Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI AC 2200; RBK20W

LaSabana
Aspirant

ORBI AC 2200; RBK20W

Hello, 

I thought I might reach out once again to this community to see if anyone can offer a step by step process to resolve an ongoing issue with my Orbi.

My current NG Firmware is:v2.3.5.26. Currently, Windows10 Home v1903; OS build 18362.67.

I installed this Router/Satellite in Sept 2018. Within the 90 day warrenty period I contact ORBI support 4x. The issue that i was and still experiencing is when I have the ethernet 5e cable connected from the ORBI ethernet to my computer ethernet I can navigate the internet for a couple hours when I lose the page and receive a message "..Hmm this page is not responing.. cannot locate page". And this necessitates me to disconnect the ethernet connection and return to WiFi at which time I can once again navigate w/o issue. On a previous post on this community an individual indicated that this issue is known by ORBI should resolve with a following Firmware update also, this individual recommended setting changes to Diasy chain and MIMO??. The firmware updates to did not change this performance. When I initailly contacted ORBI support, two separate individuals had me change some DNS settings and while this seemed to correct the issue the problem return w/in a couple of days. Can anyone provide a process or changes that I can apply so that I can use the faster ethernet connection? Thank you.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
How many RBS do you have deployed? 1 or 2? Daisy chain is only needed for 2 or more satellites when placed out in a line from the RBR. 

Are you wire connected to the back of the RBR or RBS? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 22
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thank you FURRYe38 for your detailed reply much appreciated. The ISP modem is ARRIS SB6190. I am not sure but I assumed that the ORBI is in the router mode. And I am connected to the router in fact, my 5e cable is connected to the ethernet that is located on the back of the router and to my computer which is about 4ft away.  I have one Satellite which is 45-48 ft from the Router base; home is 1350sqft.

FURRYe38, I just want to be clear that I am not experiencing any issue on the WiFi side in fact, my ISP is providing 150mbps and i am seeing on ORBI internet speed 175 up and 6.00 down. And we do have many WiFi users in the area. So your thought is to try the last 3 sentences of your reply:

What channels are you using?.Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless SettingsTry disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Thank you

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, power OFF both ISP modem and RBR for 1 minute, then power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the RBR. 

Message 4 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

The Arris SB1690 is definitely "only a modem".  There appear to be some complaints about performance: https://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/sb6190/

So, the Orbi must be in router mode, and this rules out a whole host of potential issues.

Could you please share the DNS settings?

The next time this happens, is it correct to say that in addition to the page that cannot be located, that NO web site can be reached?

If you are familiar with the Windows "Command Line" interface, when this happens again, could you open a CMD windows and type:

nslookup google.com

ipconfig /all

Thanks

Message 5 of 22
LaSabana
Aspirant

Thank you CrimpOn for your reply. It is correct that while i am online AND connected via my Cat5e cable from Orbi router to my computer i''l be surfing for awhile then suddenly, i'll receive a message that this site cannot be "Hmm...located or unresponsive.." etc, but once i remove he cable and return to WiFi then there is no issue. The Primary DNS: 75.75.75.75.Secondary DNS:75.75.76.76 and third DNS is blank, no values. Is there a modem that is better compatible w/ORBI? Currently, i am getting from my ISP 150mbps up and 6 down per ORBI internet speed and that is what i am paying for. I will foloowup next time w/your suggestion CMD etc. Thank you

Message 6 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for responding.  Could you be more specific about what happens when one web site is unresponsive.  What I expect is that all web sites, on all browsers stop working.  So, bringing up a different browser makes no difference.  Or, opening some other program that uses the internet, like an email client (Thunderbird?  Outlook?) also fails.  Before pulling the ethernet cable, it might be worth confirming. and then also record those CMD responses before pulling the cable.

I believe these IP addresses are the DNS servers for Comcast Cable.  Is Comcast your internet supplier?

Just to clarify: typically "download" speeds are higher than "upload" speeds, because  typical consumer send very little "up" and most of their traffic is coming "down."

Message 7 of 22
ekhalil
Master

Do you see the same issue if using another computer?
Looks to me that the PC -for some reason- is loosing the gateway IP address (Orbi’s IP)? Can you please configure this in the Windows interface settings and see if this will make any changes.
Is the PC connected directly to Orbi or via a switch? What other wired devices are connected to Orbi?
Message 8 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:
Do you see the same issue if using another computer?
Looks to me that the PC -for some reason- is loosing the gateway IP address (Orbi’s IP)? Can you please configure this in the Windows interface settings and see if this will make any changes.

This may need more explanation.  When a Windows computer is set up for DHCP, the IP address, subnetmask, gateway IP, and dns IP's are provided by the DHCP server.  They seemed to work for an hour or so, and then the PC (apparently) forgets either the gateway address, the dns IP's, (or both?)  Am I correct that you are suggesting the user change from DHCP to a static setup and see if that persists for a longer time?

