Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not Connecting to Wirless

Yonkin2018
Aspirant

Not Connecting to Wirless

We bought an Orbi system for Christmas, I have everything plugged in and turned on, but, when it goes to find an internet connection, it says there is none. I put my old wireless back in, and bam, up and running. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this problem????
Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Re: Not Connecting to Wirless

What ISP modem/Router are you using (the box that is connected directly to your source of internet)? Is the cable coming from that ISP modem plugged in into the WAN port (the yellow port) in the back of the Orbi Router?

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Yonkin2018 wrote:
We bought an Orbi system for Christmas, I have everything plugged in and turned on, but, when it goes to find an internet connection, it says there is none. I put my old wireless back in, and bam, up and running. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this problem????

Message 3 of 10
Yonkin2018
Aspirant

My home is about 3500 sq ft. But, we are using only about 2500 for the internet usage. I had the satalites in 2 different rooms, but, then brought them right by the router in hopes it would work correctly. I tried with satalites unplugged, and how instructions have stated. I called up Netgear, they claim there are too many errors on my modem, and can be fixed at a low cost of 99.99, told them no, not with Christmas just here, how can one afford that after spending 300 on this wifi! I kept trying and retrying, always coming with no internet connection for Orbi. I'm stuck still. I'm going to make sure there are no updates needed on anything I guess, read that someplace, not sure if itll help or not. I will try what you suggested. Hubs said he read someplace it took a person quite a few tries before successfully doing it. My patience are worn thin with this thing, youd think you spend that much money on something, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to hook it up, but, maybe my knowledge isn't all too good, maybe I do need a rocket scientist! If you have any other suggestions, I'll take any at this point. I'm going to keep trying, still nothing g this weekend, I'm returning it and just going to by a wifi extender, plug in and be done!
Message 4 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@Yonkin2018 wrote:
My home is about 3500 sq ft. But, we are using only about 2500 for the internet usage. I had the satalites in 2 different rooms, but, then brought them right by the router in hopes it would work correctly. I tried with satalites unplugged, and how instructions have stated. I called up Netgear, they claim there are too many errors on my modem, and can be fixed at a low cost of 99.99, told them no, not with Christmas just here, how can one afford that after spending 300 on this wifi! I kept trying and retrying, always coming with no internet connection for Orbi. I'm stuck still. I'm going to make sure there are no updates needed on anything I guess, read that someplace, not sure if itll help or not. I will try what you suggested. Hubs said he read someplace it took a person quite a few tries before successfully doing it. My patience are worn thin with this thing, youd think you spend that much money on something, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to hook it up, but, maybe my knowledge isn't all too good, maybe I do need a rocket scientist! If you have any other suggestions, I'll take any at this point. I'm going to keep trying, still nothing g this weekend, I'm returning it and just going to by a wifi extender, plug in and be done!

To set up a mesh system doesn’t need rocket science but you need to know that you can’t have two routers in your network without special settings. 

Please answer this question, I think the problem is there: “What ISP modem/Router are you using (the box that is connected directly to your source of internet)? Is the cable coming from that ISP modem plugged in into the WAN port (the yellow port) in the back of the Orbi Router?”

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@Yonkin2018 wrote:

Message 6 of 10
Yonkin2018
Aspirant

I have everything plugged in correctly, even unplugged it all before setting it up. The modem I have right now, which is through the cable company, Charter is, Cisco, DPC3008, which is at least 5 years old. I've moved all satalites into my bedroom where the modem is, figured, maybe they ought to be close during set up.
Message 7 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@Yonkin2018 wrote:
I have everything plugged in correctly, even unplugged it all before setting it up. The modem I have right now, which is through the cable company, Charter is, Cisco, DPC3008, which is at least 5 years old. I've moved all satalites into my bedroom where the modem is, figured, maybe they ought to be close during set up.

Thanks. This is a cable modem and not router, so you can have Orbi in Router mode.

What steps have you followed up to setup Orbi?

In which step do you get "internet connection" issue?

Message 8 of 10
Yonkin2018
Aspirant

I can go all the way where itll check wires or something, then onto the next step of finding wireless internet connection. Itll search for it, but, my phone comes up as no connection found
Message 9 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@Yonkin2018 wrote:
I can go all the way where itll check wires or something, then onto the next step of finding wireless internet connection. Itll search for it, but, my phone comes up as no connection found

I would recommend to do a factory reset and start over from the begining using a wired laptop to the router and logging in to orbilogin.com.

1. Make sure your Orbi device is powered on.
  2. Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the Reset button until the Power LED on your Orbi device blinks amber. Note: If you're resetting a wall plug satellite, the ring LED blinks amber. Your Orbi device is reset.
  3. Wait until the Router upper ring starts flashing
  4. Open a browser and navigate to orbilogin.com
  5. follow the directions from there.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7