Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not getting full speed Orbi is receiving and reporting

UnclePop
Initiate

Not getting full speed Orbi is receiving and reporting

I have an Orbi RBK40 set up with an Arris sb6183 modem. I pay for 600Mbps. My wired devices see between 450 and 515Mbps. I get that. What I don't understand is why, when I run the built-in speed test on my Orbi management page, it also sees 450Mbps, but when I run a speed test from either my iPhone 7 Plus or my mid-2015  MacBook Pro I only see speeds of around 300 Mbps. I am sitting 15 feet from the Router with a single layer of particle board between us. 

Why am I not getting at least 400 Mbps if that's what the router sees is available to distribute and the router and the internet devices are both capable of 450 Mbps?

Before I upgraded to the 600 Mbps package 2 days ago, I was on a 300 Mbps package. I routinely saw 350-360 Mbps. The lines are busier now with everyone home, quarantined, but I don't get why my wifi speed dropped even as my wired speed increased.

Any ideas?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Not getting full speed Orbi is receiving and reporting

I personally wouldn't get too concerned about speed.  It's normal to see different speeds at various connection points like Ethernet, WiFi, app, pc etc.

I've even seen variances while using the different so-called speed applications.  

As long as you're not seeing a lot of buffering while a streaming movie I wouldn't worry about

but there is hope, if you hang in here there will be others asking you all types of questions about your neighbors, WiFi channels, building material, etc.  have fun.  

Message 2 of 4
UnclePop
Initiate

@Retired_Member  , I AM concerned about speed, as that is the only reason I just paid to increase the service to my house.

I fully understand that there are differences between wired and wireless speeds and even that I will not receive all of the advertised speed that I am paying for and that there will be fluctuations in my modem speed throughout the day as neighborhood usage varies. I live in the woods, several acres from any other wifi signals that might interfere.  

What I don't understand is why my Orbi shows it is receiving 450 Mbps and is capable of delivering well over that speed to my devices wirelessly, under the right conditions, but I am only getting 2/3 of that in near ideal conditions.  My results are not coming anywhere near the results that multiple reviewers have seen. I am trying to figure out why. Do I have something configured incorrectly that is throttling my performance?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Test a PC directly connected to the ISP modem to confirm your speeds here as well. 

Factory reset the RBR, press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back ON. 

Walk thru the setup wizard and complete it. Do not enable Armor, Access Controls, Circle or Traffic Meter or Do a speed test with the built in QoS test on the RBR. 

Use Ooklas installable speed test app for Windows and Mac. Run the speed test from here. 

Let us know your results. 

Besure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and RBR and RBR to PC. CAT6 is recommended. 

What I get with my RBR50 wired:

900Mbps_v2.5.1.16.png

@UnclePop wrote:

I have an Orbi RBK40 set up with an Arris sb6183 modem. I pay for 600Mbps. My wired devices see between 450 and 515Mbps. I get that. What I don't understand is why, when I run the built-in speed test on my Orbi management page, it also sees 450Mbps, but when I run a speed test from either my iPhone 7 Plus or my mid-2015  MacBook Pro I only see speeds of around 300 Mbps. I am sitting 15 feet from the Router with a single layer of particle board between us. 

Why am I not getting at least 400 Mbps if that's what the router sees is available to distribute and the router and the internet devices are both capable of 450 Mbps?

Before I upgraded to the 600 Mbps package 2 days ago, I was on a 300 Mbps package. I routinely saw 350-360 Mbps. The lines are busier now with everyone home, quarantined, but I don't get why my wifi speed dropped even as my wired speed increased.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7