Message 9 of 22
ekhalil
Master

Exactly, I suspect that the computer looses the DHCP information since it finds some other gateway. May be another device in the network is acting as a DHCP server?
Need to find the other “server” or set the computer to fixed IP.
Message 10 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Interesting concept.  Thanks.  Looks like the user has a couple of debugging options: (1) when web access fails, report what the current IP, Gateway, and DNS entries are.  If they have changed from the Orbi DHCP values, as Sherlock said, "the game is afoot".  (2) move to a static setup and see how long that lasts.  Option (1) might point to the culprit, and option (2) might create a stable environment but not provide clues to what caused the problem.

Message 11 of 22
LaSabana
Aspirant

Hi ekhalil, 

Thank you for your response and I see that crimpOn is following this thread- thanks I really appreciate the input. Ekhalil this pc is directly connected to the Ethernet jack on the backside of the router, in fact on this router there is only one Ethernet port. And I am connected via 4ft cat5e cable to the Ethernet jack on my computer. No other wired devices are connected and unfortunately, I have only one computer; no switches used. I see what you are saying but the truth is I am not sure if understand how to apply it. I would appreciate if you could breakdown how I can move forward so that I use Ethernet vs strictly WiFi mode. Thanks again.

Message 12 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@LaSabana wrote:

........... I see what you are saying but the truth is I am not sure if understand how to apply it. I would appreciate if you could breakdown how I can move forward so that I use Ethernet vs strictly WiFi mode. Thanks again.

Please see attached snapshots:

1. Please open the Local Area Connection Properties, by right clicking on the internet icon in the taskbar.
  2. Select Internat Version 4 TCP/IP configuration, and click Properties
  3. Keep the IP part as it is (obtain IP address from Orbi's DHCP)
  4. Change the DNS part to a fix IP address which is Orbi's IP address, should be 192.168.1.1 if you did not change the default value.
  5. I also would recommend to set a reserved IP address for the PC in Orbi, using the web GUI >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> LAN Setup >> ADD and add the PC's MAC address and assign a vacant IP address to it.
Message 13 of 22
ekhalil
Master

... and the other snapshot 🙂

Message 14 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Interesting concept.  Thanks.  Looks like the user has a couple of debugging options: (1) when web access fails, report what the current IP, Gateway, and DNS entries are.  If they have changed from the Orbi DHCP values, as Sherlock said, "the game is afoot".  (2) move to a static setup and see how long that lasts.  Option (1) might point to the culprit, and option (2) might create a stable environment but not provide clues to what caused the problem.

I also agree with @CrimpOn that making the suggested CMD printouts will help identify the issue when it happens. We might be able to get information if there is any other device in the network who is acting like a Gateway / DHCP server.

Message 15 of 22
LaSabana
Aspirant

Hi Ekhalil, thank you for taking the time to forward this info. Thanks to your attachment i did locate the settings. And this is what i see: Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) is checked. Also, Internet Protocol Version6(TCP/IPv6) is checked. IPv4DNS servers 192.168.1.1; IPv4 address 192.168.1.14.

Should i continue with item 4 and 5 in your reply? 

Message 16 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@LaSabana wrote:

........ Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) is checked. Also, Internet Protocol Version6(TCP/IPv6) is checked. IPv4DNS servers 192.168.1.1; IPv4 address 192.168.1.14.

Should i continue with item 4 and 5 in your reply? 

• Please uncheck the IPv6.
  • Yes please, continue with item 4 and 5 as explained earlier.
Message 17 of 22
LaSabana
Aspirant

OK got it. With respect to your second attachment; GENERAL tab Internet Protocolv4(TCP/IPv4) Properties is the location where i need to add the 192.168.1.1 address-am i correct? And Lastly, step 5 is done in the ORBI gateway site-am i correct?I am attaching a screenshot of what i see with respect to your second attachment. Ekahlil i can't that you enough for you patience.

Message 18 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@LaSabana wrote:

........ GENERAL tab Internet Protocolv4(TCP/IPv4) Properties is the location where i need to add the 192.168.1.1 address-am i correct? .......

Correct. Please see the attachement

@LaSabana wrote:

........ And Lastly, step 5 is done in the ORBI gateway site-am i correct?......

Correct. Step 5 needs to be done in the Orbi web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> LAN Setup >> then click on ADD on the bottom of the page. You need the MAC address of your PC's ethernet port for this step.

Message 19 of 22
ekhalil
Master

How are things going? All ok? 😉
Message 20 of 22
LaSabana
Aspirant

Hi Ekhalil,

Thanks for your followup. I have not as yet applied these updates. I had unexpected hand surgery the other day but i am going to apply these asap.  Two Questions: if, in the event these changes do not work is it a matter of reversing whatever steps i intiated?Also, if need to use this laptop away from the ethernet and go temporarily wifi-- no issues? I can't thank you enough for your assistance.

Message 21 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@LaSabana wrote:

Also, if need to use this laptop away from the ethernet and go temporarily wifi-- no issues?

This is correct.  The modifications were to the "local area connection", i.e. the ethernet port.  The WiFi connection is configured separately and has not been touched.

Just to be clear.  It remains unknown what is causing the problem and we have been suggesting ways to look for the source of the problem.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7