Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI 220V AC adapter works on 120V?

FTCK
Aspirant

ORBI 220V AC adapter works on 120V?

Hello, does the ORBI 220V AC adapter also functions on 120V?
The adapter mentions 220-240V, but often they actually are multi voltage.

Does anyone know if these AC adapters have this flexibility?

Thanks

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

This is one of those old chestnuts that has come up many times in the past. The only difference now is that we are talking about using a 240V transformer on 110 volts and not the other way round.

For various reasons, I have received a bunch of different Netgear boxes that arrived with 100-110 volt mains adapters of varying capacity. I have tested them all on 240 volts. Not one has gone bang. Some have happily delivered the right output voltage for many months.

If you think about it logically, what do you risk by plugging a 240-volt device into a 110-volt socket? Too few volts won't cause any harm. This is not necessarily the case with 110 volts plugged into 240 volts.

My guess is that Netgear doesn't want to mess around buying different adapters, but it also does not want the hassle of certifying devices for multi-voltage operation. So just stick the appropriate label on the thing.

If you plug it in and it does not work. Just buy a generic device with the right output.

Asking Netgear for an official nonsense is silly. They can't see what you have and may not even have the details needed without wasting hours of effort.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Does it mention any 110v-120v at all or only 220v-240v? 

Message 2 of 11
FTCK
Aspirant

It mentions 220-240V. But going through all the discussions here, I also read that they are made universal 110-240 and just change the print where appropriate for the destination.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Might contact NG to confirm is all. I presume it would be supporting of both voltages. 110v isn't going to burn it out. LOL

Message 4 of 11
theBrick89
Star

If it does not says on the sticker, it won’t work with 110-120v. You should get a separate adapter rated for it.
Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Would it be convenient to include a picture of this adapter, specifically the plug.?

As far as I can tell, nearly all of the countries with 120v power use "US style" A & B plugs.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plug-voltage-by-country/ 

None of the countries with 220-240v power use these plugs.

Message 6 of 11
theBrick89
Star

Message 7 of 11
theBrick89
Star

@CrimpOn wrote:

Would it be convenient to include a picture of this adapter, specifically the plug.?

As far as I can tell, nearly all of the countries with 120v power use "US style" A & B plugs.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plug-voltage-by-country/ 

None of the countries with 220-240v power use these plugs.

That is true. however, if the sticker says the adapter is rated for multi-voltage like 110-240v, you can easily buy a cheap international adapter/tip for it for under $5 

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Exactly right.  My thought was (a) it is pretty clear that adapters shipped in the US have US style plugs, but almost always say they are rated for 120-240v.  (b) If this adapter was originally shipped to a country with plugs designed for 240v power, one could make a case that "240v" actually means "240v".  If the plug was at the end of a cord (rather than part of the body of the power supply), it would make no sense for the body of the power supply to be different for different countries.

Hmmm.  In addition to a picture of the plug, is it possible to find the "part number" on the label somewhere?

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 11

This is one of those old chestnuts that has come up many times in the past. The only difference now is that we are talking about using a 240V transformer on 110 volts and not the other way round.

For various reasons, I have received a bunch of different Netgear boxes that arrived with 100-110 volt mains adapters of varying capacity. I have tested them all on 240 volts. Not one has gone bang. Some have happily delivered the right output voltage for many months.

If you think about it logically, what do you risk by plugging a 240-volt device into a 110-volt socket? Too few volts won't cause any harm. This is not necessarily the case with 110 volts plugged into 240 volts.

My guess is that Netgear doesn't want to mess around buying different adapters, but it also does not want the hassle of certifying devices for multi-voltage operation. So just stick the appropriate label on the thing.

If you plug it in and it does not work. Just buy a generic device with the right output.

Asking Netgear for an official nonsense is silly. They can't see what you have and may not even have the details needed without wasting hours of effort.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7