Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Non Orbi outdoor access point using wired bachaul

culver-king
Aspirant

Non Orbi outdoor access point using wired bachaul

Question is fairly simple. I have a RBR50 serving as my main infrastructure. I have one wired orbi satellite and wanted to add an outdoor access point, though not specifically the orbi model. I've got POE capability via switch and wanted to wire the backhaul the network outside. Obviously I can just make an "outdoor only" network, but a single network is the goal.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Non Orbi outdoor access point using wired bachaul

@culver-king wrote:
Question is fairly simple. I have a RBR50 serving as my main infrastructure. I have one wired orbi satellite and wanted to add an outdoor access point, though not specifically the orbi model. I've got POE capability via switch and wanted to wire the backhaul the network outside. Obviously I can just make an "outdoor only" network, but a single network is the goal.

The goal is too ambitious.

• Any WiFi access point, from any vendor, can be wired to the Orbi router or satellite.  There are indeed access points that can be powered using PoE.  And, yes, this will result in an "outdoor" WiFi network that is separate from the Orbi "mesh".  It could have the same SSID/password as the Orbi network, but devices will not roam between them as they do with the Orbi.
  • Only an Orbi satellite will expand the Orbi "mesh".

An alternate solution would be to place an Orbi satellite, such as the RBS40V ($99 on Amazon when I bought mine) "almost outside".  i.e. in a window or right against an outside wall. Or, place it in a weather resistant enclosure.

Message 2 of 4
culver-king
Aspirant

Thanks mate, my 1 satellite is sort of "outside-ish" in the farthest room opposite the main router. I get an OK connection, but wanted to beef it up for minimal stutter video streaming. I wonder if I set up an RBW30 that I plug in as needed on the patio to blanket the yard? It would be about 25-30 feet from my satellite. Or, I could drop a new 110v outlet just on the other side of the wall.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@culver-king wrote:

Thanks mate, my 1 satellite is sort of "outside-ish" in the farthest room opposite the main router. I get an OK connection, but wanted to beef it up for minimal stutter video streaming. I wonder if I set up an RBW30 that I plug in as needed on the patio to blanket the yard? It would be about 25-30 feet from my satellite. Or, I could drop a new 110v outlet just on the other side of the wall.

That might work.  I (personally) lack the discipline to remember to bring the RBW30 back indoors when going back inside.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7