Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not able to unblock device on RBR50

3inproverbs
Aspirant

Not able to unblock device on RBR50

I am not able to change the status of my laptop from 'Blocked' to 'Allowed'.

I have updated the firmware to the current version - V2.5.1.16

Tried to change the status from different browsers - IE, Chrome, FF

What else can I try to get my laptop connected?  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Not able to unblock device on RBR50

The control maybe in a bad state. Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Before configuring any access controls, setup IP address reservations for your devices. Save and apply. Then go in and set up access controls. Then see if the block and access works.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try using the Orbi app by chance to see if it will unblock it from a unblocked mobile device? 

Did you set up a IP address reservation for the one device on the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 10
3inproverbs
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you try using the Orbi app by chance to see if it will unblock it from a unblocked mobile device? 

Did you set up a IP address reservation for the one device on the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

The Orbi app does not show my laptop as being blocked - only from the web app it is listed as blocked

I do not have any IP address reservations setup

I have not done a factory reset since upgrading FW this morning.  Is this something that is NEEDED to be completed?  If so, why?  

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The control maybe in a bad state. Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Before configuring any access controls, setup IP address reservations for your devices. Save and apply. Then go in and set up access controls. Then see if the block and access works.

Message 4 of 10
3inproverbs
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I have a total of 36 devices listed on my network.  Will I need to go through each one and reconnect (plan on using the same SSID and password)?  

As for creating IP address reservations, just copy what I currently have available in the list of devices then add them into the reservations list?

I appreciate the assistance on this - I have been pulling my hair out for half the day and want to get back up and operational as quickly as possible.  

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course use same SSID name and PW. You don't have to change anything in that regard. 

IP address reservations have to be added one at a time. You can add all devices or just the ones that your looking to use in access controls. I would start with just 1 to test with first. 

Message 6 of 10
3inproverbs
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Of course use same SSID name and PW. You don't have to change anything in that regard. 

IP address reservations have to be added one at a time. You can add all devices or just the ones that your looking to use in access controls. I would start with just 1 to test with first. 

In keeping the same SSID and password, I shouldn't have to do anything to my connected devices after the reset correct?

As for IP address reservations - what does this do for me?  I have had my Orbi for over a year now and have not had this setup at all.  

What would you estimate the time to complete this?  

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. 

Setting IP address reservations for devices helps maintain IP addressing for some devices. When configured in Access controls, possible that when configured in controls, if the device changes to a different IP address, the control may not work right. 

Message 8 of 10
3inproverbs
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thank you for your assistance.  

I was hesitant to do the factory reset thinking there would be a lot of re-work to be completed.  

I followed the reset instructions, then set up the router using the Orbi app and was back up in operation within 10 minutes.  

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well. Be sure to set a IP address reservation for any devices you want use access controls with. 

Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time when a reset is needed. 

Please mark your thread as solved so other will know. 
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@3inproverbs wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thank you for your assistance.  

I was hesitant to do the factory reset thinking there would be a lot of re-work to be completed.  

I followed the reset instructions, then set up the router using the Orbi app and was back up in operation within 10 minutes.  

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7