Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not connecting with honeywell

Bambam5733
Follower

Not connecting with honeywell

Having trouble connecting to my honeywell thermostat and energizer video door bell. How can I force orbi to connect to these via 2.4???
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Not connecting with honeywell

If you provide the model number of these products, people can look up the specs.  In general:

• Most products that SCREAM OUT "must have 2.4G" are simply stating the obvious, sort of like saying, "Car must have Gasoline."
    If some person had a WiFi system that provided ONLY a 5G signal, then the product cannot connect because the product has only a (cheap) 2.4G radio in it.
  • Most products will simply install, especially cameras.  With cameras, the smartphone setup process usually creates a SmartCode that the camera takes a picture of to set up the WiFi.  The smart code includes the WiFi SSID and password.  I have a whole box of different products that support only 2.4G and were installed using my Sony smartphone while it was connected to the Orbi at 5G.
  • For those rare products that purchased their WiFi integration app from some company that didn't understand what they were doing, there is a very specific "work around":
  •  
  • Go to the Orbi web access (http://orbilogin.net), Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless and "uncheck" the box labelled "Broadcast SSID" for the 5G band and click "Apply".  Every device that is currently connected to the Orbi at 5G will remain connected.
  • Open the smartphone WiFi settings and "Forget" the Orbi WiFi.
  • Re-open the smartphone WiFi settings, search for, and connect to the Orbi.  Because Orbi is not broadcasting an SSID on 5g, the Orbi WiFi access point that the phone chooses will be on 2.4G.
  • Use the app to set up the device.
  • Once the device is working correctly, reverse these steps, i.e.
    * Check "Broadcast SSID" and click "Apply"
    * "Forget" the Orbi WiFi, then search and reconnect.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

If you provide the model number of these products, people can look up the specs.  In general:

• Most products that SCREAM OUT "must have 2.4G" are simply stating the obvious, sort of like saying, "Car must have Gasoline."
    If some person had a WiFi system that provided ONLY a 5G signal, then the product cannot connect because the product has only a (cheap) 2.4G radio in it.
  • Most products will simply install, especially cameras.  With cameras, the smartphone setup process usually creates a SmartCode that the camera takes a picture of to set up the WiFi.  The smart code includes the WiFi SSID and password.  I have a whole box of different products that support only 2.4G and were installed using my Sony smartphone while it was connected to the Orbi at 5G.
  • For those rare products that purchased their WiFi integration app from some company that didn't understand what they were doing, there is a very specific "work around":
  •  
  • Go to the Orbi web access (http://orbilogin.net), Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless and "uncheck" the box labelled "Broadcast SSID" for the 5G band and click "Apply".  Every device that is currently connected to the Orbi at 5G will remain connected.
  • Open the smartphone WiFi settings and "Forget" the Orbi WiFi.
  • Re-open the smartphone WiFi settings, search for, and connect to the Orbi.  Because Orbi is not broadcasting an SSID on 5g, the Orbi WiFi access point that the phone chooses will be on 2.4G.
  • Use the app to set up the device.
  • Once the device is working correctly, reverse these steps, i.e.
    * Check "Broadcast SSID" and click "Apply"
    * "Forget" the Orbi WiFi, then search and reconnect.
Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Bambam5733 wrote:
Having trouble connecting to my honeywell thermostat and energizer video door bell. How can I force orbi to connect to these via 2.4???

The idea is not to force your orbi to do anything.   It's probably more of a case of forcing your phone to 2.4 if that's where the setup is performed.    

Lots of postings on this subject.   The search box is your friend 

Message 3 of 5

Message 4 of 5
RBK123
Aspirant

Honeywell Home Thermostat not connecting to Orbi

Latest solution to connect Honeywell Home Thermostat (Example: T6 Pro) to any of the single SSD band routers for example Orbi Mesh Wifi 6 router. Just disable the WAC settings in Honeywell Thermostat (Menu--> Wifi-->Press the right button->> once you see WAC settings select the option to disable and then follow steps in Resideo App to complete the steps to connect the device to Wifi, Configure and Register. No need to switch the WAC settings back to enable. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7