Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Not getting a strong 5ghz signal from Orbi

TomBertie
Aspirant

Not getting a strong 5ghz signal from Orbi

I have an Orbi pair with RBR50 and RBS50.  The Guest wifi is booming through at 5GHz but the private wifi seems to be weak in areas.  Having done some analysis it seems as though one of the units isn't transmitting the private network on 5GHZ as can be seen from the attached picture (Guest network seen at -46dB [Strong] and -78dB [Medium] but Home only seen at -77dB [Medium]).  You can see that all signals are visible at 2.4GHz.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Yours, TomOrbi screenshot.png

Message 1 of 8
Dustin278
Apprentice

@TomBertie wrote:

I have an Orbi pair with RBR50 and RBS50.  The Guest wifi is booming through at 5GHz but the private wifi seems to be weak in areas.  Having done some analysis it seems as though one of the units isn't transmitting the private network on 5GHZ as can be seen from the attached picture (Guest network seen at -46dB [Strong] and -78dB [Medium] but Home only seen at -77dB [Medium]).  You can see that all signals are visible at 2.4GHz.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Yours, TomOrbi screenshot.png

Probably issues with the firmware - what firmware do you have?

Message 2 of 8
TomBertie
Aspirant

Both units have the current firmware: V1.12.0.18
Message 3 of 8
Dustin278
Apprentice

@TomBertie wrote:
Both units have the current firmware: V1.12.0.18

I would have to suspect that the buggy firmware has something to blame with this - V2 for the firmware has no ETA and could be weeks away - I would try and a different channel for 5gh or see if you are having any interference from neighbors WiFi 

Message 4 of 8
TomBertie
Aspirant

Thanks. It isn't interference from the neighbors so I guess I'll have to hope the new firmware sorts it out. It's difficult to see it being a hardware problem given the guest network is fine, but I'm a little concerned that I haven't found any other reference to this type of problem
Message 5 of 8

disable the guest wifi and see if  the main wifi on 5 gig comes back

Message 6 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Your results look strange. Wherever you were when you made this measurement, you were seeing very weak signals on 2.4 GHz for both the router and your satellite. That would indicate poor coverage in that test location.  Yet, you show -46 for the guest on 5 GHz.  That doesn't make sense at all.

I'd suggest moving positions and repeat the measurement. If you suspect one of the units is not broadcasting one of the SSIDs, then move close to that unit and test. 

Also, you should only be using channels 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4 GHz, so I'd recommend changing channel settings there as well.

Message 7 of 8
Dustin278
Apprentice

Also make sure you have your transmission rate set to 100% for the 5ghz. You can do this in advanced settings
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7