Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Blocks Access to Playstation Network

NigelCheetham
Aspirant

ORBI Blocks Access to Playstation Network

We recently installed the Orbi system with two satellites, to replace my existing Netgear Router (model R6400). Once setup, my son lost his ability to log into the Playstation network (he has a Playstation 4-Pro with the latest version of their software (5.5)). When he tried to log in, he received an error code:  NP-40831-6. This error code doesn't exist in the official Playstation Error code website (https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/#!/error-code/). Interestingly, on any laptop connected to the Orbi - we couldn't log into the Playstation network either (https://auth.api.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/2.0/oauth/). There are some comments in the Playstation forum - but no solutions. We called our ISP because we thought they might be the source of the problem; they had me connect my laptop directly to the cable modem and, voila, the Playstation Network login page appeared. Therefore, it has to be the Orbi router.

However, we contacted the Playstation Network support and they told us we should open the following ports for UDP/TCP (80, 443,3478-3480). So, I contacted Orbi Support (case #30149527) and they walked me through the process of opening those ports. This did not solve the problem - my son still can't log into the Playstation network with error number NP-40831-6. On a whim, I connected my old Netgear Router (model R6400) to the cable modem, and my son could connect. Therefore, this error is not the ISP, not Playstation network, and not my old router. The problem is the the ORBI router. I have also tried turning off Parental Controls on the Router - it does not solve the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model of the ISP modem the router is connected too?

Try change NAT Filter to Open under Advanced settings/Wan setup.

Message 2 of 8
djimrie
Aspirant

Hi there, I just hit exactly the same issue - connected my new Orbi system up today and suddenly none of the 3 PS4's we have in the household could log in to PSN.  They all have Internet access just fine - can browse pages, etc.

I stumbled across the solution (well, a workaround), which is to configure the Internet settings manually, leave getting the IP address and DNS as automatic, but change the MTU from 1500 to 1472.  As soon as I did that, can now login to PSN just fine on all of the PS4's!

Very annoying - it worked fine with Google Wifi, and previous Netgear router, just not Orbi........hope that helps!

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model of the ISP modem the router is connected too? If it's DSL, then yes, you may need to use a lower MTU value.

For cable modems, 1500 should be the standard. Check with your ISP for this information as well.

Try change NAT Filter to Open under Advanced settings/Wan setup.

@djimrie wrote:

Hi there, I just hit exactly the same issue - connected my new Orbi system up today and suddenly none of the 3 PS4's we have in the household could log in to PSN.  They all have Internet access just fine - can browse pages, etc.

I stumbled across the solution (well, a workaround), which is to configure the Internet settings manually, leave getting the IP address and DNS as automatic, but change the MTU from 1500 to 1472.  As soon as I did that, can now login to PSN just fine on all of the PS4's!

Very annoying - it worked fine with Google Wifi, and previous Netgear router, just not Orbi........hope that helps!

Message 4 of 8
NigelCheetham
Aspirant

Cable modem is:

Arris model number: TM1602.

The internet provider is: Optimum (CableVision).

I opened the NAT filtering and the Network Status screen started showing the Playstation network (before it would just show that we were connected). However, the Playstation now reports that the Playstation Network is currently unavailable.

Thanks for your help though - I think we are one big step closer to domestic bliss!

Best regards,

Nigel 

Message 5 of 8
NigelCheetham
Aspirant

I lowered the MTU to 1472 - but it hasn't solved the problem. The Playstation Network is still unavailable.

Thanks though,

Nigel

Message 6 of 8
NigelCheetham
Aspirant

Here's some more information:

It is not just the PS4 - but something else. If I go to any PC on my network and try to access the Entertainment Network from a browser, I get the following error:

An error has occurred, please try again later (800101).

The URL I am trying to access is:

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/

So, this isn't just a Playstation console problem - it is something more sinsiter.

Best regards,

Nigel

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Lets put NAT Filter back to secure save settings and reboot the router.

Besure to do a full power down or if possible a network reset on the game console before applying the change and turning the console back ON.  I know with xbox, if you hold the power button until the console turns off, this clears any networking caches and does a soft reset. Not sure of PS has anything like this.

Only other item you should have enabled is uPnP. No Port Forward configurations should be needed.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7