA process while your fiddling with the satellite. 

Just seems that either way, the satellite is not working correctly. 

I would file a ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Blanca_O

@Geniet wrote:

Message 18 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@Geniet How are things going for you? Have you tried any of the latest suggestions?

Message 19 of 36
Geniet
Guide

Hi .
Sorry , I've been a bit busy lately... I've tried to find the backhaul channels with an app called WiFianalyzer . I am just not sure which channel is the backhaul channel ...
Message 20 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@Geniet wrote:
Hi .
Sorry , I've been a bit busy lately... I've tried to find the backhaul channels with an app called WiFianalyzer . I am just not sure which channel is the backhaul channel ...

The backhaul network is a network that you see with no SSID, the MAC address for this network is similar to the MAC address associated with your main network that has your SSID but only the last 4 characters in the MAC address different.

Message 21 of 36
ekhalil
Master

Also the backhaul network is usually using channel 108 or higher.

Message 22 of 36
Geniet
Guide

I just checked, it looks like the backhaul is running on channel 108...
Message 23 of 36
ekhalil
Master

@Geniet wrote:
I just checked, it looks like the backhaul is running on channel 108...

As we are now sure that the issue is in the backhaul, it can be an issue in the transmitter of the backhaul (Router), the receiver (Satellite) or the link itself.

For the link, it can be that you have high interference on channel 108.

Let's try to change the channel of the backhaul link and see if this will help. Please follow the following steps:

1. Enable telnet on the router (from the orbilogin/debug.htm page of the web interface)
  2. telnet to router for a computer telnet 192.168.1.1 (or use your router's IP address)
  3. After loggin in, run the following comands on the command line:
    1. root@RBR50:/# config get wla_2nd_hidden_channel

2. root@RBR50:/# config set wla_2nd_hidden_channel=116

3. root@RBR50:/# config commit

4. root@RBR50:/# reboot

This will change the backhaul channel to 116, you can also try other channels like 124, 132, 140, .....

Message 24 of 36
Geniet
Guide

Ok , I will try that later . For what I can see it seems to be a good signal on the backhaul channel...but I am not sure so here is a screenshot
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7