Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI + 4G LTE EXTENDER SAMSUNG FROM VERIZON = unable to connect to Verizon server

GRIVAL
Aspirant

ORBI + 4G LTE EXTENDER SAMSUNG FROM VERIZON = unable to connect to Verizon server

I have a Samsung 4G Extender that I purchased from Verizon that I need for working from my home office.

I have followed the instructions below but it is stuck at step 8 which is to connect to Verizon server - talking with Verizon it is stuck at the IPSec step trying to tunnel into Verizon server.

The extender managed to get an IP address from the ORBI and DNS server accessed on Port 53 but stuck trying to IPSec on port 500.

HEre are the steps Verizon advised to do:

1. Make sure your IPSec (VPN) passthrough is enabled or supported. Visit Netgear's Knowledge Base page on VPN documentation to learn more.
    >> Unable to enable VPN in the ORbi advanced setting when checking "Enable VPN" checkbox to enable VPN service and then click apply it returns this error message : " 400 Bad RequestThis server does not support the operation requested by your client." - since it is stuck on IPSec then this might be the source of the problem??
  2. Verify your Quality of Service (QoS) is enabled or supported. Visit Netgear's Knowledge Base page on QoS to learn how to enable it.
    >> Unsure how to enable this on Orbi - I'm assuming it is enabled by default.
  3. Make sure the following ports are enabled:
    • 123 UDP >> Would not let me enable this as it is already in use.
    • 4500 UDP >> Enabled
    • 500 UDP >> Enabled - Used for IPSec which is not reaching the server right now
    • 53 TCP / UDP >> Enabled - Successfully used to connect to Verizon DNS server
    • 52428 TCP / UDP >> Used to reach "location assistance" but unable to reach verizon server 

What am I missing? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
GRIVAL
Aspirant

Re: ORBI + 4G LTE EXTENDER SAMSUNG FROM VERIZON = unable to connect to Verizon server

PROBLEM SOLVED 

In the hope that this might help someone else, I just called Verizon and turns out they didn't have the extender provisioned - so they did it over the phone and it all started to work.

I also decided to remove the extender from DMZ - for security reasons - and it's still working fine.

Did a few test calls and watched the status stay green for 20minutes now. 

Thanks for the support.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try this, remove the Port Foward configuration for the extender from the RBR. Input the IP address the extender is getting from the RBR into the RBRs DMZ. I do this for my ATTmicrocell. Works great. 

Message 2 of 8
GRIVAL
Aspirant

I removed the port forwarding - seems it did not impact the working DNS port.

And I added the extender IP to DMZ.

Still same status.

Router Firmware Version V2.3.1.60 on the Orbi

Connected to a ISP Modem from SPECTRUM Model= E31N2V1 Brand= Hotron Technologies, Inc. Type= DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA

just in case extender info= Verizon SAMSUNG 4G LTE Extender Model#SLS-BU103

Message 3 of 8
GRIVAL
Aspirant

Here is the extender Status after these changes:

Server Connectivity Status
Server                                Status                     Date & Time IP                           Address & Port
DNS                                  Reachable              06-04-2019 12:58:16 GMT        IP 192.168.1.1 Port 53
IPSec                                Not Reachable        06-04-2019 12:58:19 GMT        IP Port 500
Location Assistance           Not Reachable       06-04-2019 18:30:46 GMT         IP 209.210.15.73 Port 52428
Message 4 of 8
GRIVAL
Aspirant

PROBLEM SOLVED 

In the hope that this might help someone else, I just called Verizon and turns out they didn't have the extender provisioned - so they did it over the phone and it all started to work.

I also decided to remove the extender from DMZ - for security reasons - and it's still working fine.

Thanks for the support.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@GRIVAL wrote:
>> Unable to enable VPN in the ORbi advanced setting when checking "Enable VPN" checkbox to enable VPN service and then click apply it returns this error message : " 400 Bad RequestThis server does not support the operation requested by your client." - since it is stuck on IPSec then this might be the source of the problem??

Yes, that's most likely the problem. The community, and much more Netgear does have to know which firmware is currently on your RBR50.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah glad it was a service issue over a configuration issue. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@GRIVAL wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED 

Thanks for the support.

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

We're happy it works for you now, enjoy!

There is still the strange error message you showed above which does hurt my heart for some better Netgear firmware quality. Ok, I would have died a hundred times .... reminds me to the charter flight where a group of software project managers from different businesses was departing towards a workshop abroad. There was some delay, so one of the organizers asked into the round who would be scared of your organization made software used to fly this plane. Only one guy stayed seated and calm. How comes, Sir? Well, with our software we would not even reach the runway. He must work for Netgear now.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7