Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI CBR40 using Comcast Xfinity 75mbps only getting 45mbps speeds

07pilot4me
Aspirant

ORBI CBR40 using Comcast Xfinity 75mbps only getting 45mbps speeds

Hello All,

recently upgraded to Xfinity internet 75MBPS . connected via CBR40 , i currently have 2 sattelites RBS 20 and RBS 50. 1 story 2300 SQ ft house. im not getting the advertised speed. only getting 45-50mbps

1) already did the recomended tweaks, turned off daisy chain, MIMO, fast internet. connected only to channel 6. turned off ipv6, disabled 20/40 khz box.

2) i know the first suggestion would be too many sattelites, i have an issue where i need to connect an OOMA to a sattelite . do i just stick with 1 sattelite and let the rest connect wirelessly??

3) Sattelite 1 will be connected to OOMA, there are 2 walls between the satttelite and router. they are 30 ft apart.

4) Sattelite 2 is in living room. will be 1 solid door between sattelite and router.  they are about 40 ft apart

5) when i reboot the router (after setting the channel 6)  the speeds goes up to 85mbps, then tests after say only 45mbps

5a) FW for router and sattelites upgraded to latest

6) FWIW , the orbi app says download speed 85mbps.... the ookla and fast.com apps say 45-50 mbps (both via phone and laptop)

any advise would be appreciated. TIA  🙂 

thanks

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
07pilot4me
Aspirant

Re: ORBI CBR40 using Comcast Xfinity 75mbps only getting 45mbps speeds

i think i may have solved my problem

1) did a physical reboot of router, let devices connect to router

2) after 1 hour, turned on 1st sattelite.

3)after 2nd hour turned on 2nd sattelite.

now getting advertized speeds through speedtest and fast.com

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

OOMA makes many products. 

An internet speed of 45-50mb is adequate for almost anything.  No need to disconnect one of the satellites.

Many people on this forum have 4-5 satellites with up to 100 WiFi devices connected.

I would expect the WiFi performance to degrade the farther away a satellite is placed.

When you test speed with a smartphone or laptop, does it change depending on which Orbi it connects to?

(Sometimes, devices will "stick" to whichever Orbi they connect to. The way to get them to change is to power them off, move close to the desired Orbi, and then power back on again.)  Confirm with the Orbi "Attached Devices" page which unit they are connected to before doing the speed test.

Message 2 of 6
07pilot4me
Aspirant

thanks for the reply, i will try this as a solution when i get home. also since there are 2 sattelites, should i be messing with the power *25%,50%,75% on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band.

the main thing that bothers me i guess is i paid for a 75mbps speed and sometimes it connects at that speed and sometimes slower... for refercence the previous ISP was a 50 mbps and was consistent at 45mbps speed throughout the house even w 2 sattelites. ( i changed ISP due to cost )

also would it help if i did a physical reboot of the router?? 

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

A reboot (or power off and back on) can't hurt.  In the "old days", we used to do that once a week "just because."

My Orbi has been turned on for 94 days.

My memory is that internet speed varies depending on load.  Fastest when everyone was away at work and slowest when they all came home and began to "stream".

Message 4 of 6
07pilot4me
Aspirant

the app reboots i have been doing and does not work. What im thinking is doing the physical reboot where it re sets the software to original. ill report back if this is succesfull (or should i even try this if i already did the app reboots)

Message 5 of 6
07pilot4me
Aspirant

i think i may have solved my problem

1) did a physical reboot of router, let devices connect to router

2) after 1 hour, turned on 1st sattelite.

3)after 2nd hour turned on 2nd sattelite.

now getting advertized speeds through speedtest and fast.com

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7